IU Players Entering Transfer Portal

KDB

14 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

If you think JMU could compete in the BigTen you’re incredibly naive. In 20 years that program has 2 power 5 wins and one of them is this year’s 3-8 Virginia team by a field goal. This is a completely different landscape than Elon and JMU. 

James Madison would have beat Indiana by 2 touchdowns this season.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Hoosier82 said:

If you think JMU could compete in the BigTen you’re incredibly naive. In 20 years that program has 2 power 5 wins and one of them is this year’s 3-8 Virginia team by a field goal. This is a completely different landscape than Elon and JMU. 

That really isn't informative. We understand it's a different school, literally, than Elon and JMU. 

18 minutes ago, btownqb said:

That really isn't informative. We understand it's a different school, literally, than Elon and JMU. 

Right. When a baseball player is raking in Triple A, we don't say he can't and won't be successful in the big leagues because he's never done it there. Typically, playing extremely well in Triple A means you have the tools and talent to succeed at the next level. Obviously isn't ALWAYS the case, but playing well (and coaching well) usually means you have the traits and qualities to succeed at the next level.

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, ephul said:

Right. When a baseball player is raking in Triple A, we don't say he can't and won't be successful in the big leagues because he's never done it there. Typically, playing extremely well in Triple A means you have the tools and talent to succeed at the next level. Obviously isn't ALWAYS the case, but playing well (and coaching well) usually means you have the traits and qualities to succeed at the next level.

Great analogy. Coach has traits that tend to carry-over. Plus, he learned "the process" from Saban, and those coaches that apply it seem to have been pretty successful. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, ephul said:

Wow. That's a tremendous analogy. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Hoosier82 said:

Hard to believe all these CTA kids have already been properly evaluated already. Cig is starting to come off as an arrogant blow hard who’s plan is to tear this program down to the ground because nothing and no one can build a program like he can. This isn’t Elon and he didn’t build anything at JMU, he inherited it. I get how some are attracted to his no nonsense, cocky approach but he isn’t Saban and this aint Alabama.

Hopefully, I’m reading the situation wrong but losing half the team and recruits while offering a bunch of JMU guys was not the start I was hoping for

If you are this upset about losing players that are losers, 3 wins?, not sure what to tell you. That being said, some of the kids he is recruiting appear to be the same as the kids leaving. 5-10..170lb 3 star kids will get you 3 wins in the Big Ten. I hope CCC figures that out fast.

26 minutes ago, Indykev said:

If you are this upset about losing players that are losers, 3 wins?, not sure what to tell you. That being said, some of the kids he is recruiting appear to be the same as the kids leaving. 5-10..170lb 3 star kids will get you 3 wins in the Big Ten. I hope CCC figures that out fast.

We are only ever going to get 2-3 "star" kids. CC basically said that in the presser. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

It’s a completely different level of talent on the field and competitive environment. The AAA baseball analogy ephaul made is absolutely ridiculous. The literal point of the MLB farm system is to create a developmental system for players who aren’t ready for the big leagues.

JMU and Elon are/were very successful “AAA level programs”. Saying you’d take JMU’s team over IU is the same as saying you’d take the Buffalo Bisons roster over the Chicago White Sox. Sure the Bisons could win 1-2 out of 10 if they’re lucky but what’s good enough to win at their level doesn’t scratch the surface at the next. 

No one is saying Cignetti isn’t a good coach. That said, coming in hot and saying IU will be playing in the conference championship game next season, not honoring scholarship offers (allegedly), saying Michigan and OSU sucks is crazy. Claiming he has a blueprint for success/building programs that he sets himself and pushes down to his staff is arrogant boarding on negligence. The guy simply doesn’t have the resume to back that up.  I sincerely hope he’s successful here and with the right attitude, staff and recruiting success he can be. That said, if I had to guess, Harbaugh, Day and Franklin are chuckling at his naivety, not shaking in their boots.  

Edited by Hoosier82

25 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

It’s a completely different level of talent on the field and competitive environment. The AAA baseball analogy ephaul made is absolutely ridiculous. The literal point of the MLB farm system is to create a developmental system for players who aren’t ready for the big leagues.

JMU and Elon are/were very successful “AAA level programs”. Saying you’d take JMU’s team over IU is the same as saying you’d take the Buffalo Bisons roster over the Chicago White Sox. Sure the Bisons could win 1-2 out of 10 if they’re lucky but what’s good enough to win at their level doesn’t scratch the surface at the next. 

No one is saying Cignetti isn’t a good coach. That said, coming in hot and saying IU will be playing in the conference championship game next season, not honoring scholarship offers (allegedly), saying Michigan and OSU sucks is crazy. Claiming he has a blueprint for success/building programs that he sets himself and pushes down to his staff is arrogant boarding on negligence. The guy simply doesn’t have the resume to back that up.  I sincerely hope he’s successful here and with the right attitude, staff and recruiting success he can be. That said, if I had to guess, Harbaugh, Day and Franklin are chuckling at his naivety, not shaking in their boots.  

Elon being a successful program was an interesting tidbit. They were 12-47 before he got there. 

Coaching staffs everywhere "don't always honor every previous offer", not a reason to knock him. 

The pc stuff crazy overblown... no one cares. Doesn't have a resume? He has the best resume we've ever hired... he was a 25 year D1 asst before becoming a HC the past 12 years. 

I'm guessing none of the 3 coaches you mentioned gave a shit who we hired. What CC has said since then isn't a drop in the bucket for them. Again, no one cares but petty IU fans. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

Are you just referring to when he said he doesn't pay attention to stars?   If so, then not quite what he said.

Oh it's damn close and it's 100% what he was alluding to. 

I can give you 10-15 examples of CTA taking "high 3 star" "4 star" guys that basically no one else was recruiting, even though they'd offered by god... them coming here and not being worth a shit. 

So many examples 

Some "recruiting expert" dubbed them a 4 star on their meaningless recruiting site. No true scout done of the player, nothing, just a worthless rating. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Oh it's damn close and it's 100% what he was alluding to. 

I can give you 10-15 examples of CTA taking "high 3 star" "4 star" guys that basically no one else was recruiting, even though they'd offered by god... them coming here and not being worth a shit. 

So many examples 

Some "recruiting expert" dubbed them a 4 star on their meaningless recruiting site. No true scout done of the player, nothing, just a worthless rating. 

No it's not.  He said he trusts his own ability to rate players over that of some media person who doesn't watch nearly as much film.

Not even remotely close to saying we will never get anything better than 2 or 3 star recruits.

Call you Gumby for that massive stretch.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iuswingman said:

No it's not.  He said he trusts his own ability to rate players over that of some media person who doesn't watch nearly as much film.

Not even remotely close to saying we will never get anything better than 2 or 3 star recruits.

Coach Cig will absolutely look at, recruit and welcome 4 & 5 star kids...... He is just saying there are 2, 3 and even no-star kids who can be just as good.....with by-in and development through his system. jmo

Edited by Artesian_86
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

Coach Cig will absolutely look at, recruit and and welcome 4 and 5 star kids...... He is just saying there are 2,3 and no-star kids who can be just as good.....with by-in and development through his system. jmo

Exactly,  If my memory serves me,  most of the former Hoosiers currently active in the NFL were these type of players.

McFadden

Feeney

Jonesx2

Sudfield

Westbrook

Seems like the majority of our high rated recruits never panned out.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, iuswingman said:

I am going to agree with Btown on this.

That's an inference you have to make. He isn't going to come out and say IU sucks we will never get 5 stars. Instead, he is saying, dont get in a tizzy because of the star next to their name. trust me and trust my scouting. 

Call you teletubby for living in delusional land if you think we are going to constantly compete for high end 4 and 5 stars. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

I am going to agree with Btown on this.

That's an inference you have to make. He isn't going to come out and say IU sucks we will never get 5 stars. Instead, he is saying, dont get in a tizzy because of the star next to their name. trust me and trust my scouting. 

Call you teletubby for living in delusional land if you think we are going to constantly compete for high end 4 and 5 stars. 

lol who said anything about competing constantly for 4 and 5 star recruits?

All he said was he doesn't pay attention to stars.  You guys trying to extrapolate that he is giving up on 4 and 5 stars is laughable.

25 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

Coach Cig will absolutely look at, recruit and welcome 4 & 5 star kids...... He is just saying there are 2, 3 and even no-star kids who can be just as good.....with by-in and development through his system. jmo

That was my point.   He says he makes his own evaluations and goes from there.  That means some will inevitably be 4 or 5 star kids.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, iuswingman said:

lol who said anything about competing constantly for 4 and 5 star recruits?

All he said was he doesn't pay attention to stars.  You guys trying to extrapolate that he is giving up on 4 and 5 stars is laughable.

You are correct. Every coach in the history of ever has always said what he meant. There is never a reason to read between the lines on anything that is every said. 

But also, using your argument. "Who said anything about," giving up on 4 and 5 stars.

The argument that is occurring over this simple little thing is "laughable".

57 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

That was my point.   He says he makes his own evaluations and goes from there.  That means some will inevitably be 4 or 5 star kids.

Yea, he literally offered the top overall 2026 prospect, day one. Cig not recruiting 4/5 star guys was not what he said, and was never a thing. He was simply taking a shot at the recruiting analysts and stating that he knows how to evaluate talent more than they do

• Like 3

All coaches will find under the radar guys; diamond in the rough-types. Whether it's clairvoyance, artful scouting, late puberty/growth or just dumb luck, every coach can point to a few players that were overlooked that became success stories under their watch.

And the opposite can be true of highly rated "busts".

What it really comes down to is the relationship between coach and player, and how they're able to communicate with one another. Can they be on the same wavelength and be aligned on the same common goal? It's not always what the message is, but how it's delivered and received. (Just look at our basketball team with Ware & Woodson vs Ware & Altman.)

• Like 1