Florida Gulf Coast Post Game Thread

KDB

this was a good test in my mind.  I'd rather get tested and challenged within the first two or three games(i know UCONN is game 4 on our schedule) by mid major teams such as FGCU.  IMO FGCU is a tourney team when fully healthy. 

Glad we came away with a win.  Team had to figure out adversity right away after FCGU went on a 8-0 to jump ahead by 6 or 7 points.  Free Throws we need to bump that % up closer to 75/80% and figure out more on both O and D when Gunn, MM and Banks are on the floor together.  Cupps will play plenty of minutes ROY.  Ware showed flashes.  Trey is our leader.  

37 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I think we need to go small the first few games.  The guys that led the comeback and then put the game away would be my starting five to get the next game started.

I know that means putting the stud 5* on the bench to start but most of these teams we are playing are three guard, drive and dish for three type teams and having 3 bigs scrambling all over the place to try and cover that puts us at a disadvantage.

I prefer going small as well. I think once Mgbako figures out the defensive side of things he’s going to be an All Conference type player. He’s also the one player on our team that is a a legitimate threat to shoot and is a bona fide scorer. I would start him as the stretch 4.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NCHoosier32 said:

absolutely can't have walker and banks in at the same time

Understatement of the year. Throw Gunn into that mix as well. It’s certainly not a coincidence those three were on the floor at the same time when our 7 minute FG drought began to occur. I just hope Woodson sees this. He’s had a stubbornness about him regarding these mass substitutions 1/3 of the way through each half that absolutely are a detriment. Cannot have those three on the court together. None of them are going to bring what we need to the table. 

Edited by Hoosier987
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I think we need to go small the first few games.  The guys that led the comeback and then put the game away would be my starting five to get the next game started.

I know that means putting the stud 5* on the bench to start but most of these teams we are playing are three guard, drive and dish for three type teams and having 3 bigs scrambling all over the place to try and cover that puts us at a disadvantage.

In the post game, Woody said going small was more reactive to what FGCU was doing... Chambers even said he didn't want his guys taking that many 3s, but he saw early on that Ware was going to be difficult for his bigs to score over...

I'm with @Seeking6... Take the win, hopefully learn and grow from it... Plenty of season left 🙂

• Like 3

Found it interesting that Chambers didn't like the amount of 3's they took. "Too many".

Also gave us credit for a very good defense. hmmmm......

FCU is a much tougher ball club than some would anticipate coming into the game. They will no doubt be a solid contender for the big dance. This was no cup-cake.

Edited by DWB
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Cupps is like a Yogi-Galloway mix. 

Aka Aaron Craft? I was thinking that last night when he put his hand right in the grill of the ball-handler and they kept swatting it away - but he’d just put it back….just like Craft did. He just doesn’t give a f***. He’s like a gnat that disrupts his opponent. 

Cupps is going to be hard to keep off the floor and we’ll love him. 

Edited by tdhoosier
  • Like 7

I really want to see a Cupps, XJ, Galloway, Mgbako, Ware lineup at times. 

Crazy defensive pressure up top, Ware defending the rim, and you can sort of 'hide' Mgbako defensively until he figures that out. You would need to team rebound though. 

Offensively, geez you have 3 guards and a shooter, and you just have Ware setting high ball screens and popping or diving to the rim. 

The spacing that would create would be crazy. You'd get our guards in the lane and creating a ton of offense for us, we could play fast and get MM transition 3's etc.  XJ has also seemed best the last few years in the high ball screen action. 

Not saying that necessarily should he the starting lineup, but I'd give it some serious time in games to see how it works. 

• Like 9

From a depth standpoint, it's going to be hard to play small for extended minutes every game throughout the whole season.  We have very little guard depth.  Those 3 guys will wear down, especially with the physical play if the Big Ten.

And, nitpick about Reneau's deficiencies all you want, but we need him on the floor 25 minutes a night for his offense.  He is very skilled offensively in the post.  And. IU is an offensively challenged team right now.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

From a depth standpoint, it's going to be hard to play small for extended minutes every game throughout the whole season.  We have very little guard depth.  Those 3 guys will wear down, especially with the physical play if the Big Ten.

And, nitpick about Reneau's deficiencies all you want, but we need him on the floor 25 minutes a night for his offense.  He is very skilled offensively in the post.  And. IU is an offensively challenged team right now.

I'm not saying Reneau shouldn't play. You can also slot him into the 4 spot there as well, like it was last night. That 3-guard lineup with Reneau and Ware was really good too. 

With that said, Reneau gets us out of scoring droughts with his post game like you said, but I also think he puts IU into those droughts with his reluctance to pass out of the post. It stalls the offense and shuts our movement down to a halt. 

You and I have both been calling for more 3's, well focus in on Reneau on the block and watch how many wide open shooters he doesn't recognize from the block. 

Yes, he often scores down there, but again we both think we need more 3's and he's very reluctant to kick it out. I think he missed Mgbako wide open 3-4 times and Cupps a few times as well. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I'm not saying Reneau shouldn't play. You can also slot him into the 4 spot there as well, like it was last night. That 3-guard lineup with Reneau and Ware was really good too. 

With that said, Reneau gets us out of scoring droughts with his post game like you said, but I also think he puts IU into those droughts with his reluctance to pass out of the post. It stalls the offense and shuts our movement down to a halt. 

You and I have both been calling for more 3's, well focus in on Reneau on the block and watch how many wide open shooters he doesn't recognize from the block. 

Yes, he often scores down there, but again we both think we need more 3's and he's very reluctant to kick it out. I think he missed Mgbako wide open 3-4 times and Cupps a few times as well. 

Reneau vs Mgbako at the 4 is not the primary point though.  Because of our lack of guard depth, Woodson needs to be careful with how many minutes X, Gallo, and Cupps play.  

It's fine to ride it like he did last night when it was clicking and critical to the game.  But, those calling for that to be our starting lineup?  I totally disagree with that.  Woodson has to manage those minutes or it will become an issue midway through the Big Ten.  

In addition, Walker, Gunn, and Banks are going to be more successful when they are sprinkled in with 3-4 of the starters, not as part of a hockey-style second unit.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Reneau vs Mgbako at the 4 is not the primary point though.  Because of our lack of guard depth, Woodson needs to be careful with how many minutes X, Gallo, and Cupps play.  

It's fine to ride it like he did last night when it was clicking and critical to the game.  But, those calling for that to be our starting lineup?  I totally disagree with that.  Woodson has to manage those minutes or it will become an issue midway through the Big Ten.  

In addition, Walker, Gunn, and Banks are going to be more successful when they are sprinkled in with 3-4 of the starters, not as part of a hockey-style second unit.  

The next game with Army would be a good one for giving minutes to those three mixed in with starters.  Hopefully, get Sparks some minutes too.

One of X and Gallo should always be on the floor.  The goal for Cupps should be 20 minutes a night.  No matter how much of a gym rat he is, he is a freshman, playing the most demanding position on the floor, in the most physical conference in the country.  

X - 30 minutes

Gallo - 30 minutes

Cupps - 20 minutes

Gunn - 10 minutes

That's 90 minutes in a lineup where playing 2 guards equals 80 minutes.  That allows for 10 minutes a game where 3 can be on the floor together. 

And, it leaves 110 minutes available to distribute among the 6 bigs.  

A lineup that is predominantly 3-guard would work best with a 6 guard, 4 big, ten-deep roster, not a 4 guard, 6 big one.  

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tdhoosier said:

Aka Aaron Craft? I was thinking that last night when he put his hand right in the grill of the ball-handler and they kept swatting it away - but he’d just put it back….just like Craft did. He just doesn’t give a f***. He’s like a gnat that disrupts his opponent. 

Cupps is going to be hard to keep off the floor and we’ll love him. 

Yep. Aaron Craft is really close. 

Looks springier than Craft. 

Couple of thoughts:

Gabe Cupps... instant fan favorite. Love everything about this kid

Semi quiet performances all around. IDK if that is a good thing or not.

MR: 1 rebound is pathetic. However he may be the only guy i feel like... we need a bucket. go get one.

MM: not going to over react. I think FGCU's small ball was the main reason for his playing time. 

I LOVE the XJ, GC, TG, MR, KW lineup.

XJ: solid performance. I think we are going to miss a part of his game with TJD no longer here.

KW: He needs to assert himself. Looks like he is hiding at times.

C.J.: Excited to see him play more, but he has to earn it. He got lost on D a couple of times, and Cupps is going to eat his minutes.

Walker: EOB (End of Bench). BAD on defense and anyone can chuck up 2 terrible shots. 

I would like to see them push the ball more often. Half court offense is not good.

Robbie and the other nerd was making too much of a big deal about a 7 minute FG scoring drought in the first half. Yes, it is hard to score FG's if the other team is fouling you and you go to the line in nearly every possession in said stretch.

Defense has to pick up and become top 20+. The offense is not going to carry us anywhere. 

• Like 2

Just now, ledies22 said:

Couple of thoughts:

Gabe Cupps... instant fan favorite. Love everything about this kid

Semi quiet performances all around. IDK if that is a good thing or not.

MR: 1 rebound is pathetic. However he may be the only guy i feel like... we need a bucket. go get one.

MM: not going to over react. I think FGCU's small ball was the main reason for his playing time. 

I LOVE the XJ, GC, TG, MR, KW lineup.

XJ: solid performance. I think we are going to miss a part of his game with TJD no longer here.

C.J.: Excited to see him play more, but he has to earn it. He got lost on D a couple of times, and Cupps is going to eat his minutes.

Walker: EOB (End of Bench). BAD on defense and anyone can chuck up 2 terrible shots. 

I would like to see them push the ball more often. Half court offense is not good.

Robbie and the other nerd was making too much of a big deal about a 7 minute FG scoring drought in the first half. Yes, it is hard to score FG's if the other team is fouling you and you go to the line in nearly every possession in said stretch.

Defense has to pick up and become top 20+. The offense is not going to carry us anywhere. 

also, i couldnt stop laughing at the delay of game call. What's the rule there? Who has last rights to the free throw line?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Bobby Knight would have loved Gabe Cupps.  He would have been all over him, demanding leadership, because he can take it.  

There is no way he’s not one of our five best in terms of winning play.   There is a hierarchy to it, and I get that, but that kid is very impressive.   If you had him with the ball and X off the ball with Trey off the wing, you have a tough as nails perimeter game.  

It would have been nice if we got a 6’5 sharp shooting 2 guard in the portal.  Would have made a huge difference.  

I think Walker will be better than what we saw yesterday.  Gunn, I think it’s between the ears.  Kid has tools.  But this is a pivotal year for Gunn, and Banks too, to prove they can play at this level.    As much as they hurt us last night, you can see what Woody wants to do.  Get them developed.  He has put a ton of faith into them.   It’d be easier to play Leal, even with his limitations, because he is safer.   But he wants Gunn and Banks to be significant contributors down the stretch and he wants to get them there.  We saw the baseline yesterday and it was a hot mess.  Now, we will see how they improve from here.   It’s on them to prove it.  They won’t be able to complain they weren’t given every opportunity.  But, make no mistake, you can lose games with a second unit that doesn’t carry its share of the load.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

I don't know... I thought we got at least really good effort out of Kel'el yesterday. Even the boards he didn't get he got a hand on and tipped a few to our players...

I think for now, Woody simply wants to see the effort... Down the road of he keeps showing it, he'll exploit Ware's massive offensive potential...

The one thing I would like to see is Kel'el be a little less emphatic on his shot blocking... Bill Russell was an absolute master at blocking it but keeping the ball in play and giving his teammates a chance to get the loose ball... Trayce was decent at that too...

• Like 8