IUFB Roster 2024

btownqb

15 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

I was just going over IU’s transfer portal roster. It currently lists 9 players total who originally committed to Coach Cignetti and JMU. Though some on here are reluctant and apprehensive about most of these players because of their lack of  “stars” or even star power. 
I have a couple observations on all of this. 
- That many players and potentially more, believe and trust in Coach Cignetti enough to follow him where ever he goes. That says volumes….

- Coach Cignetti still wanting these specific players to come with him it IU and be a part of this rebuild also speaks volumes as to the type of players he knows and wants to go to battle for him.

I also liked one of many comments he has said about his process so far. I will paraphrase… “We had to re-recruit IU guys to get on the bus with us and we also had to tell some to get off the bus!”

It would be interesting to find out which IU players he told to “get off the bus!” 

I really don't have an opinion on what these JMU players' "worth" is.  The doubts I have are about the new HC turning around the football program.  That really ain't doubting Cigs but more about IU's football history.  If that makes any sense?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, rico said:

I really don't have an opinion on what these JMU players' "worth" is.  The doubts I have are about the new HC turning around the football program.  That really ain't doubting Cigs but more about IU's football history.  If that makes any sense?

I feel the same way. I hope he turns it around, but after 60 years of garbage I want to see results on the field. Results need to happen quickly cause the old boy ain't got too many years left. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Artesian_86 said:

I was just going over IU’s transfer portal roster. It currently lists 9 players total who originally committed to Coach Cignetti and JMU. Though some on here are reluctant and apprehensive about most of these players because of their lack of  “stars” or even star power. 
I have a couple observations on all of this. 
- That many players and potentially more, believe and trust in Coach Cignetti enough to follow him where ever he goes. That says volumes….

- Coach Cignetti still wanting these specific players to come with him it IU and be a part of this rebuild also speaks volumes as to the type of players he knows and wants to go to battle for him.

I also liked one of many comments he has said about his process so far. I will paraphrase… “We had to re-recruit IU guys to get on the bus with us and we also had to tell some to get off the bus!”

It would be interesting to find out which IU players he told to “get off the bus!” 

Most of these JMU players were all-conference too.

Horton (TE) was 1st team. Kamara (DL), Carpenter (DL), and Stephens (OL) were 2nd team. Fisher (LB) was 3rd team. Kidwell (OL) got hurt after week 4, but he was on the preseason Outland watchlist and on the 2nd team last year.

I wouldn’t be surprised if all of the all conference guys started and were productive for us next year. The two RBs and Walker (LB) all had solid stats, and at minimum provide some depth.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Kdug said:

Most of these JMU players were all-conference too.

Horton (TE) was 1st team. Kamara (DL), Carpenter (DL), and Stephens (OL) were 2nd team. Fisher (LB) was 3rd team. Kidwell (OL) got hurt after week 4, but he was on the preseason Outland watchlist and on the 2nd team last year.

I wouldn’t be surprised if all of the all conference guys started and were productive for us next year. The two RBs and Walker (LB) all had solid stats, and at minimum provide some depth.

Great points.  This is the exact reason why I'm confused how people are disappointed in recruiting these guys over from JMU. CCC took the best, most experienced players from his top 25 team. He knows they're ability and character,  and they know HIS system and expectations. 

I don't know how anyone could honestly be opposed to what they will bring to CCC's first team at IU. I for one am very excited to see what he is building,  and guys experienced in his system should expedite the building process. They, along with retaining our best players, and adding transfers, give us a completely different team next season. How can you not be at least a little excited?!

• Like 9

6 hours ago, Reacher said:

Has some center experience and could solve that spot!  The guy has basically been a starter since Day 1.  Reminds me physically of the guard we had from a few years ago who started for the Commanders.  

14 hours ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Great points.  This is the exact reason why I'm confused how people are disappointed in recruiting these guys over from JMU. CCC took the best, most experienced players from his top 25 team. He knows they're ability and character,  and they know HIS system and expectations. 

I don't know how anyone could honestly be opposed to what they will bring to CCC's first team at IU. I for one am very excited to see what he is building,  and guys experienced in his system should expedite the building process. They, along with retaining our best players, and adding transfers, give us a completely different team next season. How can you not be at least a little excited?!

All day. I realize that football is different from basketball. However, the Fairleigh Dickinson team that beat Purdue last year had four veteran players that followed Tobin Anderson from D2 St Thos Aquinas. This included their two 5th year senior starting guards. Not only were they able to hit the ground running, knowing Anderson's system, but they came from a culture of winning at the D2 level. 

The JMU transfers will be key to changing the culture. 

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, btownqb said:

We offered Elijah Sarratt 🙏

https://247sports.com/Player/elijah-sarratt-46145870/

I'm sure everyone will love the Sun Belt talent he is.. 

Utah (they've been decent, I think) offered. 

My only concern is we already have 10 wrs and 8 TEs.   

I would think some will need to depart if we want adequate depth on defense

11 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

My only concern is we already have 10 wrs and 8 TEs.   

I would think some will need to depart if we want adequate depth on defense

I’d be fine if that means someone else leaves. Sarratt finished #11 in the country in receiving yards, and got better as the year went on. I think he’d easily be our #2 WR behind McCulley.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

Just said he isn’t returning now

That’s why players need to be smarter about entering the portal. Coaches don’t have to take you back when you don’t get the offers you thought you’d get 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Reacher said:

Kind of surprised given our lack of depth at safety. Hope that means CC has something lined up

I like Dunnam but sounds like some combination of CCC needing the roster spot and the info he is privy to.  He said he interviewed the prior staff about the roster.   What’s fascinating is that CCC specifically mentioned safety as a spot where he is still looking.  He obviously has something in mind.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 1