UConn post game thread

Reacher

Not gonna be a popular post and some will say it’s overreacting to a loss, but… I’m just not sold on Woodson.  I have said from the start that I wasn’t excited about the hire.  Then he embraced the alumni and history and seemed to make IU cool.  Seemed to recruit well.  I tried to get excited, but I just don’t think he’s the guy.  That said, we aren’t gonna go get a big time, proven college coach, so I guess we just hope for the best until he retires.  Please please come out on a mission tomorrow and not licking our wounds.  Gotta beat Louisville. 

• Like 3

Games are won and lost before a game is even played. In this team’s case, it’s magnified and we’re seeing it unfold before our very eyes…perimeter play was not addressed at all during the off season. 

Guards or shooters weren’t a focus so we grabbed an Anthony Walker or a Payton Sparks! And we’re still getting smoked on the boards. So frustrating. Perimeter play is what wins games…we don’t have it. 

I could’ve sworn Woodson was going to a more guard oriented play once TJD left…seems like he’s doubled down on the opposite with less talent.

Edited by Hoosier987
  • Sad 1

Just now, IndyHoosier said:

Am I allowed to vent here Blue? Or no? Does Woody’s year 3 team beat ol Archie’s year 3 team?

You are allowed to post. Sure. Just don't be so blatantly trying to stir the pot. 

Nobody is happy. 

If you wan a discuss the game and team, sure. 

If your goal.is to say Cliff Marshal fishes too much and our players hate babies etc.....then just stop.

That's all.

• Like 3

Just now, Hoosier987 said:

Games are won and lost before a game is even played. In this team’s case, it’s magnified and we’re seeing it unfold before our very eyes.

Guards or shooters weren’t a focus so we grabbed an Anthony Walker or a Payton Sparks! So frustrating. Perimeter play is what wins games…we don’t have it. 

I could’ve sworn Woodson was going to a more guard oriented play once TJD left…seems like he’s doubled down on the opposite with less talent.

We just recruit the help out of PFs and Cs and players who can’t shoot.  Our offense is atrocious to watch.  Always has been especially when he goes two bigs. 

27 minutes of solid basketball. With a fair whistle, we played them close to even. The last 13 minutes were really bad.

We really need some guards to step up. Malik was great, and Ware was solid. X, Galloway, and Mack were not good. I felt like CJ and to a lesser extent Sparks were the only ones who provided anything off the bench.

My thoughts

• The refs did not cost IU the game by any means, but they were determined not to let IU win it.
  • IU fans need to stop making excuses for Mgbako.  There are freshman all ove teh country making positive contributions to their team.  he is not.
  • IU has ZERO depth.  Nobody off the bench provides consistently reliable minutes.  and, yes, I'm including Cupps in that.
  • Walker should not be in the rotation.
  • I try really hard to let Woodson coach, but I truly don't understand why he does not play Leal at all.  
  • X needs to control his emotions on the court.  The officials are not going to give you the benefit of the doubt if you visibly complain about every call.
  • This is a second division team in a watered down Big Ten.
  • Very disappointed in the energy and effort after Reneau fouled out.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Just now, NCHoosier32 said:

You know what, while I'm at it, I'm gonna also post on the positive side.  That was the #5 team in the nation.  X was mostly out of the game.  We definitely can get much better each game.  Mbako worries me.  

X came in and then they extended the lead.  X just isn’t the guy you want to run the point.  He is too emotional and has issues.  Had a point to bring it to 5 and he turns it over and gets Reneau his fourth foul.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, IndyHoosier said:

Am I allowed to vent here Blue? Or no? Does Woody’s year 3 team beat ol Archie’s year 3 team?

Answer is no. Maybe it changes…maybe not. People were quick to anoint Woodson as the savior? And for what reason? I have no idea. We lost in the 2nd round with the best player in the country last year and who by the way was an Archie recruit!

Something that struck me during the game -- Woodson knows the game as well as anyone from an Xs and Os standpoint dating back to his NBA days, but he never really was involved on the roster construction side of things in the pros. Three years in at IU, and he has yet to show he can build a coherent roster at the college level. I would have hoped he'd have learned from the shortcomings of the first two years, but year three may be the worst yet in that regard, which isn't a promising sign for the future...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

Not gonna be a popular post and some will say it’s overreacting to a loss, but… I’m just not sold on Woodson.  I have said from the start that I wasn’t excited about the hire.  Then he embraced the alumni and history and seemed to make IU cool.  Seemed to recruit well.  I tried to get excited, but I just don’t think he’s the guy.  That said, we aren’t gonna go get a big time, proven college coach, so I guess we just hope for the best until he retires.  Please please come out on a mission tomorrow and not licking our wounds.  Gotta beat Louisville. 

Man, I hate that part of me is starting to agree with you. I love how Woodson had unified the fanbase and honored the legacy of IU basketball. However, this roster construction is really ugly. Mgbako is a 4, Banks is a 4, Walker should never play, and we don’t have enough good guards that can run the offense and/or hit any sort of open shot. Defense looked better at times today, but it’s just been a really frustrating team to watch at time. I don’t know what to think. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NCHoosier32 said:

I have never been sold on him. He has done some good things but we won't get to the promised land with him. To me, he is Tom Allen without all the LEO bullsh??.

I hope he proves me wrong. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1