What The Numbers Say

5fouls

2 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I am considering it, it still isn’t close.

Is Ware better than Edey because Edey is in a better situation too?

Smith will have had Edey for 2 years.

Cupps had TJD for zero years.

Cupps has had no benefit of playing with an AA. Smith will have had two years of playing with the POY, presumably. 

Tell me that doesn’t matter 

Just now, Steubenhoosier said:

Smith will have had Edey for 2 years.

Cupps had TJD for zero years.

Cupps has had no benefit of playing with an AA. Smith will have had two years of playing with the POY, presumably. 

Tell me that doesn’t matter 

I never said it doesn’t matter, but the gap is wider than whatever that matters.

Given that you think Purdue has such a large advantage in the post over what we have, and we are better at guard even with X out, is it fair to say that you think it’s bad coaching that we play through the post more than Purdue does?

8 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I am considering it, it still isn’t close.

Is Ware better than Edey because Edey is in a better situation too?

I'm joining in because people are forgetting something.  Edey is tall, yes, but the sonabitch also weighs 300 pounds.  

I'm not trying to equate things but when I played football I went against a kid that was 6'7" 270. I was 6'3" 240

How many of you have tried to push that mass around?  

Ware is better if things were equal.

Edey just happens to be massive. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Did you see what happened to Florida State today?  Best player out or not, they were not one of the 4 best teams.  

I think GA wins regardless, but Fla St was short 29 scholarship players and 13-15 starters. Not sure a meaningless bowl game that included one team’s second-third string players fits that narrative. JMO of course. I think it’s a lot more competitive with Fla St’s whole team. Kirby Smart even acknowledged it and said college football has a problem that needs to be fixed. 

Edit: Sorry, this was addressed. Should have gotten caught up before responding. 

Edited by kyhoosier29
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I'm joining in because people are forgetting something.  Edey is tall, yes, but the sonabitch also weighs 300 pounds.  

I'm not trying to equate things but when I played football I went against a kid that was 6'7" 270. I was 6'3" 240

Okay so Ware is better than Edey and Cupps is better than Smith?

2 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I think GA wins regardless, but Fla St was short 29 scholarship players and 13-15 starters. Not sure a meaningless bowl game that included one team’s second-third string players fits that narrative. JMO of course. I think it’s a lot more competitive with Fla St’s whole team. Kirby Smart even acknowledged it and said college football has a problem that needs to be fixed. 

Edit: Sorry, this was addressed. Should have gotten caught up before responding. 

I don't watch bowl games anymore.  Tired of these assholes not supporting their teammates just because they might get injured and not get a contract.  They might not make it through training camp if they got drafted

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I never said it doesn’t matter, but the gap is wider than whatever that matters.

Given that you think Purdue has such a large advantage in the post over what we have, and we are better at guard even with X out, is it fair to say that you think it’s bad coaching that we play through the post more than Purdue does?

I never said we are better at guard. Stop putting words in my mouth that were never said.

Just now, KoB2011 said:

Ware is fundamentally better than Edey.  Cupps is a Freshman. 

Do you have any idea how big Edey is?  You ever stand beside someone who is 7 feet 300 pounds?  I have. Try to move that. How big/small are you?  I'm 6'3 250. It takes a big man to make me feel small 

4 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I don't watch bowl games anymore.  Tired of these assholes not supporting their teammates just because they might get injured and not get a contract.  They might not make it through training camp if they got drafted

I’m torn on this debate because I’m a competitor and opting out goes against everything I stand for. However, if you know for sure you’re about to be a multi-millionaire I can’t blame a kid for playing it safe and not risking injury in a meaningless game. The 12 team playoff will help this issue, but I think every other team should just be done. I’ll stop talking about college football in the wrong thread. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I’m torn on this debate because I’m a competitor and opting out goes against everything I stand for. However, if you know for sure you’re about to be a multi-millionaire I can’t blame a kid for playing it safe and not risking injury in a meaningless game. The 12 team playoff will help this issue, but I think every other team should just be done. I’ll stop talking about college football in the wrong thread. 

I will after this but I do get where you're coming.  You used to have to earn a bowl game and they had some some prestige. But not anymore.  When they started letting 5-7 teams in and they started sounding like a Nascar race I started losing interest.  I'll watch if IU is in one. That's about it. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I got a Biology degree instead of Chemistry because I didn't want to do advanced Calculus which is what analytics looks like to me. 

Just had lunch with several of my old college friends. All engineers except the one who organized the get together that had a chemistry degree. He said he dropped out of Chem E when he got to calculus!

20 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Wrestled in high school and college, there is a reason they have weight classes!!!!!!

1 minute ago, Drroogh said:

Just had lunch with several of my old college friends. All engineers except the one who organized the get together that had a chemistry degree. He said he dropped out of Chem E when he got to calculus!

It isn’t just the Calculus though. You have BioChem, PChem, advanced physics.

I decided I wasn't going to grad school and could get the same types of jobs with bio as I could chem so I went that route.  Now I'm welding.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

It isn’t just the Calculus though. You have BioChem, PChem, advanced physics.

I decided I wasn't going to grad school and could get the same types of jobs with bio as I could chem so I went that route.  Now I'm welding.  

Anymore bio is a better career than chemistry, and one could do far worse than welding! I’ve spent several decades as a manufacturing/quality engineer and you would not trust anything I welded, I know I wouldn’t!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Anymore bio is a better career than chemistry, and one could do far worse than welding! I’ve spent several decades as a manufacturing/quality engineer and you would not trust anything I welded, I know I wouldn’t!

I took welding classes in high school. That and being an electrician was always an interest.

Even refurbished my grandpa's boat over spring break one year. I will always have my biology degree but I can do things others can't or are unwilling to do. And I have a desire to be the best. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Do you have any idea how big Edey is?  You ever stand beside someone who is 7 feet 300 pounds?  I have. Try to move that. How big/small are you?  I'm 6'3 250. It takes a big man to make me feel small 

I didn’t ask who was more fundamentally sound, I asked who is better.

Cupps is a freshman, but the debate was about Smith vs Cupps as freshman.

I like Gabe Cupps. He's still incredibly early in his career and will develop. The kid works way to hard and plays way to hard to not be successful. But, I am also a little underwhelmed so far in terms of what he's been able to do with the opportunity he's had. 

In comparison to Braeden Smith, at least at this point, there really isn't one. Of course Smith benefits from having Edey, no doubt there. But, Cupps also has arguably the best interior combo in the Big Ten with Ware/Reneau. 

The gap in production between Smith and Cupps is MASSIVE. Again I like Cupps and am bullish on his long-term potential, but right now he's not contributing much in 24mpg against largely low-to-mid major competition other than not messing up much. 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

3 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I didn’t ask who was more fundamentally sound, I asked who is better.

Cupps is a freshman, but the debate was about Smith vs Cupps as freshman.

You did ask and I answered your question to the best of my abilities 

42 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Here is your answer