Bob Knight passed away today.

2 hours ago, OGIUAndy said:

No disrespect to him etc, but I would say choking/neck grabbing Neil Reed tainted his legacy. Then blaming everyone but himself after the fact. Lots of finger pointing and grudges, not a lot of self reflection. I know people love to bash IU's administration and rightfully so (for some things), but there wasn't much else they could do in that situation. It was RMK's Woody Hayes moment and it tarnished a lot of what he had accomplished and sucked for bad for IU fans. It was sad. I'm glad he came back but it's was a shame it didn't happen much, much, sooner. #RIPGeneral. 

I agree here.  I love Coach and grew up in the '80s where he was at the height of his craft, but the Neil Reed incident has been difficult to shake and compartmentalize.  I revered him like everyone else did.  Just to be clear, I am not referencing the choke, but more the aggregate effect he had on him behind the scenes.  I am sure he caught hell after Coach was fired by all of the fans that didn't help as well.    

I don't see how anyone who is a support of RMK could watch the documentary on Neil Reed and not walk away with some sort of internal conflict.  I just would have liked to think Coach could have adjusted his approach a little bit with the realization that Neil was a bit more sensitive to his 'style' of coaching, similar to Larry Bird, who had mentioned regretting now adjusting for. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, OGIUAndy said:

No disrespect to him etc, but I would say choking/neck grabbing Neil Reed tainted his legacy. Then blaming everyone but himself after the fact. Lots of finger pointing and grudges, not a lot of self reflection. I know people love to bash IU's administration and rightfully so (for some things), but there wasn't much else they could do in that situation. It was RMK's Woody Hayes moment and it tarnished a lot of what he had accomplished and sucked for bad for IU fans. It was sad. I'm glad he came back but it's was a shame it didn't happen much, much, sooner. #RIPGeneral. 

Well most people believe that.  Not digging on you, but CNN got a hold of that video and slowed it down. 

It wasn't a choke. Did he grab him in that area, yes. But it was more of a shoulder, trap grab. My high school coach would grap me like that to tell, yell something at me or reposition me. Not a big eal.

Bobby Knight never choked Reed and I will stand by that and argue it. 

Because I know what it's like to be choked. 

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mrflynn03 said:

Well most people believe that.  Not digging on you, but CNN got a hold of that video and slowed it down. 

It wasn't a choke. Did he grab him in that area, yes. But it was more of a shoulder, trap grab. My high school coach would grap me like that to tell, yell something at me or reposition me. Not a big eal.

Yeah, I always thought it was a grab that got exaggerated. Not justifying grabbing somebody there, but given who we’re talking about, every media member was going to run with that narrative. I’m not sure I ever knew the answer to this question, but who initially reported the incident? Was it Reed? Or somebody else? 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Doesn't really matter if it was a choke or grabbing to be honest. He shouldn't be grabbing players by the neck. I consider myself pretty tough when it comes "corporal" punishment and if a coach grabbed me by the neck, I wouldn't be too thrilled to say the least. Would I "tell on" the coach? Probably not, but I sure as hell would say, you do that again...
Reed may have been sensitive, but things/society changes (for good and bad) and Knight did not. Part of being a leader is also understanding the people you are leading. Knight's reluctance to every apologize for anything to anyone was one of if not his biggest flaw. Reed basically died as a result of this if you ask me. Knight could have easily said "I was wrong. Leave that kid alone". 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, OGIUAndy said:

Doesn't really matter if it was a choke or grabbing to be honest. He shouldn't be grabbing players by the neck. I consider myself pretty tough when it comes "corporal" punishment and if a coach grabbed me by the neck, I wouldn't be too thrilled to say the least. Would I "tell on" the coach? Probably not, but I sure as hell would say, you do that again...
Reed may have been sensitive, but things/society changes (for good and bad) and Knight did not. Part of being a leader is also understanding the people you are leading. Knight's reluctance to every apologize for anything to anyone was one of if not his biggest flaw. Reed basically died as a result of this if you ask me. Knight could have easily said "I was wrong. Leave that kid alone". 

Yeah, not debating right or wrong. That’s pretty evident. And I agree, RMK should have apologized. Do you know how the incident got out? Not saying it should or shouldn’t have, just curious. 

1 hour ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Yeah, not debating right or wrong. That’s pretty evident. And I agree, RMK should have apologized. Do you know how the incident got out? Not saying it should or shouldn’t have, just curious. 

From what I recall, CNN/SI was investigating why multiple big recruits/players (Reed, Recker etc) were leaving the program (back then it was not common, ha! even though guys left IU quite a bit). I think they then spoke to Reed who brought up the choking incident? So then they started snooping around looking for proof because multiple coaches and players etc. denied the incident ever happened, but I think CNN/SI were aware that IU video tapped all of their practices. Then an unnamed source mailed them the tape. People thought it was Ron Felling, he says he did not, but knows what happened wasn't right. So I don't think anyone knows who actually sank Knight with the tape. Without that, the story is a blurb similarly to the rumor that Knight punched Alford. 

Edited by OGIUAndy
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

From what I recall, CNN/SI was investigating why multiple big recruits/players (Reed, Recker etc) were leaving the program (back then it was not common, ha! even though guys left IU quite a bit). I think they then spoke to Reed who brought up the choking incident? So then they started snooping around looking for proof because multiple coaches and players etc. denied the incident ever happened, but I think CNN/SI were aware that IU video tapped all of their practices. Then an unnamed source mailed them the tape. People thought it was Ron Felling, he says he did not, but knows what happen wasn't right. So I don't think anyone knows who actually sank Knight with the tape. Without that, the story is a blurb similarly to the rumor that Knight punched Alford. 

starting the rumor right now that it was Jockitch.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

starting the rumor right now that it was Jockitch.

It would be very entertaining if someone brought this up on "X". Just sit back and watch him blather on and on. "Now that Coach Knight has passed, are you willing to admit it was you that sent CNN the Neil Reed tape? My "sources" confirm it was..." 

• Haha 3

15 hours ago, southsidehoosier said:

Speaking of Landon Turner, does anyone have any updated information about him? It seemed like he would be at some games but I haven't heard or seen anything about him in years. I also did not see him when Coach Knight returned to Assembly Hall in 2020. Hopefully he is doing well. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...