UConn post game thread

Reacher

7 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

Kind of where I am.  Sure, XJ had a bad game, but how much of it is because he was getting elbowed in the throat every other play, and then getting ghost foul calls on him at the other end?  You can say he needs to rise above it, and you'd be right, but at this point, we know who he is; emotion is a big part of his game.

And Reneau should not have fouled out at all.  2-3 of the fouls on him were such terrible, terrible calls.

If just those two things aren't perpetrated by the refs, I think this is a single digit loss, and everyone's tune is much different.

The only things that I found really disappointing today are:

- Rebounding

- Mgbako- just not even any effort at all, terrible shots, completely lost on defense.  If you took away his recruiting ranking, everyone would be wondering why he played AT ALL

- The lack of fight after Reneau fouled out - we folded like a cheap suit

I don't need to bother writing. This is the sum up. Nothing more to say until we beat Louisville tomorrow.

22 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

My thoughts

• The refs did not cost IU the game by any means, but they were determined not to let IU win it.
  • IU fans need to stop making excuses for Mgbako.  There are freshman all ove teh country making positive contributions to their team.  he is not.
  • IU has ZERO depth.  Nobody off the bench provides consistently reliable minutes.  and, yes, I'm including Cupps in that.
  • Walker should not be in the rotation.
  • I try really hard to let Woodson coach, but I truly don't understand why he does not play Leal at all.  
  • X needs to control his emotions on the court.  The officials are not going to give you the benefit of the doubt if you visibly complain about every call.
  • This is a second division team in a watered down Big Ten.
  • Very disappointed in the energy and effort after Reneau fouled out.  

There is alot of "Stars " on the team..doesn't translate to the game...gonna be a long year...be lucky to beat Louisville 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

A senior hometown scholarship player should get in the last couple of minutes of a 20-point blowout, especially when the guys who were on the floor, for the most part, were playing poorly.    

That’s fair. Just don’t think he’s done anything to warrant many non-mop up minutes. And I’d imagine if he looked good in practice, he would be in the rotation.

• Like 1

Six weeks ago we were going to be a solid 10 deep rotation.  Today we are poorly constructed?  How did that happen?  We all agree we desperately needed shooters after last year, but isn’t that what MM and Cupps were supposed to be?  Today I understand what the Duck fans were saying about Ware.  I did however think Gunn logged some very solid defensive minutes and the shots he took were within the flow of the game.  I really do think those will start to fall.

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, IU_Realist said:

End of the day it’s poor roster construction.  It still amazes me we pass on guards that can shoot, etc for other players and then miss out on everyone.  I haven’t been a fan of Woodson since he was hired and still am not. Offense has always been horrible to watch.  

It felt like every time Spencer let it fly, it was going in. Do we have anyone even close to that…No.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I can't believe I'm going to say this, because I've never seen what some of you see in CJ Gunn, but I think at this point we need to start Gunn, completely bench Walker and let Mgbako be Reneau's backup at the 4. 

At least Gunn tired on defense today. A shame that's were we're at with that spot. 

I honestly would have some hope if I felt Woodson would make some changes, including on the offensive end but he’s proven time and time again that he’s not capable of making the changes everyone else sees.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I can't believe I'm going to say this, because I've never seen what some of you see in CJ Gunn, but I think at this point we need to start Gunn, completely bench Walker and let Mgbako be Reneau's backup at the 4. 

At least Gunn tired on defense today. A shame that's were we're at with that spot. 

I don’t know the answer, but we have to try something different against Louisville tomorrow. 

RMK would sit Mgbako and send a message. 

Edited by Parakeet Jones

Just now, Hoosier987 said:

I honestly would have some hope if I felt Woodson would make some changes, including on the offensive end but he’s proven time and time again that he’s not capable of making the changes everyone else sees.

It will be interesting to see, because Mgbako is unplayable at this point, especially if you're not even going to try and involve him in the offense. 

Ouch… not any angrier than I was after the last game as I expected a 20 point beat down. Others have already pointed it out, but good grief this roster is bad. 

*Can’t shoot, have ZERO shooters - Mgbako is bad at everything. 
*Can’t rebound - what’s the IU record for most OR given up in a season. KW and MR have arguably been two of our better players, but it’s not good enough on the boards. 
*No bench - First game I felt GC was outmatched. Banks and Walker are terrible in all fashions. Gunn and Sparks have moments, but aren’t good enough. 
*XJ can’t lead this team if he can’t control his emotions or play under control. Can’t act like a clown every time he fouls somebody, good call or not. 
*Yes, officiating was bad, but not why we got drubbed. 

I was satisfied with the effort and result for 30 minutes, which gives me hope this team can get better. However, it doesn’t appear our shortcomings are going anywhere anytime soon. Hope we don’t find a new low tomorrow and lose to Louisville. 

• Like 1

Gunn earned more minutes

Rebounding has to get better. 

Johnson must be better. quit complaining about every call and no call  

MM has to give us something or see less minutes  Needs to learn to play hard all of the time  

The refs killed us. They took Reneau and Johnson out of the game with their calls. Not why we lost but game would have been a lot closer if called evenly. A lot of touch fouls on drives and around the basket for uconn. 

• Like 1