What The Numbers Say

5fouls

35 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Who, on the team, is looking to score?  Who should look more aggressively to get a shot up?

Field Goal Attempts per 40 minutes.  

image.png.35ca32d8a286b030f7dbdb36f2674314.png

AW needs to be way less. I scare my dogs every time he shoots anything outside of a layup.

CJ is a little more complex. I like the shots he is taking. He just has to start hitting them.

KW is not good back to the rim. mid range game and sprinkle in perimeter. draw their bigs out.

MM has had good looks, just needs to hit.

PS is robotic. You can tell that he is thinking about everything. just play ball

TG and GC i would like to have more action for them to have more looks at spot up 3's.

XJ continue to do what you do. I will take his 2-3 bad shots a game if that keeps him engaged. And his bad shots are at the rim trying to make things happen.

Overall we gotta put people in positions where they are a threat.... which has been okay to this point. they just have to start hitting shots at some point.

• Like 5

A couple of things:

- I think MMs shot begins to fall

- I'd like to see Galloway be more aggressive. He's a senior.

- Walker, when in the game, needs to stop shooting threes.

- Wouldn't mind seeing Cupps try and shoot more. I know he air balled a shot against Uconn, but from all accounts, he's a good shooter and we need to establish some sort of 3 point game.

- 1-11 from 3 won't cut it. Need shot makers and someone to step up (Galloway, MM, Cupps).

Edited by Hoosier987
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

A couple of things:

- I think MMs shot begins to fall

- I'd like to see Galloway be more aggressive. He's a senior.

- Walker, when in the game, needs to stop shooting threes.

- Wouldn't mind seeing Cupps try and shoot more. I know he air balled a shot against Uconn, but from all accounts, he's a good shooter and we need to establish some sort of 3 point game.

- 1-11 from 3 won't cut it. Need shot makers and someone to step up (Galloway, MM, Cupps).

XJ to pop it every time the defender goes under the ball screen.

• Like 1

3-point shooting has obviously been a discussion point so far this season.  I decided to compare IU to a random Power 5 school in 3-Point Attempt Rate (meaning what percentage of a team's total shots are 3-pointers).  In order to be completely random, I looked at Indiana's KenPom ranking (#81) and cut that effectively in half and chose the KenPom ranked #40 team, which happened to be Pitt.

IU has 10 players in its rotation, and it appears Pitt does as well (the top guy listed for Pitt is not in rotation).  I chose a 33% rate to be what I was looking for.  IU has 3 rotation players that shoot 3-pointers at that rate or higher.  Pitt has 8.  

That said, last year's IU team only had 4 rotation players at that rate or higher, and IU had a successful season.

IU

image.png.8235d1f459825ff8575a82eeee517851.png

Pitt

image.png.ceb9bdc8b5bf7bb5d4035f0a7f0e9c97.png

Edited by 5fouls

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/21/2023 at 9:11 AM, 5fouls said:

image.png.7733b526de993e598b943a5f0be6dcbc.png

Last time I looked at Player Efficiency rating was on 11/21.  We've had two games since then, so thought I would look at any movement (15.0 is considered average in NBA.  Not sure how that translated to college).

• Ware, not surprisingly went from very good to even better. 
  • Reneau stayed stable.  Needs to stay out of foul trouble.
  • X's injury will keep him steady for the time being.
  • Anthony Walker continues an upward trend as he has become a key factor off the bench.
  • Mgbako with a significant jump after his two best games as a Hoosier.  Excited to see him continue to raise that number.
  • Banks had that one stat stuffing game.  While he has had some decent efforts after that, that one game is making his number higher than it otherwise would be.
  • Galloway has been up and down.  If he can string together some efforts like last night, he'll start an upward trajectory.
  • Gunn will likely never be a high efficiency player due to his shooting woes.  He needs to stand out on the defensive side to make his mark.
  • Sparks has had a couple of off games.  Will be watching to see if he can carve out a role that gives him meaningful minutes during conference play.
  • Cupps is going to have a big role this year, even more so while X is out.  Other than effort, he's just not doing anything particularly well now, especially on the offensive end.  That said, he's a freshman point-guard.  I don't think he'll ever be a scorer, so I'll be paying special attention to his assist to turnover numbers.
  • Leal had not played before these last two games.  His 2 turnovers in 14 minutes are not helping his numbers.  I wonder if he got dinged for the end of game shot clock violation last night.  If so, that's a little unfair.  

image.png.1cd69ee940d9f5ea53facd339b2e2c17.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

Well...The first NET rankings came out and we're #137. Yikes. For those that say margin of victory doesn't matter against lesser oponenents...well, NET proves otherwise.

This doesn't help either...Maryland and Louisville both on this list. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

@BGleas are you DoogieHauser? JK!

Haha, no 🤣.

But, to reply to The Daily Hoosier's point, I don't think anyone has said the NET is supposed to be a subjective ranking of best team to worst team. 

From my understanding, It's a ranking of how teams are performing relative to their schedule, etc. 

So his tweet is kind of a moot point. Of course IU is better than the 137th ranked team, but they haven't necessarily performed better than that given the schedule. 

Many, many opportunities to improve on the NET ranking, it's incredibly early, but no denying IU has dug themselves a bit of a 'NET hole'. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Purdue7 said:

Luckily unlike football you get to decide it on the field 

Can’t argue the team has played better every game 

still waiting for banks & Gunn to step up 

You might be waiting for a long time...we've been waiting for 1-1/2 years.

Buy stock in Mgbako and Ware. They have showed up and continue to improve. 

Edited by Hoosier987
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

You might be waiting for a long time...we've been waiting for 1-1/2 years.

Buy stock in Mgbako and Ware. They have showed up and continue to improve. 

I would argue that Banks has improved and been playing better the last several games. 

He's defending well, hitting the glass and getting some easy, scrappy buckets here and there.

He's not yet a guy you're going to feed the ball to for scoring or anything, but he's improving at being an effective role player on both ends. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I would argue that Banks has improved and been playing better the last several games. 

He's defending well, hitting the glass and getting some easy, scrappy buckets here and there.

He's not yet a guy you're going to feed the ball to for scoring or anything, but he's improving at being an effective role player on both ends. 

And not to mention the improvement Malik has shown.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BGleas said:

He has certainly made better strides than CJ. I think you hit the nail on it's head. He's a serviceable role player.

CJ is screaming mid-major to me....but then again, I though Geronimo was too and he found himself at Maryland (though he didn't look impressive against us).

• Like 1