Florida Gulf Coast Post Game Thread

KDB

5 hours ago, kyhoosier29 said:

https://x.com/dandakich/status/1722238232061219158?s=42&t=5hNcvpLUAnbMpXSHKuY6HA

You guys see this garbage? I’ve normally held back on Dakich bc I think a lot of what he says is accurate, just put poorly. But this one does it for me. 

Well Rapheal  Davis was heaping praise on Cupps in the postgame, so it must be a race thing. :coffee:

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, OGIUAndy said:

I think you're right. I used to like him. 

I did too...I thought he was on track to be a #1 analyst when he started at ESPN...He was insightful, funny, and didn't try to fill every speck of dead air time with empty words...

But then I think he started believing his own press clippings, as they say and tripped over his own ego...You cannot do or say anything you want, and his employer showed him that...

"All of us are useful, but none of us are necessary"...Marty Schottenheimer...

Edited by IUFLA

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I did too...I thought he was on track to be a #1 analyst when he started at ESPN...He was insightful, funny, and didn't try to fill every speck of dead air time with empty words...

But then I think he started believing his own press clippings, as they say and tripped over his own ego...You cannot do or say anything you want, and his employer showed him that...

"All of us are useful, but none of us are necessary"...Marty Schottenheimer...

There's a lot of people who think they are unique because they have some sort of political or ideological opinion when in reality, they're a dime a dozen in the trollverse. What made DD unique and provided him a career is that he played and coached basketball under CBK at Indiana. Most people don't really care about his non basketball societal "hot takes". He might, and that's great for him I guess, but in today's world I think most people are looking for an escape from the political and ideological hellgate that 24 hour "media" has become. But a lot of these blowhards are bored or isolated more than ever (ironically) so they search for and find comfort from those that seemingly think and talk as they do. IMHO it's just a way to stay miserable and find the worst in everything. You'll notice very little of what he says is positive. Much like a lot of pseudo celebrities, they become their media persona full time and it's both phony and exhausting. 

• Like 4

Just got the chance to sit down and finish watching the game. The only thing I have to add is that it really looked like our defensive lapses didn't come from over helping like they did in the exhibitions, it's just that our bigs, outside of Ware, didn't know how/when to switch. We were almost in a match-up zone, but guys just didn't know what they were doing. Walker was probably the worst, but Reneau had his moments, as did MM.

I thought they all, Reneau in particular, played D quite well when they were where they were supposed to be. Reneau had one dumb foul when he tried to pressure his guy on the perimeter and got whistled on a bad call when he did a great job forcing his guy into a backcourt violation. 

I don't see MM getting his points around the rim. He just doesn't have the athleticism to finish those drives when the D is there. He's a jump shooter. 

6 hours ago, BGleas said:

I'm surprised how much he has bashed Woodson. Dakich always wanted an IU guy, and while I don't think Woodson was who he wanted, I'm still surprised that Dakich goes after him so hard. 

Wrong IU guy…he meant himself. This all goes back to him and how he perceived he was wronged. he is like the bad parts of Bob Knight with none of the accolades.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 2

Death, taxes and Indiana fans bitching in post-game threads.

I literally read the first three pages and then quit...just too ridiculous/painful to read some of the overreactions.

• Pat Chambers teams will always make it a rock fight.
  • Galloway looked great.
  • Absolutely love, love, love Gabe Cupps.  If everyone defends like he does, opponents make a lot less three pointers.  Only real negative I saw for him is throwing it away under pressure at the end of the game.

Not the best IU effort, but always great to get a tough win early while producing a lot of teachable film.  This team will get better as they get more familiar with each other.

For all you glass-half-empty posters, would you rather be a Michigan State fan right now?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I literally read the first three pages and then quit...just too ridiculous/painful to read some of the overreactions.

• Galloway looked great.
  • Absolutely love, love, love Gabe Cupps.  If everyone defends like he does, opponents make a lot less three pointers.  Only real negative I saw for him is throwing it away under pressure at the end of the game.

Not the best IU effort, but always great to get a tough win early while producing a lot of teachable film.  This team will get better as they get more familiar with each other.

For all you glass-half-empty posters, would you rather be a Michigan State fan right now?

I don't think criticism has to mean ridiculous or overreacting.  I am happy we won.  I like the potential of this team.  I'm excited for the season.  That said, I don't ignore that we didn't look good.  I think we'll get much better as the season goes on.  At least I sure hope so.  If not, we don't look at all like a top 25 team.  

• Like 4

3 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

I don't think criticism has to mean ridiculous or overreacting.  I am happy we won.  I like the potential of this team.  I'm excited for the season.  That said, I don't ignore that we didn't look good.  I think we'll get much better as the season goes on.  At least I sure hope so.  If not, we don't look at all like a top 25 team.  

It's the "sunshine pumpers." Hell, if we would've lost a positive twist would've been spun regardless.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I'm rooting tremendously for them...they would help take the team to new heights but my opinion is that Gunn and Banks have shown very little in the first 1 + years to make me believe they are going to make consistent significant impacts against quality opponents.  

Edited by Hoosier987
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

17 hours ago, Artesian_86 said:

Who knows,.....they may already have. I really don't remember seeing him at IU with all the former players when Knight came back to assembly Hall. Maybe that's why he's so negative all the time.

If I recall. He was invited. He chose not to go. I believe he actually called the game that came after ours. 

10 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

It's the "sunshine pumpers." Hell, if we would've lost a positive twist would've been spun regardless.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I'm rooting tremendously for them...it would take the team to new heights but my opinion is that Gunn and Banks have shown very little in the first 1 + years to make me believe they are going to make consistent significant impacts against quality opponents.  

Consistency is what I'm looking for early on.

Will Ware keep producing double doubles? Will Galloway average 15 / game? Was X 1 assist  game an aberration? Same with Maliks 1 rebound game? Will Cupps be closing out every game? Does our free throw shooting improve? Can Gun and Banks be consistent off the bench?

We have had 1 game against a decent opponent.  Army will likely be more like an exhibition game. After UConn, we should have a decent sample size to get a feel as to what to expect this year.

10 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Consistency is what I'm looking for early on.

Will Ware keep producing double doubles? Will Galloway average 15 / game? Was X 1 assist  game an aberration? Same with Maliks 1 rebound game? Will Cupps be closing out every game? Does our free throw shooting improve? Can Gun and Banks be consistent off the bench?

We have had 1 game against a decent opponent.  Army will likely be more like an exhibition game. After UConn, we should have a decent sample size to get a feel as to what to expect this year.

All very valid points. I think eventually we could see a lineup of X/ Galloway/ Cupps/ Mgbako/ Ware. Agreed in that Army is essentially a 3rd exhibition game.

Edited by Hoosier987
  • Like 1

On 11/8/2023 at 8:42 AM, 5fouls said:

Reneau vs Mgbako at the 4 is not the primary point though.  Because of our lack of guard depth, Woodson needs to be careful with how many minutes X, Gallo, and Cupps play.  

It's fine to ride it like he did last night when it was clicking and critical to the game.  But, those calling for that to be our starting lineup?  I totally disagree with that.  Woodson has to manage those minutes or it will become an issue midway through the Big Ten.  

In addition, Walker, Gunn, and Banks are going to be more successful when they are sprinkled in with 3-4 of the starters, not as part of a hockey-style second unit.  

Didn't get a chance to follow up on this. 

Agree that guard depth is a huge concern. Completely valid point there. I wasn't calling for the 3-guard lineup to necessarily be our starting lineup. 

This team really needs Banks and Gunn to figure it out. If those two can't play, then that really limits what Woodson can do in terms of lineup flexibility. 

I just think these big lineups where we don't shoot enough threes and are slower paced won't get it done long term. 

I think MM is a "college 4" and would have way more scoring opportunities in that role and I think getting him more scoring opportunities is best for the team. I don't like him in basically Kopp's role where he just stands in the corner waiting. 

Completely understand the guard depth issues. I just think our top 6 are some combination of:

XJ, Galloway, Cupps, MM, Reneau and Ware (in no particular order)

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I think MM is a "college 4" and would have way more scoring opportunities in that role and I think getting him more scoring opportunities is best for the team.

Both Malik and Mgbako have shown the ability to score from distance, can’t say I’ve ever seen it done but couldn’t they sort of swing the offense side to side with them alternately playing more of a Miller role??

11 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

• Galloway looked great.

5 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

To be fair, it wasn't just IU fans. Throughout the game, Hummel kept saying that IU showed no offensive identity (they had 7 and 4 minute droughts in the first half with no baskets) and he couldn't understand how IU kept leaving FGCU's best shooters wide open. The same was mentioned in the post-game studio commentary and it was noted that it was a continuation from the exhibition games. Basically they said IU has a lot of work to do. 

5 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

To be fair, it wasn't just IU fans. Throughout the game, Hummel kept saying that IU showed no offensive identity (they had 7 and 4 minute droughts in the first half with no baskets) and he couldn't understand how IU kept leaving FGCU's best shooters wide open. The same was mentioned in the post-game studio commentary and it was noted that it was a continuation from the exhibition games. Basically they said IU has a lot of work to do. 

Yeah, I get that.  I would have honestly been a lot more surprised if they were operating smoothly like an experienced team with all their players back.  I'll be the first to admit there's plenty of room for growth at this stage.  Some of the commentary I read before I quit just felt like unnecessary hand-wringing.  I'm not sure what those folks expected at this point in the season to be so despondent about an opening game performance. 

It's fair to say they aren't a finished product by a long stretch.  I'm just glad they got the W while they are learning to play together.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Yeah, I get that.  I would have honestly been a lot more surprised if they were operating smoothly like an experienced team with all their players back.  I'll be the first to admit there's plenty of room for growth at this stage.  Some of the commentary I read before I quit just felt like unnecessary hand-wringing.  I'm not sure what those folks expected at this point in the season to be so despondent about an opening game performance. 

It's fair to say they aren't a finished product by a long stretch.  I'm just glad they got the W while they are learning to play together.

.....and to add to that, Woodson and Co. has 10 new players to work with. It didn't really sink in until later, that alone is a huge challenge for any coach to start the season. There are so many combinations, various line up possibilities and how certain players perform with other players.... That will take a little getting used to. JMO

6 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

We lose that game 10/10 with Archie. Lots of moving parts. 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

.....and to add to that, Woodson and Co. has 10 new players to work with. It didn't really sink in until later, that alone is a huge challenge for any coach to start the season. There are so many combinations, various line up possibilities and how certain players perform with other players.... That will take a little getting used to. JMO

The announcers kept promoting '10' new players, but 4 of those are walk-ons, and Woody never plays his walk-ons. And another is Newton, who is likely out for the year.

The actual new players number just 5 (Ware, MgTaco, Cupps, Walker, and Sparks).

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Oh yeah...if you think shooters were open Tuesday night, imagine them against the pack line defense...

But just execution it took to go from 48-42 FGCU with 1050 on the clock to 61-50 with 4 mins to go. Massive stretch right there. 

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

The announcers kept promoting '10' new players, but 4 of those are walk-ons, and Woody never plays his walk-ons. And another is Newton, who is likely out for the year.

The actual new players number just 5 (Ware, MgTaco, Cupps, Walker, and Sparks).

But that isn't the whole story.... You also have Malik playing a completely new role with big-time added expectations and importance. Same with Gunn/Banks. 

All of that is normal for any team (players in different roles than the year prior).. but it doesn't mean there isn't a learning curve. 5 of our top 8 are new with one of those coming back from not playing since early last December and Malik playing a much more prominent role. 

Edited by btownqb