Bob Knight passed away today.

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

While I am all for honoring Coach Knight, I'm not sure we should take Coach McCracken's name off of it... Knight/McCracken Court might work...

And definitely a statue... I like @Artesian_86's second pic... The flat palmed clap with the intensity on his face... That's the Coach I knew... 

I agree with all of this, but still think something more than a statue would be in order. UCLA’s Pauley Pavillion has the Nell & John Wooden Court and North Carolina has the Dean Dome. Coach was an icon that transcended the sport, and was considered by many as the greatest basketball coach ever, and should be honored accordingly. Oh well, that will be determined down the road.

In the meantime, RIP Coach Knight. 🏀

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

This one hits me very hard. Lots of tears, our whole family wearing our IU gear proudly in honor of our COACH. On top of that I have had a card sitting on my desk for 2 weeks that I was going to mail out to Coach and tell him what he meant to me and unfortunately I did not get around. to mailing it. I have a million great stories that I could share but the most important was that with out Coach Knight I would have never gone to IU, never gotten into teaching and Coaching. He told me I needed to go into teaching because I had something to offer kids. That stuck with me forever. WIth out that I would have gone into business and not into teaching. I would have never made it to Westport Indiana met my wife and be blessed with 3 amazing kids and 1 2 month old grand baby, Coach I love you miss you and RIP you impacted my life and so many more in ways that you never knew and I wish I had sent the card so that you would know but deep down I think writing was more for me because I knew this day was close at hand. Thank you COACH RIP

Good to see you here.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

This one hits me very hard. Lots of tears, our whole family wearing our IU gear proudly in honor of our COACH. On top of that I have had a card sitting on my desk for 2 weeks that I was going to mail out to Coach and tell him what he meant to me and unfortunately I did not get around. to mailing it. I have a million great stories that I could share but the most important was that with out Coach Knight I would have never gone to IU, never gotten into teaching and Coaching. He told me I needed to go into teaching because I had something to offer kids. That stuck with me forever. WIth out that I would have gone into business and not into teaching. I would have never made it to Westport Indiana met my wife and be blessed with 3 amazing kids and 1 2 month old grand baby, Coach I love you miss you and RIP you impacted my life and so many more in ways that you never knew and I wish I had sent the card so that you would know but deep down I think writing was more for me because I knew this day was close at hand. Thank you COACH RIP

Good to see you.  Sad day for sure.  Glad he is no longer suffering.  

1 hour ago, Muddy River said:

Reading through this thread, it seems many of us have similar experiences.  My guess is that many of us are similar in age, and our fathers were from the same generation as coach.  They came from a time when men were hard, and love was tough, and I mean both of those things with the highest respect.  They came from a time when doing what needed to be done took precedence over doing what felt good, when trophies were reserved for winners, not participants.  Like my own father, Coach taught that simply wanting something was not enough, that you had to earn it, because there was no value in something given, but there was immense value and pride in something earned.  I’ll shed some tears today, some for my dad, and some for coach, but most of the tears I shed today will be for the people who never had a man like them in their lives.

Great post.  Pretty much echos my thoughts.

Watching ESPN last night, looking at the bottom line, I saw it.  I immediately grabbed my phone and was going to text my father.  He had already texted me the news of Coach's passing, which I hadn't seen.  The text after that was a picture of my father and Coach after a game (my dad did security for overtime pay for the games).  I didn't think I'd be that upset about it (I thought it would be coming at some point soon), but that picture with Coach and my dad hit hard.  Sitting in front of our oversized TV, watching channel 4, listening to Don on the radio coming back from practices, all with my dad.  It's like a chapter closing for the both of us, and me subconsciously thinking about the inevitable passing of my father, as he is getting older. 

My last day as a educator is tomorrow.  And, as an educator (I know there are a few on here), I always tried to instill the same values that I learned from both my dad and Coach Knight.  Hard word, perseverance, dedication, etc.  Coach made an impact on countless lives and his legacy will live on forever amongst the greats, and I just hope I've had the same type of impact on the kids that I have taught through the years.  We have lost another great man.  One with morals, standards, and an insatiable thirst for perfection.  Not too many of those still around.  Ride high, Coach.  

Edited by kycarter88
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

I agree with all of this, but still think something more than a statue would be in order. UCLA’s Pauley Pavillion has the Nell & John Wooden Court and North Carolina has the Dean Dome. Coach was an icon that transcended the sport, and was considered by many as the greatest basketball coach ever, and should be honored accordingly. Oh well, that will be determined down the road.

In the meantime, RIP Coach Knight. 🏀

I'd like to see Cindy Simon Skojdt figure out a way to get RMK's name on Assembly Hall. It would be a great PR move. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

I'd like to see Cindy Simon Skojdt figure out a way to get RMK's name on Assembly Hall. It would be a great PR move. 

I was thinking the same thing... Wondering if she'd be remembered more fondly if she did let it become "Bob Knight Assembly Hall."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

Glad to see you on here, have been wondering where you have been

He was a big part of many of our lives for a very long time.  As important of a figure as a non-relative or close friend can be.   We all knew it was close but it’s a significantly sad day anyway.   Time marches on.  

I am so glad he came back.  I think we all knew he came HOME for the end.  RIP, Coach, you greatly impacted many.  Very sad day as it hits you.   

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 8

42 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

He was a big part of many of our lives for a very long time.  As important of a figure as a non-relative or close friend can be.   We all knew it was close but it’s a significantly sad day anyway.   Time marches on.  

I am so glad he came back.  I think we all knew he came HOME for the end.  RIP, Coach, you greatly impacted many.  Very sad day as it hits you.   

Your last paragraph really hit home for me.  Maybe it’s just me, but his dying is a little easier to bear knowing that he came back, hung out at assembly hall, reconnected with IU, etc.  like a silver lining so to speak.  At least that happened before he passed. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1