IUFB Roster 2024

btownqb

32 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

I think you’ll see some more JMU guys headed to IU after their bowl game 

Love hearing that. Just want to point out that by SP+, JMU ranks 18th in the country. That’d only be behind OSU, Michigan, and PSU in the big ten this year. Add some of the productive JMU players to what we have and that’s a great place to start.

Edited by Kdug
  • Like 5

Watching the film of additions--- Price has slot WR qualities, but he is a YAC guy. Get the ball to him in the flat and let him make people miss. 

Williams is pretty similar to Price. 

I would even consider these two--- almost--- "scat backs". They both look like they can return punts/kicks, too. 

But again... YAC guys... get them to ball on time and accurately and they make you look smart as a HC, OC, QB. 

These are my favorite types of players, truthfully, speed absolutely kills. Their lack of size is 100% irrelevant if you can't catch them. 

----------------------------------------------------------------

Miles Cross looks like the more polished WR of the 3. He is also considerably bigger than the other two, he appears to be able to play in the slot (take D Carter's minutes)... but I think he can play on the outside, some, too. Big looking dude. 

12 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I guess signing a bunch of Group of 5 guys is a good thing?

If they're from JMU, Coastal, Old Dominion, I'd have taken Bailey Zappe in college, I'm sure there are South Alabama kids that could help us... and I know App State and Georgia State have kids that would help us.

Bernhard Raimann went to CMU.. he would have helped. 

BYU+Boise were group of 5 until this year. Carson Steele was a group of 5 transfer. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Watching the film of additions--- Price has slot WR qualities, but he is a YAC guy. Get the ball to him in the flat and let him make people miss. 

Williams is pretty similar to Price. 

I would even consider these two--- almost--- "scat backs". They both look like they can return punts/kicks, too. 

But again... YAC guys... get them to ball on time and accurately and they make you look smart as a HC, OC, QB. 

These are my favorite types of players, truthfully, speed absolutely kills. Their lack of size is 100% irrelevant if you can't catch them. 

----------------------------------------------------------------

Miles Cross looks like the more polished WR of the 3. He is also considerably bigger than the other two, he appears to be able to play in the slot (take D Carter's minutes)... but I think he can play on the outside, some, too. Big looking dude. 

If they're from JMU, Coastal, Old Dominion, I'd have taken Bailey Zappe in college, I'm sure there are South Alabama kids that could help us... and I know App State and Georgia State have kids that would help us.

Bernhard Raimann went to CMU.. he would have helped. 

BYU+Boise were group of 5 until this year. Carson Steele was a group of 5 transfer. 

You're absolutely right that speed kills. We can never have enough. We've got to be able to stretch the field, no doubt.

That said -- and maybe I'm just partial because of past IU players like Hardy, Belcher, Latimer -- I love size. Watching McCulley this year own his area with his physicality was awesome. He could jump and he could get people out of his way.

Ultimately, it comes down to their hands, but being able to use their bodies to position themselves and bully smaller CBs is very important.

Now, given that we have McCulley coming back next year, it might not be as urgent, but I certainly hope we target a good blend of receiver and not just speedsters.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

You're absolutely right that speed kills. We can never have enough. We've got to be able to stretch the field, no doubt.

That said -- and maybe I'm just partial because of past IU players like Hardy, Belcher, Latimer -- I love size. Watching McCulley this year own his area with his physicality was awesome. He could jump and he could get people out of his way.

Ultimately, it comes down to their hands, but being able to use their bodies to position themselves and bully smaller CBs is very important.

Now, given that we have McCulley coming back next year, it might not be as urgent, but I certainly hope we target a good blend of receiver and not just speedsters.

You can stretch the field horizontally as much as you can stretch it vertically, and we need to do more of that. 

We already have the WRs-- Williams, Cooper, and DMC, plus-- Cross. 4 legit WRs-- now you sprinkle the other two additions in and there's the blend. 

Williams+Price will see carries as well. 

Edited by btownqb

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

You can stretch the field horizontally as much as you can stretch it vertically, and we need to do more of that. 

We already have the WRs-- Williams, Cooper, and DMC, plus-- Cross. 4 legit WRs-- now you sprinkle the other two additions in and there's the blend. 

Williams+Price will see carries as well. 

Totally.

It might sound like I'm nitpicking, but I'm just stating preference. I's clear that C3 is balancing his WR room appropriately. It'll be interesting to see how he continues shaping this group in the years to come.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

I like the combination.  Stress the defense by putting different players out there.  Some with size, some with extra speed and some with extra quickness.  A couple of years ago we had some size with Malachi and Swinton and those guys but they just were not dynamic enough and we upgraded.  But if they are all tiny, that can hurt too.  

4 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

Totally.

It might sound like I'm nitpicking, but I'm just stating preference. I's clear that C3 is balancing his WR room appropriately. It'll be interesting to see how he continues shaping this group in the years to come.

It will need to be completely revamped the following year... 

You'll basically only have Cooper with eligibility from that crew. 

2 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I like the combination.  Stress the defense by putting different players out there.  Some with size, some with extra speed and some with extra quickness.  A couple of years ago we had some size with Malachi and Swinton and those guys but they just were not dynamic enough and we upgraded.  But if they are all tiny, that can hurt too.  

That's where scheme and coaching come into play. Well... and execution. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Speaking of Malachi Holt Bennett--- he has 200 yards receiving in 3 years of college football

https://247sports.com/player/malachi-holt-bennett-46054167/.... by god he was a 4 star coming out of HS!! 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When in reality... we should have been recruiting this kid https://247sports.com/Player/Elijah-Sarratt-46145870/ 

who attended St Francis out of HS (FCS) then transferred to JMU.... or we should have been recruiting this kid... https://247sports.com/player/reggie-brown-46038301/.... 2 star 350th ranked WR 

@Steubenhoosier Give me ALLLLLL the group of 5 transfers 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1