Florida Gulf Coast Post Game Thread

KDB

4 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

1. Everytime I hear Hummel speak I think it’s Jay Bilas

2. Ware and Cupps are the real deal 

3. I’m glad I don’t drink anymore because I would turn Anthony Walker sagging way too far off the guy for him to hit an open 3 into a drinking game. I was very unimpressed by him. 

4. we suck at free throws. 

5. I think MM will be the scoring option needed by big ten play but right now you can tell he just doesn’t fully understand our offense or defense. 

6. I’d rather correct things after a win than a loss so let’s take it and get better.

#1 for sure

• Thanks 1

We won! 

I went into the season expecting to see lots of ups and downs for at least the first half of the year. My hope is that once this team plays together awhile, they gel and become a strong team come February/March. Todays game and the exhibition games were about what I expected. That said, I’m happy for the win against a solid team on opening night!

Cupps and Ware looked really impressive. Go Hoosiers!!!!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Drroogh said:

I don’t know but it seemed to me in the first half our D switched everything even when they didn’t need to? Then after Woody called that time out they stopped switching and went on a 10-0 run!

I noticed that too. I love the switchability, but it seemed like there were a lot of unnecessary switches that just caused guys to get out of position too often. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

I think MM will be better at the 4 against some teams. I want to see a lineup of Cupps, X, Trey, Mgbako, and Ware just to see what it looks like. 

It’s our best lineup in my opinion…Mack can bring the other teams 4 out on the perimeter then look at all the space the guards have to play with. I don’t understand how we didn’t see a single minute of that lineup. 

• Like 1

Some want to win by 30 pts or are not happy!! I will take 30 wins by 1 pt and be pretty happy!! Lots to work on BUT WE WON!! SOME PRETTY IMPRESIVE NEWCOMERS AND SOME NEWCOMERS WHO WILL NOW HAVE some teaching coming from CMW!! IU IS STILL HUNGOVER WITH CRMK PASSING!! TAKE THE THE WIN AND TEACH!! GO IU!! LOV YA!!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

IU made 4 threes vs 13 for FGCU. That’s 27 points  that have to be made up elsewhere. MI has 5 threes, 11 minutes in and IA 8/16 from three at the half. IN can’t continue to compete this way in modern basketball. 

That’s why IU needs guys to start proving themselves as shooters. I know people complain about Woodson not focusing on shooting more 3’s but I get it. 

1 minute ago, 5 championships said:

It’s our best lineup in my opinion…Mack can bring the other teams 4 out on the perimeter then look at all the space the guards have to play with. I don’t understand how we didn’t see a single minute of that lineup. 

I think it’s because when Woody finally went to the 3 guards in the 2nd half that lineup was working and Woody didn’t want to change anything. 

Some bright spots and we came away with a win. Loved what I saw from Cupps and Ware, that went a long way to answer a couple of key question marks about this team.

X and Trey were mostly solid. Our backcourt is thin on bodies, but I feel pretty good about the three main guys if they can stay healthy.

Malik and Mack have got to be better. Malik scored well but was as bad on defense as he was good on offense, and a non-factor on the glass. Mack just was no existent.

Gunn and Banks didn’t give us anything. Walker had a few flashes but looked like he tried to do things he isn’t capable of as the game tightened up. Need him to stick to his strengths.

Overall, defense sucked. We have some good pieces but we have got to stop over-helping and getting lost. We have three really good on ball defending guards and a great rim protector. Guys need to trust that and stop helping off.

Lastly, I am a little concerned for lack of a better term about our offense approach. We have to take more threes and we have to push the ball. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

We did see some different combinations tonight. I think we will see Mgbako in for Reneau at some point. Especially when he is in foul trouble.