Bob Knight passed away today.

47 minutes ago, Coach1K said:

If he walked from Monroe County Airport to campus back then holy cow. 

Steve's dad Sam is from my hometown of Washington.  I went to First Baptist Church with Steve's grandmother. I know a lot of hoosier people don't like him because of things y'all know. But I've met him on multiple occasions.  He's a very nice and cordial guy. 

I have his autograph on a handout they gave out when he came to a Christian conference at the Hatchet House in Washington when he was coach at Iowa. 

There's a town in Daviess County called Alfordville. Their family is Hoosier for generations 

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

If he walked from Monroe County Airport to campus back then holy cow. 

Steve's dad Sam is from my hometown of Washington.  I went to First Baptist Church with Steve's grandmother. I know a lot of hoosier people don't like him because of things y'all know. But I've met him on multiple occasions.  He's a very nice and cordial guy. 

I have his autograph on a handout they gave out when he came to a Christian conference at the Hatchet House in Washington when he was coach at Iowa. 

There's a town in Daviess County called Alfordville. Their family is Hoosier for generations 

My opinion only.

Steve got caught up in the power struggle of college basketball and let the light get between him, and doing right. The speed of high level college sports light, travels pretty damn fast. He wasn’t asshole enough to block the light and became the shadow. 
I bet he’d do it different now.

• Like 1

I thought this was interesting... A sportswriter (Skip Bayless) condemning Coach for some of his actions, but then Michael Ervin and Keyshon Johnson have their say in getting coached by men like RMK... At the end, Bayless sings a different tune...

BTW, I never knew that if Sam Wyche had stayed at Indiana, The Playmaker would have been a Hoosier... 

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I thought this was interesting... A sportswriter (Skip Bayless) condemning Coach for some of his actions, but then Michael Ervin and Keyshon Johnson have their say in getting coached by men like RMK... At the end, Bayless sings a different tune...

BTW, I never knew that if Sam Wyche had stayed at Indiana, The Playmaker would have been a Hoosier... 

I also heard Lorenzo White was coming to IU as well

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Bayless comes off as a crybaby who didn't like being part of the press being ridiculed by Knight 

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Dug out a couple items that I had put away since i retired from Coaching. I had met Coach K in 96 at a Coaches clinic in Vegas and later that summer I tried to get Coach to sign the pic as well and he said no way after the MFing Co@# sucker did!! It true Coach fashion. 

20231104_182040.jpg

20231104_182051.jpg

The "breakup" between Coach and Krzyzewski is pretty simple to me...Coach always revered and deferred to coaches like Hank Iba and Clair Bee, even after he'd surpassed their accomplishments...He held them in high regard, even though they'd never went to the lengths that he had for Krzyzewski 

• Like 1

On 11/3/2023 at 12:53 PM, Billingsley99 said:

I am trying to find the Bob Costas interview with Coach from Holiday Inn in Bloomington between 2nd and 3rd street. We had seats very close to the front. 

2 quick stories. The Tuesday after Coach and Dean Smith were arrested for trespassing while hunting I was in his Coaching of Basketball class. Everyone was on pins and needles and no one wanted to answer a question that he had asked. To be wrong was not good to be wrong that day I thought I might be target practice. To lighten things up Coach says I will ask again and the person with the correct answer get a full paid trip to go hunting with Me and Coach Smith but you have to bring your own GD bail money. We all laughed and every hand went up .

I was waiting on Coach at the Colorado Steakhouse it was him Bob Hammel and Pat. At the same time Bloomington was hosting the 10U USSSA baseball World Series. Coach was having his usual ribs and an Arnold Palmer and the restaurant was packed with little league teams. Some Dads saw Coach and they and the kids starting lining up at his table for autographs. I asked Coach if he wanted me to tell them to leave you alone so you could eat and he said I can have these shitty ribs any day but I can't always talk baseball with a bunch of kids. He said pack the ribs up and he sat there talked to every person that came up signed lots of gloves and hats and spent about an hour plus talking with those kids. Im sure some young men out there now are remembering the day they met Coach in a steakhouse. 

Are you referring to this? 

• Thanks 4

On 11/4/2023 at 7:59 PM, IUFLA said:

I don't want to muddy up the topic but curious why Sam left.  Seems like a missed opportunity.  We did get Mallory though but?

That was a couple years before I was born but I remember a Boomer Esiason poster in my bedroom at my dad's house.  We were Bengals fans then back when the Colts were still new to Indy. 

1 hour ago, mrflynn03 said:

Opened up youtube for an unrelated video and this was top of the list.  I used to switch gears and launch into what Bobby did at the end but as I've gotten older I put a lid on it. Still happens sometimes though. 

One positive of late has been the attention BK has received for all the positive things he did as opposed to focusing on the negatives. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Reacher said:

One positive of late has been the attention BK has received for all the positive things he did as opposed to focusing on the negatives. 

I think his intelligence was underestimated because of the profanity.  But he used profanity tactically. His legacy is tainted because of the chair throw, which I watch every February because I think it's awesome.  In the context of that game he was understandably pissed off. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Reacher said:

Just to clarify, I only posted that video because it was my first suggestion on YouTube.  I'm well aware of the positive contributions Coach was involved in. 

Watching some of those videos just reminds me of how complicated and difficult and how accommodating and funny CBK could be. I watched one with Sage Steele where she ran into him and asked him about her dad who was a football player at Army when Coach Knight was there. He was gentle and kind and accommodating to her and it meant so much to her. The knee jerk reactions from people who only knew him from short TV clips or agenda inspired articles are lazy and sad to see. RIP CBK.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, cthomas said:

Watching some of those videos just reminds me of how complicated and difficult and how accommodating and funny CBK could be. I watched one with Sage Steele where she ran into him and asked him about her dad who was a football player at Army when Coach Knight was there. He was gentle and kind and accommodating to her and it meant so much to her. The knee jerk reactions from people who only knew him from short TV clips or agenda inspired articles are lazy and sad to see. RIP CBK.

I think the best part of that clip was coaches comment about Sage’s name and her understanding of what Coach was really saying!!

• Like 2

On 11/7/2023 at 8:35 PM, mrflynn03 said:

I think his intelligence was underestimated because of the profanity.  But he used profanity tactically. His legacy is tainted because of the chair throw, which I watch every February because I think it's awesome.  In the context of that game he was understandably pissed off. 

No disrespect to him etc, but I would say choking/neck grabbing Neil Reed tainted his legacy. Then blaming everyone but himself after the fact. Lots of finger pointing and grudges, not a lot of self reflection. I know people love to bash IU's administration and rightfully so (for some things), but there wasn't much else they could do in that situation. It was RMK's Woody Hayes moment and it tarnished a lot of what he had accomplished and sucked for bad IU fans. It was sad. I'm glad he came back but it's was a shame it didn't happen much, much, sooner. #RIPGeneral. 

Edited by OGIUAndy
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

I don't want to muddy up the topic but curious why Sam left.

Don’t take this as gospel, but this is what I heard way back in the day….Sam Wyche was quite a hire for IU to pull off, hiring him away from Bill Walsh’s 49ers staff.  I was told back then that Paul Brown told Wyche he was interested in hiring Wyche as his next head coach, but that he should take the Indiana job to get some experience first.  Wish we could have kept him for a while because all I have ever heard was that he was absolutely killing it on the recruiting trail.  But Wyche was never staying here long term.  Sure enough, the very next season the Cincinnati job opened up and Wyche took it.

• Like 1