UConn post game thread

Reacher

3 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

You know what, while I'm at it, I'm gonna also post on the positive side.  That was the #5 team in the nation.  X was mostly out of the game.  We definitely can get much better each game.  Mbako worries me.  

They also fouled out Malik. After he was benched was when Uconn started piling it on. 

6 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

Not gonna be a popular post and some will say it’s overreacting to a loss, but… I’m just not sold on Woodson.  I have said from the start that I wasn’t excited about the hire.  Then he embraced the alumni and history and seemed to make IU cool.  Seemed to recruit well.  I tried to get excited, but I just don’t think he’s the guy.  That said, we aren’t gonna go get a big time, proven college coach, so I guess we just hope for the best until he retires.  Please please come out on a mission tomorrow and not licking our wounds.  Gotta beat Louisville. 

This is kind of where I'm at too.

• Like 1

Well...I mean everyone's fears have kinda come true in today's game. All of the glaring holes in our teams game has been shown against the #5 team. We have a team that has no identity. We are still not locked in on defense which allows open 3s. Our rebounding is skeptical. Our shooters are not shooting well right now. Our second unit is not prepared to fight. Our freshman stud has been absent. So all of the question marks at the beginning of the year have been to the negative. I hope Woody can get this turned around. We were in this game until the 10 minute mark in the second half. After that flury of bs officiating it kinda broke our back and it all went down hill after that. Bright side is we stayed with the #5 team for a long time. Our team is oozing with potential and talent but we are not able to tap into that right now. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

My thoughts

• The refs did not cost IU the game by any means, but they were determined not to let IU win it.
  • IU fans need to stop making excuses for Mgbako.  There are freshman all ove teh country making positive contributions to their team.  he is not.
  • IU has ZERO depth.  Nobody off the bench provides consistently reliable minutes.  and, yes, I'm including Cupps in that.
  • Walker should not be in the rotation.
  • I try really hard to let Woodson coach, but I truly don't understand why he does not play Leal at all.  
  • X needs to control his emotions on the court.  The officials are not going to give you the benefit of the doubt if you visibly complain about every call.
  • This is a second division team in a watered down Big Ten.
  • Very disappointed in the energy and effort after Reneau fouled out.  

I think I agree with everything but the Leal point. I don’t think I’ve seen anything from his limited playing time that makes me think he should get minutes.

• Like 1

Look, I am as frustrated as anyone, but I don't think Malik played well. He went to the rim whether he was doubled or tripled teamed. He got the offense stagnant, so when we needed some guard to step up no one could because they were iced out all game. I know its difficult to take the ball out of his hands because he is the only one scoring right now, but if you don't, it will never get better.  

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

Not gonna be a popular post and some will say it’s overreacting to a loss, but… I’m just not sold on Woodson.  I have said from the start that I wasn’t excited about the hire.  Then he embraced the alumni and history and seemed to make IU cool.  Seemed to recruit well.  I tried to get excited, but I just don’t think he’s the guy.  That said, we aren’t gonna go get a big time, proven college coach, so I guess we just hope for the best until he retires.  Please please come out on a mission tomorrow and not licking our wounds.  Gotta beat Louisville. 

No need to apologize. A lot of posters feel this way. Don’t let a couple of the typical posters make you apologize for a legit point. We’re all frustrated. If we don’t beat Louisville then we’re in deep shit 

Edited by Hoosier987
  • Like 1

Rebounding is desire and they don't have it. They have multiple guys they won't body anyone to block out and turn into spectators when the ball goes up.

Defense is still lost. Will anyone ask CMW what is the logic behind leaving shooters to dig in the post? Disciplined teams with a plan on offense will light uo this team.

Offense? What offense? The open shots they did get they couldn't hit most of them. It's watch MR force something  inside or toss up some junk. Somebody has to figure out how to shoot the ball.

1 minute ago, HoosierFaithful said:

Not the best game by any means but not sure how to judge that with the atrocious refereeing. I’m not even saying it lost us the game, I think UCONN was clearly better, but I can’t even fairly judge our players with that uneven of a balance of calls. 

Kind of where I am.  Sure, XJ had a bad game, but how much of it is because he was getting elbowed in the throat every other play, and then getting ghost foul calls on him at the other end?  You can say he needs to rise above it, and you'd be right, but at this point, we know who he is; emotion is a big part of his game.

And Reneau should not have fouled out at all.  2-3 of the fouls on him were such terrible, terrible calls.

If just those two things aren't perpetrated by the refs, I think this is a single digit loss, and everyone's tune is much different.

The only things that I found really disappointing today are:

- Rebounding

- Mgbako- just not even any effort at all, terrible shots, completely lost on defense.  If you took away his recruiting ranking, everyone would be wondering why he played AT ALL

- The lack of fight after Reneau fouled out - we folded like a cheap suit

• Like 3

Summary thoughts.  Frustrating that our Big guy shot 20% on ten tries.  X had 0 rbs, 1 asst 4 pts.  Malik was great.  Contrast with our RBs and teamwork with their guy Newton. He is just 6’5”, 195…he shot almost 50%, 11 Rbs and 6 assts.  thats 3 more Rbs than Ware and matches IU team assts.   UConn is well coached and outplayed us on fundamentals as well as execution.    

2 minutes ago, Euroclydon said:

Rebounding is desire and they don't have it. They have multiple guys they won't body anyone to block out and turn into spectators when the ball goes up.

Exactly. It’s called being SOFT! I don’t mince my words. I bleed crimson and cream and am very passionate and it’s been a tough 20 years sans a couple of years. ..which is why I probably come across more negative. There hasn’t been many bright spots to root for. Sadly, this year is pointing towards another disappointment.

Edited by Hoosier987

8 minutes ago, Kdug said:

I think I agree with everything but the Leal point. I don’t think I’ve seen anything from his limited playing time that makes me think he should get minutes.

A senior hometown scholarship player should get in the last couple of minutes of a 20-point blowout, especially when the guys who were on the floor, for the most part, were playing poorly.    

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

A senior hometown scholarship player should get in the last couple of minutes of a 20-point blowout, especially when the guys who were on the floor, for the most part, were playing poorly.    

Whats your thoughts on why Leal doesn’t get playing time even in scrap minutes? I for one, would rather play Leal over Walker.

Edited by Hoosier987
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

I’ll go back to the point I made regarding him in a couple of other threads, we lose athleticism with him on the floor, but I believe we gain basketball IQ which wouldn’t be a bad thing right now. As of now, playing him won’t hurt anything. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

Mgbako holds the key. He and to a lesser degree Ware, are the two guys who I feel can make significant leaps in their play as the season goes on. If they do, we stand a fighting chance…if not, then yikes 

I honestly do not know.  But, it's obvious that Woodson considers him to be no different than a walk-on.