Bob Knight passed away today.

Just now, MoyeCowbell said:

If anybody were to champion this gesture, you would have to think CMW would be at the top of the list. 

He has to.

guys I cried at my kitchen table. Been quiet all night. Got back on this forum laying in bed and the tears are running down my face.

I knew this would be a sad day I didn’t know it wouod be this hard. I’m 46 and this is my first major sports icon I’ve lost and it is stinging hard. 😭

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Inequality said:

Herald Times reporting uniform patch in remembrance of coach Knight to be worn. Rename the court in his memory. 

Interesting.  I think it's great if they rename the court after Coach Knight, but I didn't expect that since it was already named for coach McCracken.

Knight is, IMO more deserving just a tad surprised they are renaming it, even though I'd absolutely do it if I were in charge.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BADGERVOL said:

He has to.

guys I cried at my kitchen table. Been quiet all night. Got back on this forum laying in bed and the tears are running down my face.

I knew this would be a sad day I didn’t know it wouod be this hard. I’m 46 and this is my first major sports icon I’ve lost and it is stinging hard. 😭

This has to happen and needs to happen. The floor should be flooded with former IU players coached by Coach Knight at the unveiling and ceremony!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Interesting.  I think it's great if they rename the court after Coach Knight, but I didn't expect that since it was already named for coach McCracken.

Knight is, IMO more deserving just a tad surprised they are renaming it, even though I'd absolutely do it if I were in charge.

No no no. Let me clarify. They (the HT) are reporting about the patches to be worn. I was suggesting that wasn’t quite enough and suggested they should move to rename the court.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

When I think about his beginnings at IU, the things that stand out initially were the gut wrenching losses... The Final 4 loss to UCLA in 73... The conference tie breaker we lost to Michigan in 74... and the worst of all, the loss in 75 to Kentucky in the Mideast regional final...

But we always knew... knew... he'd get us there...

My Dad was a huge Indiana basketball and Bob Knight fan... He passed in the summer of 88 at age 60 from ALS, a little over a year after RMK's last title team...

I'm glad he was able to see that... 

Man I suffered through all of those. I wish we could just look at people through the lens of the time in which they lived instead of judging them by today's standards. CBK was the perfect coach for IU during his best years. He was an innovator and changed how basketball was played. What most people don't understand is what a great humanitarian he was to so many people. I am grateful to have lived during his entire tenure at my favorite university coaching the greatest game ever invested.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, Inequality said:

No no no. Let me clarify. They (the HT) are reporting about the patches to be worn. I was suggesting that wasn’t quite enough and suggested they should move to rename the court.

I see.  I'm with you.  No offense to coach McCracken, but Knight was frankly more successful.  I just don't know that they'd rename something already named after a hall of fame coach.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, cthomas said:

Man I suffered through all of those. I wish we could just look at people through the lens of the time in which they lived instead of judging them by today's standards. CBK was the perfect coach for IU during his best years. He was an innovator and changed how basketball was played. What most people don't understand is what a great humanitarian he was to so many people. I am grateful to have lived during his entire tenure at my favorite university coaching the greatest game ever invested.

It's unreal how few points separates him from 3 to possibly  7 or 8 Championships.

Fork Wooden. Bobby Knight was better than that assclown 

• Like 4

When I heard the news yesterday, it didn't hit me as hard as I would have thought because I knew he had been in such a bad state of living.  It was his time.  That said, I have coached basketball for over 30 years and will always look at him as my greatest influence.  No, I don't act like he acted and I don't use his language, but he was definitely a part of why I fell in love with the game at a very young age.  So many people don't realize how much good he did for his players, friends, and IU other than bball.  He definitely taught me loyalty, dedication, discipline, competing, preparation, following the rules, and supporting "your people" and having their back.  My mom passed away when I was 14 years old, but I'll always cherish memories of her leaving the room in close games because she couldn't take it.  So so glad he came back and made amends with IU.  Ah, the good ol days.  RIP Coach Knight.  Sure wish they could bury you upside down!

• Like 4