UConn post game thread

Reacher

18 minutes ago, HoosierFaithful said:

Squaring this reality with the foul discrepancy is wild to me. We were driving every play. 

The fouls were dead even.

The refs sucked, don’t get me wrong, my issue personally wasn’t the volume of calls on UConn so much as the inconsistency of the calls on each end.

That said, that contributed absolutely nothing to why we got dominated on the glass and why we got dominated from the three point line.

Our two bigs are the strength of our team, but they are both poor rebounders for their size. Neither is good at rebounding out of their area. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IUProfessor said:

Something that struck me during the game -- Woodson knows the game as well as anyone from an Xs and Os standpoint dating back to his NBA days, but he never really was involved on the roster construction side of things in the pros. Three years in at IU, and he has yet to show he can build a coherent roster at the college level. I would have hoped he'd have learned from the shortcomings of the first two years, but year three may be the worst yet in that regard, which isn't a promising sign for the future...

does he know the college game as well as anyone though?  this was my worry coming in.  he was an NBA assistant and for a little while an NBA head coach.  different from college.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

My thoughts

• The refs did not cost IU the game by any means, but they were determined not to let IU win it.
  • IU fans need to stop making excuses for Mgbako.  There are freshman all ove teh country making positive contributions to their team.  he is not.
  • IU has ZERO depth.  Nobody off the bench provides consistently reliable minutes.  and, yes, I'm including Cupps in that.
  • Walker should not be in the rotation.
  • I try really hard to let Woodson coach, but I truly don't understand why he does not play Leal at all.  
  • X needs to control his emotions on the court.  The officials are not going to give you the benefit of the doubt if you visibly complain about every call.
  • This is a second division team in a watered down Big Ten.
  • Very disappointed in the energy and effort after Reneau fouled out.  

agreed.  Mbako doesn't get a pass in today's college game.  freshmen gotta be ready if they come in a 5 star recruit.  officiating was bad, but we didn't play well enough to win.  no depth at all.  another poster said this was the deepest team we've had.  i was super confused by that.  i'm afraid X is not the answer.  most on here wanted to say it was no big deal when he went 80 in a 45 or whatever and resisted arrest, but that guy isn't generally your best leader.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hoosier987 said:

No need to apologize. A lot of posters feel this way. Don’t let a couple of the typical posters make you apologize for a legit point. We’re all frustrated. If we don’t beat Louisville then we’re in deep shit 

thanks.  i'm doing my best to avoid arguing with the regime.  i'm not nervous about Louisville.  they are actually playing TX well.  really need to win tomorrow.  

4 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

does he know the college game as well as anyone though?  this was my worry coming in.  he was an NBA assistant and for a little while an NBA head coach.  different from college.  

One thing I’ve thought of in regard to the NBA experience, and I’ll admit I don’t follow the NBA as close as college ball, but in the NBA doesn’t the coach just coach for the most part and the GM is the one who builds the roster?  When you look at how poorly this roster is constructed, maybe we need a GM to put the roster together. I don’t know. It’s probably just the frustration talking. 

1 hour ago, Hoosier987 said:

Whats your thoughts on why Leal doesn’t get playing time even in scrap minutes? I for one, would rather play Leal over Walker.

my best guesses - he has accepted his role (not playing) and the coaches don't feel obligated to get him PT as opposed to the other guys and i guess positional?  that doesn't make any sense to me, but Walker is a 4 and he is a guard.  actually seems like we'd need Leal more positionally than Walker, so never mind.  

1 hour ago, Muddy River said:

Six weeks ago we were going to be a solid 10 deep rotation.  Today we are poorly constructed?  How did that happen?  We all agree we desperately needed shooters after last year, but isn’t that what MM and Cupps were supposed to be?  Today I understand what the Duck fans were saying about Ware.  I did however think Gunn logged some very solid defensive minutes and the shots he took were within the flow of the game.  I really do think those will start to fall.

people lose sight of when we play bad teams and good teams we will look differently.  

50 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I can't believe I'm going to say this, because I've never seen what some of you see in CJ Gunn, but I think at this point we need to start Gunn, completely bench Walker and let Mgbako be Reneau's backup at the 4. 

At least Gunn tried on defense today. A shame that's were we're at with that spot. 

I was thinking the same. Gunn plays hard and while his shot still looks rough, I do think he has potential. But that second unit needs a scorer and maybe MM can be that guy and get going that way. Gotta try something different soon 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NCHoosier32 said:

Not gonna be a popular post and some will say it’s overreacting to a loss, but… I’m just not sold on Woodson.  I have said from the start that I wasn’t excited about the hire.  Then he embraced the alumni and history and seemed to make IU cool.  Seemed to recruit well.  I tried to get excited, but I just don’t think he’s the guy.  That said, we aren’t gonna go get a big time, proven college coach, so I guess we just hope for the best until he retires.  Please please come out on a mission tomorrow and not licking our wounds.  Gotta beat Louisville. 

I don’t think this is unfair. This is a big year for him and so far it isn’t looking good. 

We are in a rebuild year. Unfortunately we have to rebuild from a Rd32 team. It is pretty clear that we are not going to improve on last year, which puts us at year four with CMW. It feels like we are as far away from winning a Big Ten and competing in the tourney as we have been since Crean. This year will tell us what we need to know.

Just now, IUDan93 said:

We are in a rebuild year. Unfortunately we have to rebuild from a Rd32 team. It is pretty clear that we are not going to improve on last year, which puts us at year four with CMW. It feels like we are as far away from winning a Big Ten and competing in the tourney as we have been since Crean. This year will tell us what we need to know.

in modern college bball, i can't accept a rebuild year at IU.  everyone lives and dies by the portal.  we have a solid NIL.  everyone loses most of their roster yearly with the combo of the draft and the portal.  

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, IUDan93 said:

While Woodson has certainly had success with Spring recruiting in his tenure, the scary part of your post is that we don't have much coming in that addresses our issues. 

McNeely certainly helps with shooting, though won't matter much if he's stuck standing in the corner like Kopp/Mgbako. 

But, we have nothing coming in to address our backcourt depth and issues. We lost XJ and at least as of now aren't adding anything. 

We need another JHS like guard recruit and there isn't much out there and that's tough to do in the Spring. 

3 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

Yikes! If this doesn’t scream wake up call to Woodson and staff then I don’t know what will. Everyone recognizes the extreme poor play on the perimeter due to offensive scheme and lack of shooters/explosiveness.

It’s clear that Hurley reads this board as he is just repeating what we all have been saying this past week.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

While Woodson has certainly had success with Spring recruiting in his tenure, the scary part of your post is that we don't have much coming in that addresses our issues. 

McNeely certainly helps with shooting, though won't matter much if he's stuck standing in the corner like Kopp/Mgbako. 

But, we have nothing coming in to address our backcourt depth and issues. We lost XJ and at least as of now aren't adding anything. 

We need another JHS like guard recruit and there isn't much out there and that's tough to do in the Spring. 

A subpar year will do nothing to attract the kind of players we need from the portal. I don’t care how solid our NIL program is, guys want to win. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Yes and no. IMO, the spring recruiting has been overrated. Yes we've landed some highly regarded guys, but I'm not sure any of them have been championship caliber players. Our big spring gets have been (in no particular order): Bates, XJ, Kopp, Reneau, Ware, and Mbgako. There is obviously still a lot of time to go before the jury is in on Ware and Mbgako, but I'm not sure any of those guys are core players on a championship-level team. A few of them may be talented enough, but lack the requisite work ethic and/or mental toughness. Others just aren't well rounded enough. Again, just IMO.

Edited by IUProfessor

24 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Newton will be a big help

• Like 2