IU Players Entering Transfer Portal

KDB

1 hour ago, OGIUAndy said:

Who else would you like to see come back of those still in the portal? 

https://www.on3.com/college/indiana-hoosiers/transfer-portal/wire/football/2024/

Dunnam and Nick James.   I like Cam Camper too.  Carpenter at center. 

It’s really about getting fortifications from the portal now.  Interior offensive line, defensive line, LB…

How much you want to bet that Bostad was fine with the linemen we “lost”?

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Does WR Williams have another year of eligibility left. It took him awhile after transferring from Clemson but I thought he came along late

Williams has two years of remaining eligibility with the Hoosiers, and he's aiming to make the most of his opportunity. 
https://www.si.com/college/indiana/football/clemson-football-transfer-wide-receiver-ej-williams-looking-to-revitalize-career-with-indiana-hoosiers

That's when he transferred, so yes, he should have another year. I agree he started to play well. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I could see Lucas at UL with their NIL warchest lol. 

I think he’s a lot like Rondale Moore. 

We really underutilized him imo. There were a lot more ways we could have used him on offense.

I’d love for him to come back, but his timing on entering the portal suggests he won’t.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, rogue3542 said:

I think he’s a lot like Rondale Moore. 

We really underutilized him imo. There were a lot more ways we could have used him on offense.

I’d love for him to come back, but his timing on entering the portal suggests he won’t.

Definitely see the size,  speed, and quick cuts. Rondale was an absolute powerhouse; not sure Jaylin has anywhere close to that strength.

And I agree Jaylin was underutilized and also used incorrectly.  Not sure if he was promised he would be used as a running back, but he's a slot receiver, not Austin Ekeler or Barry Sanders. The times he ran between the tackles were ineffective and hurt Jaylin and the team.

He needs a fresh start, whether it's here with new coaches and a new offense, or somewhere else. I wish him success wherever that occurs.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Definitely see the size,  speed, and quick cuts. Rondale was an absolute powerhouse; not sure Jaylin has anywhere close to that strength.

And I agree Jaylin was underutilized and also used incorrectly.  Not sure if he was promised he would be used as a running back, but he's a slot receiver, not Austin Ekeler or Barry Sanders. The times he ran between the tackles were ineffective and hurt Jaylin and the team.

He needs a fresh start, whether it's here with new coaches and a new offense, or somewhere else. I wish him success wherever that occurs.

I like Lucas as a kick returner but in regular offense I think we will upgrade.  I think if he had hands and route running he would be in the slot.  The fact that he didn’t do it speaks volumes.  Last year, Allen basically admitted they had to get Lucas money after the season.  Based on the timing, I can speculate he was told he was getting a pay cut.  Seems obvious based on his 250 yards rushing, nonexistent blocking, not being a receiving threat, inability to run between the tackles.   I can totally see the evaluation on spending money.   Let him return kicks but pay him as a gadget guy.

I’d keep an eye on JMU, Midd Tenn St receivers in the portal.  That will be more production.  We will have D Mac, Cooper, Williams.  Perry is interesting.  

I expect also us to get active in the spring portal.  We will need to keep our powder dry for that period.  By then, CCC and staff will have had a lot more time to evaluate and it’s smart to keep a good chunk of schollies to get some key guys then.   When all is said and done, I think you end up with a better roster and with our process we can be a problem.  

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

As much as I love what he can bring, I sure don’t like seeing him hopping around now, to a third new team, it just doesn’t look good. Now, if he decided to hop back here, like Howland. I’d take him…lol

Chasing the cash. They dont pay much at Burgerking, which is his next job.

• 3 weeks later...
22 hours ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

Lucas to Florida St.

I wish him well.  We are moving on.  If I am betting, CCC saw the film and we didn’t pursue very hard if at all (never heard we tried like we did with McCulley and Smith and it’s obvious why if you saw him play).  I am sure we would take him for kickoff returns but if you saw the film he is hardly what CCC is describing in what he wants despite the chance for some electric plays.  CCC’s press conferences were screaming on this.  Best of luck to him.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I wish him well.  We are moving on.  If I am betting, CCC saw the film and we didn’t pursue very hard if at all (never heard we tried like we did with McCulley and Smith and it’s obvious why if you saw him play).  I am sure we would take him for kickoff returns but if you saw the film he is hardly what CCC is describing in what he wants despite the chance for some electric plays.  CCC’s press conferences were screaming on this.  Best of luck to him.  

If Fla.St watched the same film they must take anyone.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I’d have to imagine this came down to an allocation of resources. In a vacuum I would’ve loved to keep Lucas, he’s an electric returner who can change a game in one play.

The issue is he can get a lot of NIL money elsewhere, and I don’t think IU should be allocating that much to a kick returner. He’s not been overly productive or explosive as a running back yet, and I feel like spending the NIL needed to keep him would’ve been a big bet on him becoming productive at RB next year. And as Cignetii said in his opening presser, he looks for production over potential.

• Like 2