What The Numbers Say

5fouls

12 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I would argue that Banks has improved and been playing better the last several games. 

He's defending well, hitting the glass and getting some easy, scrappy buckets here and there.

He's not yet a guy you're going to feed the ball to for scoring or anything, but he's improving at being an effective role player on both ends. 

I also think Anthony Walker is carving out a solid role on this team and is contributing more and more.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

Malik has improved. He needs to get better at court awareness...I think that will come with more reps.

Agree. The reps will help. He is seeing double teams, and defense geared towards him that he never had to deal with last year.

Sure there will be a learning curve, but as you said, he is getting better and better.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Agree. The reps will help. He is seeing double teams, and defense geared towards him that he never had to deal with last year.

Sure there will be a learning curve, but as you said, he is getting better and better.

Let's not forget that even player like TJD take time to grow and improve. He wasn't nearly as good of a passer and didn't have the court vision he ended his college career with at first. He got better every year and his assist numbers show that by increasing every year before making a huge jump his senior year. Through the first 3 years he was under 2 assists per game. Reneau is at over 3 assists per game this year. So just going by that he's ahead of where TJD was at the same point in his career.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

He has certainly made better strides than CJ. I think you hit the nail on it's head. He's a serviceable role player.

CJ is screaming mid-major to me....but then again, I though Geronimo was too and he found himself at Maryland (though he didn't look impressive against us).

Geronimo is the exact same player he was here...He starts for Maryland because they have no one else to play the 4...

As far as CJ goes, he does need to start hitting shots, but if I have to pick between him and Gabe guarding high major guards, I'm going with CJ all day long...LaPhonso Ellis pointed out that when Maryland was trying to make a game of it, they were isolating Jahari Long on Gabe, and it was no contest...

And CJ does lead the team in steals...

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I think the #s say more of you should have been interested in Caleb Love and Jamison Battle this past offseason. 

Very valid point. Joe Girard is another...I admit, I wasn't too enamored with Girard's defensive prowess but he's carved out a huge role at Clemson. Knocking down threes at a high clip and defending well too.

Edited by Hoosier987
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Not advocating that this is good or 100% right, it's just one teams example. 

I think you're aware...The NET rewards teams for spanking bad teams.  It can cause pause with regard to scheduling too many tough OOC games especially good mid-majors. Credit Auburn for scheduling an away game at App State...but they lost. Not sure what the benefit is for them in scheduling that game.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Interesting.  If I were king of college sports, I would outlaw all analysis in college basketball and football based on margin of victory.  I'd focus on record versus strength of schedule.  IMO, margin of victory creates distortions.  Just my two cents.  

I am very concerned that college football consolidation will create outcomes based on margin of victory since  conference schedules are increasingly wildly different.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

After more reading and understanding the NET better, Goodman is, well...Wrong...

image.thumb.png.94b2dd58a19aea779ddab4f6c1477602.png

That's the basic formula...This article says that:

"In May 2020, the NCAA announced there will be changes made to the NCAA Evaluation Tool to increase accuracy and simplify it by reducing a five-component metric to just two."

"With the changes announced in May 2020, the NET will no longer use winning percentage, adjusted winning percentage and scoring margin.'

It's dated Nov 27, 2023, so it's from the NCAA and it's current...

Here are the current offensive efficiency numbers...

Here are the current defensive efficiency numbers...

So simply "blowing a team out" isn't the key...

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Are we going to get into another back and forth? If so I’ll go with the new en vouge phrase from coach Cig. Everyone sucks!

No, I promise not to...

But just looking at the first game vs FGCU...We only shot 45 FGs and made 51%...Seems to me the low number of FGAs drags down our Offensive Efficiency...

28 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

The graphic you posted earlier does not support that. Efficiency is just a slightly fancier fg%.... which is improved when you dunk all over weak competition. 

Yeah, you're right... Hurried through my math which is never a good thing...

But the fact remains that scoring margin doesn't factor in....

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Yeah, you're right... Hurried through my math which is never a good thing...

But the fact remains that scoring margin doesn't factor in....

#5.  Not past 10 points.  So blowouts don't factor.  Barely beating bad teams by less than 10 evidently hurts and beating teams by at least 10 helps.  But beating them by 10 or 30 is the same.  According to the graphic you just posted.  

2 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

#5.  Not past 10 points.  So blowouts don't factor.  Barely beating bad teams by less than 10 evidently hurts and beating teams by at least 10 helps.  But beating them by 10 or 30 is the same.  According to the graphic you just posted.  

I think you're both ignoring that a blowout is going to have a pretty big impact on efficiencies.

• Like 3