Florida Gulf Coast Post Game Thread

KDB

I’d suggest not playing Gunn and Banks together yet.  Stagger the substitutions so they play with stable teammates.  It’s like giving them training wheels.   It might help them if the other guys know what they are doing.  

Gunn came in and immediately launched that wild shot.  IMO, he should let the game come to him more.  He’s got tremendous energy and length.  Nobody is going to say he doesn’t play hard.  There is very good potential there.  Banks too but he’s more of an enigma.  He comes across as a tweener and also laid back.   

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I think Walker will be better than what we saw yesterday.  Gunn, I think it’s between the ears.  Kid has tools.  But this is a pivotal year for Gunn, and Banks too, to prove they can play at this level.    As much as they hurt us last night, you can see what Woody wants to do.  Get them developed.  He has put a ton of faith into them.   It’d be easier to play Leal, even with his limitations, because he is safer.   But he wants Gunn and Banks to be significant contributors down the stretch and he wants to get them there.  We saw the baseline yesterday and it was a hot mess.  Now, we will see how they improve from here.   It’s on them to prove it.  They won’t be able to complain they weren’t given every opportunity.  But, make no mistake, you can lose games with a second unit that doesn’t carry its share of the load.  

For some reason this made me think of football and the QB position. Leal would be the unsexy "game-manager" who loves to check it down to the flats. Gunn (more so than Banks) has the tools to rifle passes down field and into tight pockets, but doesn't yet have the accuracy or situational awareness. But you want players who think they can do that and develop them -- give them experience -- to the point they know they can do it.

• Like 2

This is the type of game I expected early on from a decent test. This is a team with a lot of new players, so it’s going to take some time to gel. We saw what it can be in that really good stretch in the 2nd half, but it will take time for that sort of consistency. 

While there are several things that need to get fixed, I’m not concerned with this team. Now if it’s happening in January and February, then I will definitely be concerned. Good gritty win that made this team dig deep and fight. Could have been much worse, where we lost like other teams that were upset. 

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I don't know... I thought we got at least really good effort out of Kel'el yesterday. Even the boards he didn't get he got a hand on and tipped a few to our players...

I think for now, Woody simply wants to see the effort... Down the road of he keeps showing it, he'll exploit Ware's massive offensive potential...

The one thing I would like to see is Kel'el be a little less emphatic on his shot blocking... Bill Russell was an absolute master at blocking it but keeping the ball in play and giving his teammates a chance to get the loose ball... Trayce was decent at that too...

I agree with you. I think the effort was there. Just needs to assert himself a bit more.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I’d suggest not playing Gunn and Banks together yet.  Stagger the substitutions so they play with stable teammates.  It’s like giving them training wheels.   It might help them if the other guys know what they are doing.  

Gunn came in and immediately launched that wild shot.  IMO, he should let the game come to him more.  He’s got tremendous energy and length.  Nobody is going to say he doesn’t play hard.  There is very good potential there.  Banks too but he’s more of an enigma.  He comes across as a tweener and also laid back.   

Agree 100%. While the 2nd unit can definitely play, it really does need to be staggered. Only 2 subs at a time would be ideal with how this team is. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I don't know... I thought we got at least really good effort out of Kel'el yesterday. Even the boards he didn't get he got a hand on and tipped a few to our players..

I wasn't watching too closely last night because I watched it recorded and was trying to consume it before bedtime. KW looked great, but does he bring down the ball too low at times or is that my imagination? Like, Dude, you are 7 feet tall, keep that ball above your head. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

I agree with you. I think the effort was there. Just needs to assert himself a bit more.

I think Kel'el, by his own admission, is a laid back kid who doesn't hurry himself... I also think some of his critics from last year thought that bled over into him game...

Hummell said during the broadcast that Woody had been getting into Kel'el pretty good in practice, hoping that Ware would come back at him... Which he supposedly did... Our coach has the psychology of the game down 😉

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

I really want to see a Cupps, XJ, Galloway, Mgbako, Ware lineup at times. 

Crazy defensive pressure up top, Ware defending the rim, and you can sort of 'hide' Mgbako defensively until he figures that out. You would need to team rebound though. 

Offensively, geez you have 3 guards and a shooter, and you just have Ware setting high ball screens and popping or diving to the rim. 

The spacing that would create would be crazy. You'd get our guards in the lane and creating a ton of offense for us, we could play fast and get MM transition 3's etc.  XJ has also seemed best the last few years in the high ball screen action. 

Not saying that necessarily should he the starting lineup, but I'd give it some serious time in games to see how it works. 

That lineup would be nasty! Have yet to see it though

Edited by 5 championships

5 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

https://x.com/dandakich/status/1722238232061219158?s=42&t=5hNcvpLUAnbMpXSHKuY6HA

You guys see this garbage? I’ve normally held back on Dakich bc I think a lot of what he says is accurate, just put poorly. But this one does it for me. 

Dakich was a "mid-major talent." He's lucky RMK was such a great coach that he was able to squeeze the Jordan myth out of him... 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

One of X and Gallo should always be on the floor.  The goal for Cupps should be 20 minutes a night.  No matter how much of a gym rat he is, he is a freshman, playing the most demanding position on the floor, in the most physical conference in the country.  

X - 30 minutes

Gallo - 30 minutes

Cupps - 20 minutes

Gunn - 10 minutes

That's 90 minutes in a lineup where playing 2 guards equals 80 minutes.  That allows for 10 minutes a game where 3 can be on the floor together. 

And, it leaves 110 minutes available to distribute among the 6 bigs.  

A lineup that is predominantly 3-guard would work best with a 6 guard, 4 big, ten-deep roster, not a 4 guard, 6 big one.  

That seems to be right to me too. Can’t over work Galloway and Johnson

Walker had a rough game last night. But we need this kid. He has something none of the other big guys have. He hit the quickness and athleticism to guard some of the bigger 4 guys in the big ten

Cupps played great last night. He will have his ups and downs but kid will be a player.  Not the most talented but he will compete with anybody. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

https://x.com/dandakich/status/1722238232061219158?s=42&t=5hNcvpLUAnbMpXSHKuY6HA

You guys see this garbage? I’ve normally held back on Dakich bc I think a lot of what he says is accurate, just put poorly. But this one does it for me. 

My response is:

- FGCU is not a 'bad' mid-major.

- If we are going to label Cupps a mid-major talent who played well based on our opponent, what does that say about the 6 or 7 guys who played, but not as well.  Are they mid-major talents as well.... or worse?

- In regards to the 'white' comment.  As with any fan base for any sport at any level anywhere in the world, there will be certain fans that will pick a favorite based on some sort of prejudice. 

And, it's not just race.  Some fans will lean towards a local kid, a great shooter, who their dad was, the guy that gets under the opponent's skin, home run hitters in baseball, pretty boy QBs in football, etc.  

Those types of prejudices happen with every fan base.  Dakich is a tool for trying to make something out of it.  This fan base has given a lot of love over the years to guards like Yogi Ferrell, AJ Guyton, I. Thomas, Q. Buckner, K. Smart, etc.  

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I won't even waste my time clicking on it. He continues to slowly distance himself further and further from all IU fans. He's definitely not worth the read.....

24 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

The guy has been absolutely trashing IU, Woodson, the recruits (he was trashing both McNeely and Fland) and the team in general for weeks. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

26 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I think Kel'el, by his own admission, is a laid back kid who doesn't hurry himself... I also think some of his critics from last year thought that bled over into him game...

Hummell said during the broadcast that Woody had been getting into Kel'el pretty good in practice, hoping that Ware would come back at him... Which he supposedly did... Our coach has the psychology of the game down 😉

....Thanks Coach Knight.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Kinda like Knight would do to his players?

CMW had a good teacher....

• Like 1

One thing the family talked about this morning and I think it was @BGleas or somebody else on here who brought this up. When we missed on Fland I think he said what if Cupps in year 2 (under Woodson)  is just as good as Fland is in year 1.

Time will tell and I hope we pump the brakes a tad on him but Gabe showed us some stuff last night that you can tell why Woodson speaks so highly of him. 

In terms of Dakich. He blocked me a decade ago so I can't read it but until we stop sharing and clicking he'll keep doing his thing.

• Like 1