Bob Knight passed away today.

16 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

He and my dad were the same age. My dad passed away 5 years earlier almost to the day. Many of the happiest moments of my childhood and even young adult years were watching his teams with my dad. I’m sitting on the couch in my man cave revisiting some of those memories with tears welling up in my eyes. Thank you, Coach, for those great memories you helped provide for me. 

My Dad passed away last December. When I saw the news about Bob Knight the first thought in my mind was to grab my phone and call my Dad to tell him or see if he had heard. Like you and many of us, so many of my Bob Knight thoughts are tied to my Dad. 

Took me a beat to remember that I couldn't call him.  

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

I was at basketball camp when news came that Len Bias had passed. Bob Knight sat the whole camp down in the fieldhouse, and proceeded to urge, beg, yell and cuss at us to never do drugs. I was close enough to the front to see that Coach was crying. Thanks for changing so many lives Coach.

Edited by HPER Smooth
  • Like 3
  • Sad 4

19 minutes ago, HPER Smooth said:

I was at basketball camp when news came that Len Bias had passed. Bob Knight sat the whole camp down in the fieldhouse, and proceeded to urge, beg, yell and cuss at us to never do drugs. I was close enough to the front to see that Coach was crying. Thanks for changing so many lives Coach.

I went to camp a few times, but the first time, Joby Wright introduced coach, and MY IDOL AND HERO, strides up to the podium, and says, "NO F*****G hats, did you all not hear them tell you to take your hats off?"

Hats all around the room FLEW OFF.  I'll never forget it, and so many other memories because of you coach.  My heart is real heavy tonight.  This little boy from Portage loves you.

Edited by mookied39

10 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I may just have to dig out my copy of 'A Season on The Brink' and give it a read.  Have 2-3 other Knight-centric books that deserve a re-read as well.  

If that was a season on the Brink I'd take it every year minus the tapout to Cleveland St in the 1st rd. I guess the book was written because of the season before?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mookied39 said:

I went to camp a few times, but the first time, Joby Wright introduced coach, and MY IDOL AND HERO, strides up to the podium, and says, "NO F*****G hats, did you all not hear them tell you to take your hats off?"

Hats all around the room FLEW OFF.  I'll never forget it, and so many other memories because of you coach.  My heart is real heavy tonight.  This little boy from Portage loves you.

What years did you go?  I'm guessing a few before me. I'll give coach some serious credit.  He was who he was, he was consistent, and didn't change for anyone. 

2 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

As great as he was as a coach, CRMK’s legacy is all the things he did unrelated to a game. RIP coach. Find peace and comfort knowing that you influenced so many others. 

I only believe half those off court stories. Did he get out of line, sure I believe that, but I don't believe ALL of it. 

I've met the man, attended his camps, got shirts and the 92 ff4 game autographed.  He can an asshole, and a pretty decent guy. 

Maybe he was undiagnosed bi-polar?

Edited by mrflynn03