IUBB '24/‘25

DC2345

2 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Was just looking at the B1G standings and stats.  IU is the only B1G team to allow more points than scored on the full season. That includes 7-11 Michigan

Yup…it’s a product of getting blown out multiple times and winning by small margins. I fully expect next game to be another blowout to add to Woodson double digit loss statistics.

Edited by Hoosier987

Did any reporter ask why they covered Morton like he was Rick Mount ?

if MM fell into his lap at the last second were they planning on 2 empty scholarships?

Did they not scout any portal players after the top 20?

It feels like they go for high 4 & 5 star recruits & portal guys 

12 minutes ago, Purdue7 said:

Did any reporter ask why they covered Morton like he was Rick Mount ?

if MM fell into his lap at the last second were they planning on 2 empty scholarships?

Did they not scout any portal players after the top 20?

It feels like they go for high 4 & 5 star recruits & portal guys 

He doesn’t like to answer those type of questions typically, at least publicly. Which is his decision, but if there was a good answer giving it could sure help his public opinion. 

.....When one your best players is admits there is disconnect with the team, that's when you know it's bad. 

Disconnect can be like a Cancer that to a team. The big difference is, disconnect is mental and can be fixed through respect, attitude change and winning.

“We’ve got to figure out how to be one on the court,” Reneau said. “I feel like we’re kind of disconnected in some ways.”

“I feel like the disconnection starts when [opponents] go on their runs,” Reneau said, “and I feel like we start to not trust each other.”

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

.....When one your best players is admits there is disconnect with the team, that's when you know it's bad. 

Disconnect can be like a Cancer that to a team. The big difference is, disconnect is mental and can be fixed through respect, attitude change and winning.

“We’ve got to figure out how to be one on the court,” Reneau said. “I feel like we’re kind of disconnected in some ways.”

“I feel like the disconnection starts when [opponents] go on their runs,” Reneau said, “and I feel like we start to not trust each other.”

my son's team was that way last season.  they didn't really have anyone capable of taking over a game and when they played good, smart, patient, unselfish ball, they were pretty good.  could play with most teams.  when things went poorly 3 of them would all decide they needed to be the guy who stepped up and tried to take over.  it would become clear that the whole team was pressing too much and they would play worse and worse.  minus a couple of those guys and now a new coach and they play together and accept roles and they are 3rd in the state.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Artesian_86 said:

This team really lacks on the court leadership. Verbally and by play. There is none one to go make a play when things get tough. Reneau does his best but sometimes has to force it. Galloway tries too.  But this team has times where struggles to get stops and score. X has been a major disappointment in leadership. No one gets into the other guys to step it up

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, 94hoosier said:

This team really lacks on the court leadership. Verbally and by play. There is none one to go make a play when things get tough. Reneau does his best but sometimes has to force it. Galloway tries too.  But this team has times where struggles to get stops and score. X has been a major disappointment in leadership. No one gets into the other guys to step it up

Yeah, I feel bad for Malik. He's trying to be a leader and he's become the one reliable go to guy. But I can see why he sometimes forces things because he can't trust his teammates to make a play. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Yeah, I feel bad for Malik. He's trying to be a leader and he's become the one reliable go to guy. But I can see why he sometimes forces things because he can't trust his teammates to make a play. 

I don’t. Malik doesn’t work hard on the boards or on defense most of the time. So I can’t feel bad for him. 

11 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

But our fans are the problem

That kind of fan support is a blessing when things are going well and a curse when it isn't.  In basketball we are like 1980's and 90's and early 2000's Alabama.  Just kind of mediocre for the most part.  They had their title in 1992 and we had a run in 2001.  Other than that, they were kind of meh from 1980 to 2009.  Sure there were seasons here and there that were good but nothing huge to write home about.

Then they got their guy and things took off.  That is Indiana.  This place is hard to coach at if you are just kind of mediocre.  People want to win.  The fan support is awesome if people feel like things are progressing forward.  When things start to turn south though, the patience isn't there.  I think as a coach you have to embrace that reality.

You cannot go into a bunker here and you cannot look like you are treating this like a hobby.  If you aren't winning, you have to be as honest as you can be with why.  "My guys aren't getting it..."  OK, so what are you doing about that?  If things are going well though, this place is magical.  There are few that can compare.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

That kind of fan support is a blessing when things are going well and a curse when it isn't.  In basketball we are like 1980's and 90's and early 2000's Alabama.  Just kind of mediocre for the most part.  They had their title in 1992 and we had a run in 2001.  Other than that, they were kind of meh from 1980 to 2009.  Sure there were seasons here and there that were good but nothing huge to write home about.

Then they got their guy and things took off.  That is Indiana.  This place is hard to coach at if you are just kind of mediocre.  People want to win.  The fan support is awesome if people feel like things are progressing forward.  When things start to turn south though, the patience isn't there.  I think as a coach you have to embrace that reality.

You cannot go into a bunker here and you cannot look like you are treating this like a hobby.  If you aren't winning, you have to be as honest as you can be with why.  "My guys aren't getting it..."  OK, so what are you doing about that?  If things are going well though, this place is magical.  There are few that can compare.

I think your comparison to Alabama is spot on.  Of course at some point we have to find our Nick Saban.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

What are they talking about?

Thats the good side of IU fans.... interactive, engaged, following  coaches, teams, and (probably) most important recruits/players.

The bad side.... as much as I hate the negativity, I love this board because most people can have a discussion with differing opinions. I believe the issue lies outside of this board and on social media. with those 1 million followers you have a greater percentage of fans posting things. A greater percentage of those are negative currently. It's not just that they are negative. It's the message. It's how it is delivered. Everyone has a voice there. I mean look at Dan Jockitch. That doesn't go unnoticed. I am not sure how big of an issue it is, but if I was Liam McNeeley, I would have some concerns. 

4 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

Thats the good side of IU fans.... interactive, engaged, following  coaches, teams, and (probably) most important recruits/players.

The bad side.... as much as I hate the negativity, I love this board because most people can have a discussion with differing opinions. I believe the issue lies outside of this board and on social media. with those 1 million followers you have a greater percentage of fans posting things. A greater percentage of those are negative currently. It's not just that they are negative. It's the message. It's how it is delivered. Everyone has a voice there. I mean look at Dan Jockitch. That doesn't go unnoticed. I am not sure how big of an issue it is, but if I was Liam McNeeley, I would have some concerns. 

Exactly 

22 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

Got it. Do you think other major programs don’t have those same issues? I will admit to not following what other fanbases do closely, so I can’t do anything more than guess.

I can see how our issues, good and bad, scale because of the size of our fan base. Seems like you need the right personality to embrace the high risk, high reward of playing/coaching here. 

37 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Got it. Do you think other major programs don’t have those same issues? I will admit to not following what other fanbases do closely, so I can’t do anything more than guess.

I can see how our issues, good and bad, scale because of the size of our fan base. Seems like you need the right personality to embrace the high risk, high reward of playing/coaching here. 

None of the other fan bases that compare to Indiana are in as big of a rut as we are now.  Louisville might be the closest.  What does their Twitter look like?  Kentucky people would be apoplectic about the state of their program if they had suffered through our past two decades.  Same with North Carolina and Kansas.

Look at Ohio State in football.  Two really good years where they didn't beat a rival or make the college playoffs and they are already howling.  Indiana fans were too patient back in the early 2000's.  We should have gone crazy and ran a whole bunch of people out of the University but we kind of sat back and waited thinking things would right themselves.  They won't.  All of the built in benefits of a program like Indiana are an advantage only if being properly directed.  It is a rudderless program and has been for awhile.

Edited by IUCrazy2
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

they do, but not to the extent. I think our overreaction at times exacerbates the issue. Coach Cal seems to have made it through, at least temporarily. But I would put us up there with Kentucky in terms of overreaction and temperamental fan bases. But i dont think any other major program has experienced what we have in the last 20 years. 

I think you can go down the list of every coach, and say they would not have lasted here in the current environment based on their results. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

If this shows anything, it's that the fans are engaged, not apathetic. It could very well signify that the fans are a source of problem if the majority of the 1 million are disgruntled and complaining.

Yeah I can see how a bunch of pissed of fans might be worse than just not having many fans, but it seems like if utilized properly that could be an advantage few can match.

23 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

If this shows anything, it's that the fans are engaged, not apathetic. It could very well signify that the fans are a source of problem if the majority of the 1 million are disgruntled and complaining.

Yeah, its kind of one of those chicken/egg things. 

Kansas, Kentucky, UNC, Duke, etc., have fans just as crazy as IU fans. 

The difference is that those programs have delivered winners. Those programs for the most part are delivering on their promise of being ranked, winning conference titles, competing for and largely delivering Final Fours and National Titles. 

Maybe IU fans are worse over the last 25 years, but that's because the program isn't holding up their end of the bargain. 

• Like 2