Bob Knight passed away today.

4 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I only believe half those off court stories. Did he get out of line, sure I believe that, but I don't believe ALL of it. 

I think, no I know he means all the philanthropic things coach did outside of the public eye.  He raised so much money for the University and community.  He did so many things behind the scenes with ZERO fanfare.  He did it because he loved IU, and we loved him.  I think that was why he was SOOOOO hurt about being fired.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, mookied39 said:

2 years between 85 and 88.  The exact years escape me.

I went 93'-96'.  Details escape me too. I just remember having a pizza "party" with Brian Evans, Charlie Miller, and Lindeman.  

And walking everywhere.  And Coach Knight was who he was.  He was consistent, profane, and respect him for that because he wasn’t just being himself.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mookied39 said:

I think, no I know he means all the philanthropic things coach did outside of the public eye.  He raised so much money for the University and community.  He did so many things behind the scenes with ZERO fanfare.  He did it because he loved IU, and we loved him.  I think that was why he was SOOOOO hurt about being fired.  

Didn't he teach history classes and give a buttload of money to the library.  I know he was into military history like I am. 

• Like 1

When I think about his beginnings at IU, the things that stand out initially were the gut wrenching losses... The Final 4 loss to UCLA in 73... The conference tie breaker we lost to Michigan in 74... and the worst of all, the loss in 75 to Kentucky in the Mideast regional final...

But we always knew... knew... he'd get us there...

My Dad was a huge Indiana basketball and Bob Knight fan... He passed in the summer of 88 at age 60 from ALS, a little over a year after RMK's last title team...

I'm glad he was able to see that... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

My Dad passed away last December. When I saw the news about Bob Knight the first thought in my mind was to grab my phone and call my Dad to tell him or see if he had heard. Like you and many of us, so many of my Bob Knight thoughts are tied to my Dad. 

Took me a beat to remember that I couldn't call him.  

Sorry to hear about your dad. 

I lost mine September 1st, 2006. I have a picture of me sitting on his lap while he watches the 1987 championship game. I was 2 years old at the time.  He was 45 when he died. 

• Sad 3

2 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Right now it’s not showing on my guide….. hopefully it doesn’t mess up if you try to record the current shows in those times. 

That's my fear.  I have Direct TV and they still have the original programming.  I recorded everything in those time slots.  Like you said, I hope it does not mess up.  

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I was just reminiscing with my dad about Bob Knight. He recalled that I received a (form) letter from him welcoming me to IU the summer of 86 before my freshman year. That first year at IU, and the National Championship, made me the IU fan I am today. 

Were you in athletics?  Was if for a basketball camp?  

Edited by mrflynn03

Dad took me to Assembly one time to shoot around. Probably around 93', I was shooting 3s, I was close to 6' in 3rd grade for context. Coach and Norm Ellenberger came out of from the locker room and walked by. I said something like hey coach! He said get your ass on the block if you want to play for me. And just kept walking, didn't miss a stride. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3