Bob Knight passed away today.

13 hours ago, Parakeet Jones said:

He and my dad were the same age. My dad passed away 5 years earlier almost to the day. Many of the happiest moments of my childhood and even young adult years were watching his teams with my dad. I’m sitting on the couch in my man cave revisiting some of those memories with tears welling up in my eyes. Thank you, Coach, for those great memories you helped provide for me. 

My dad (who died in 1991) and CBK looked alot alike ALOT... same type demeanor as well...when I got to see Bobby I got to see my dad ... I miss both now.

IMG_1041.jpeg

IMG_2007.jpeg

IMG_7886.jpeg

best I could do...

Edited by Dawg Bawls
  • Like 8

8 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

It's unreal how few points separates him from 3 to possibly  7 or 8 Championships.

Fork Wooden. Bobby Knight was better than that assclown 

I recall CBK had a saying about 'what could of should have been...'

But, yes, '74-'75 is arguably the best IU team ever (stopped by Scott May's broken arm), the promise of the '81-'82 team before Turner's tragic accident, and Alan Henderson's knee injury late in the season.  That is 2 very possible titles lost and one potentially lost.

Edited by Zuckerkorn
  • Like 1

I walked into a brewery here in Charleston last night and noticed one of the TVs had IU basketball on. I just knew that Coach had passed.  I had a hard time fighting back the tears.  My Mom(a big Coach Knight fan too) has dementia as well.  It's such a sad thing to go through.  My heart goes out to the Knight family.

I have so many awesome memories of Coach.   Him buying Mother Bears pizza for a bunch of us camped out at AH waiting to buy season tickets was one of my favorites.  My mom even had a Coach encounter once.  Her and her two sisters were in Nashville and they ran into him in some dress shop.  He was there shopping for a birthday present for his wife. I'm sure he was busy but he took time to talk with them and sign autographs.  Pretty sure they triple teamed him and he didn't stand a chance.  Haha.  My Mom couldn't wait to tell me and show me the autograph.  

I'm smiling and tearing up typing this.  RIP coach!!!

• Like 5

Someone mentioned on hoosier.com that there needs to be a statue sculpted and erected of Coach Knight. I totally agree and I LOVE the idea! It most likely will happen sooner than later, but I sure would love to see one right outside Assembly Hall as you walk in the main entrance. I'm sure there will be one inside Cook Hall. Here are a couple photos that I would like to see turn into a memorial statue...... JMO...

A victory net is draped around Bob Knight's neck after IU defeated Syracuse in 1987 for his third NCAA title.

685 Bob Knight Basketball Coach Stock Photos, High-Res Pictures, and Images  - Getty Images

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

Someone mentioned on hoosier.com that there needs to be a statue sculpted and erected of Coach Knight. I totally agree and I LOVE the idea! It most likely will happen sooner than later, but I sure would love to see one right outside Assembly Hall as you walk in the main entrance. I'm sure there will be one inside Cook Hall. Here are a couple photos that I would like to see turn into a memorial statue...... JMO...

A victory net is draped around Bob Knight's neck after IU defeated Syracuse in 1987 for his third NCAA title.

685 Bob Knight Basketball Coach Stock Photos, High-Res Pictures, and Images  - Getty Images

The red is classic motivator ...

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

That is what I would want the statue to personify....Great Coach, Great Leader and Motivator. I didn't want him to look angry or yelling, but determined and encouraging.....

Im still scared to do a lay up... at camp he scolded me for about 2 mins in front of everyone..., i was too short to be driving to basket... so he "motivated" me to learn to drain 3's...

Edited by Dawg Bawls
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Artesian_86 said:

Not only a statue, but the floor should be named after him. It would be on display for all to see, especially on TV.

• Like 4

I was at Purdue (🤮) last night watching my Alma Mater (Grace) play PU. It felt “wrong/weird” enough having to be in Mackey but then when they announced that Coach had died ……it just added to it. Of all the places to be when you hear it. Grew up watching ya Coach, RIP. 💔😢

Edited by rd726
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, rd726 said:

I was at Purdue (🤮) last night watching my Alma Mater (Grace) play PU. It felt “wrong/weird” enough having to be in Mackey but then when they announced that Coach had died ……it just added to it. Of all the places to be when you hear it. Grew up watching ya Coach, RIP. 💔😢

Curiosity asked me how they responded there...?

13 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

Reading through this thread, it seems many of us have similar experiences.  My guess is that many of us are similar in age, and our fathers were from the same generation as coach.  They came from a time when men were hard, and love was tough, and I mean both of those things with the highest respect.  They came from a time when doing what needed to be done took precedence over doing what felt good, when trophies were reserved for winners, not participants.  Like my own father, Coach taught that simply wanting something was not enough, that you had to earn it, because there was no value in something given, but there was immense value and pride in something earned.  I’ll shed some tears today, some for my dad, and some for coach, but most of the tears I shed today will be for the people who never had a man like them in their lives.

Well said, my friend…..I share those exact sentiments.

Edited by Hoosier4Life53