Florida Gulf Coast Post Game Thread

KDB

1 minute ago, KDB said:

One thing I will say before even mentioning our performance.. I was very happy to see right after the buzzer, Mgbako the first one on the floor with a big smile high-fiving everybody. Bad game and not much run in the second half and he looked the most excited for the win. Good to see.

noticed that as well

says a lot about that young man. He will get better and be a big part of the season

• Like 1

Anyone got a Xanax 😂

In all seriousness, a good first test. Had a feeling it would be a close game based on that Mich St game last night. 

Still need to address last years issues- perimeter scoring and overhelping on D. 

Most notably, I am really glad Woody put in Cupps. Shows me that he cares more about wins than keeping the high-ranked underclassman happy. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Hoosierdave said:

Anyone got a Xanax 😂

In all seriousness, a good first test. Had a feeling it would be a close game based on that Mich St game last night. 

Still need to address last years issues- perimeter scoring and overhelping on D. 

Most notably, I am really glad Woody put in Cupps. Shows me that he cares more about wins than keeping the high-ranked underclassman happy. 

Cupps is going to be vital for the success of this team.  JMHO.  😊

• Like 2

We’ll that was ugly, but a win is a win. Knew it’d take some time to jell, so hopefully we improve with each game. A couple of thoughts:

1. I thought Ware was our most consistent player from start to finish. Solid game from him.

2. For as promising as Walker looked in the exhibitions, he was completely lost on both ends of the floor. Hopefully it was just a bad game, if not he won’t get many minutes when Sparks comes back.

3. Malik needs to rebound better and defend better. He was able to score, but overall I thought it was a bad game from him.

4. Interesting that our 2nd half run came with a lineup of XJ, Cupps, Galloway, Malik, and Ware. Still think Mgbako will be good for us, but that was obviously the right call. I’d be interested to see that same lineup but with Mgbako instead of Malik.

• Like 1

CMW has to be wondering who can I trust?

Take the win. Keep improving. Acknowledge the issues.

I'll keep coming back to what I've seen for three games now. Lack of team foot speed means they can't keep the ball in front and leading to a lot of open threes: not a great rebounding effort as a team; and too much uncertainty on offense.

Willing to let it play out and have roles develop. Expecting some ugly results until things start getting cleaned up.

I guess this is what a team who lost 4 starters and two NBA guys look like on their first game. Kind of notice that some of the big ten teams are playing pretty good experience mid major teams. James Madison is expected to he really good in their conference, Princeton went to the sweet 16 last year, FGCU is picked high in their conference, UNC Ashville won 27 games last year.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1. Everytime I hear Hummel speak I think it’s Jay Bilas

2. Ware and Cupps are the real deal 

3. I’m glad I don’t drink anymore because I would turn Anthony Walker sagging way too far off the guy for him to hit an open 3 into a drinking game. I was very unimpressed by him. 

4. we suck at free throws. 

5. I think MM will be the scoring option needed by big ten play but right now you can tell he just doesn’t fully understand our offense or defense. 

6. I’d rather correct things after a win than a loss so let’s take it and get better.

• Like 9

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I guess this is what a team who lost 4 starters and two NBA guys look like on their first game. Kind of notice that some of the big ten teams are playing pretty good experience mid major teams. James Madison is expected to he really good in their conference, Princeton went to the sweet 16 last year, FGCU is picked high in their conference, UNC Ashville won 27 games last year.

And Purdue played Samford.  :coffee: 

• Haha 3

Positives:

• I really love what Cupps brings to the team. Hard, tough-nosed kid (we all know this) who simply plays 'up'. He's already got the confidence, but once he adds experience, he's going to be a problem for other teams.
  • Ware. He impressed me. I think he's only scratching the surface of what he can do, and he has the potential to do A LOT. He's just so skilled... once he starts stacking good days, they'll become great days and he's going to be a force.
  • Reneau's footwork on offense. He's so crafty. Same thing with Trey. Both can maneuver around defenders nicely.

Negatives:

• Rebounding. Outside of Ware, I didn't see a lot of guys attacking the boards early on. That has to change.
  • Free throw shooting. Hell, at this point, is the program just jinxed in this area?
  • 3pt D (and general awareness). KNOW WHO IS KILLING YOU FROM DEEP AND STOP THEM FROM KILLING YOU FROM DEEP. It ain't that hard of a concept to understand.
  • Like 4