Bob Knight passed away today.

RIP Coach. Thank you a million times over for the vast array of memories and emotions.

I take comfort knowing where you are right now your team is hustling, playing tough D, and running some sweet motion offense against some team that doesn't matter.

And my Dad is in the stands watching. That's how I see it.

Thanks Coach.

• Like 6

I grew up on IU basketball and RMK. Remember watching the 1987 national championship game with my dad. The late 80's and early 90's IU teams fed my fanaticism for Indiana basketball. I went to IU-Bloomington for one reason and one reason only; to witness in person IU basketball and Coach Knight. The degree was a side benefit. 

I had student tickets all 5 years at college, attended countless games. I worked in the basement of Assembly Hall for a brief time, which was like a dream. And yes, I even ran into the man, the myth, the legend himself, Robert Montgomery Knight entering Assembly Hall one day in his fishing gear and I got to say Hi to Coach and he was super nice to me, and I'll always cherish that interaction.

Of course, being around Assembly Hall so often, I also got to hear him delivering his wrath on someone from his office (thank goodness it wasn't me!). 

The year I graduated was the next-to-last season of Coach Knight's tenure at IU. Little did I know, he would be fired in a year.

IU may have never won any championships during my time there but I still loved going to every game and experiencing IU basketball up, close and personal.

Like some of you, my own father passed around almost exactly this time 4 years ago. @BGleas Like you said, I could imagine myself giving dad a call and discussing the news. All we would talk about is sports all the time. After every IU game when I was in school, I would call him and discuss the game. And I got him tickets to a IU vs Michigan game so he could see his Hoosiers at Assembly Hall for the first and only time of his life. Which was a memorable game, the one where Michael Lewis yelled back at Coach Knight and IU beat Michigan led by the Tractor Traylor. 

I'll always be thankful for my dad for introducing me to IU basketball and thankful to Coach Knight for making it a great ride.

RIP Coach.

• Like 8

Something I've always found interesting is Knight's favorite sport was baseball and probably the one he was best at. He also played tight end in football.

I'd venture to guess that it wouldn't have mattered what sport he coached he would be in the discussion for the best of all time. He was a master tactician and motivator. 

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Something I've always found interesting is Knight's favorite sport was baseball and probably the one he was best at. He also played tight end in football.

I'd venture to guess that it wouldn't have mattered what sport he coached he would be in the discussion for the best of all time. He was a master tactician and motivator. 

Agree. In an earlier era, he would have been a Tony Hinkle, who was the head coach of football, basketball and baseball at Butler and had a winning record in each. 

183–104–16 (football) 

560–392 (basketball)

335–309–3 (baseball)

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Agree. In an earlier era, he would have been a Tony Hinkle, who was the head coach of football, basketball and baseball at Butler and had a winning record in each. 

183–104–16 (football) 

560–392 (basketball)

335–309–3 (baseball)

That's impressive.

1 hour ago, mrflynn03 said:

Was lucky enough (because of my wife) to attend an event here in town for Indy Bar Association. I see him in his cashmere sweater and I'm thinking to myself what in the world could I ask this guy who I and my family have idolized for 40 years.

We talked baseball for maybe 2-3 minutes. LaRussa connection, Pujols free agency was the time....but I stood there going OMG this guy who I've loved forever because of IU and Hoops....we talked baseball. 

Will love Coach Knight forever. My Mount Rushmore is Coach Knight, Sweetness and a couple other guys but man hearing these stories today just hurts. What a legend. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Ive shared this before, and you wouldnt believe if you didn't see it. My Dad and my uncle David went in on a radio contest to win the 1992 FF4 game ball. My dad picked (IU) duh, Dave picked Duke.  

For, context, Dave introduced my dad to IU and  RMK in 1973. We just wanted the ball.

Long story short, Uncle Dave won the game ball on the tie breaker because he picked 81-78 duke(douche f#$k tv ted)

So my dad got the ball and we went assembly hall and got it autographed.  Sorry for the winded story. 

The backside has all the other autographs.

1531014320277.thumb.jpg.14f746c0a0126d0cb577c74c15c299b1.jpg

Edited by mrflynn03
I can't stand typos
  • Like 5

16 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Was lucky enough (because of my wife) to attend an event here in town for Indy Bar Association. I see him in his cashmere sweater and I'm thinking to myself what in the world could I ask this guy who I and my family have idolized for 40 years.

We talked baseball for maybe 2-3 minutes. LaRussa connection, Pujols free agency was the time....but I stood there going OMG this guy who I've loved forever because of IU and Hoops....we talked baseball. 

Will love Coach Knight forever. My Mount Rushmore is Coach Knight, Sweetness and a couple other guys but man hearing these stories today just hurts. What a legend. 

Actually interested in the couple other guys. Walter Paytons work ethic cannot be surpassed.  That man never quit. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, BGleas said:

As much as I can't stand him, this was good. 

I did not feel there was anything complicated about Bob Knight, and I mean that in a respectful way. I would have loved to have played/coached under him, no doubt. He didn't front who he was and there was no mistake on what the expectations were at Indiana. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 9