IUFB Roster 2024

btownqb

19 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

Seems like bad defenses would create more tackles.   Hopefully old dominion games weren't shootouts 

FPI had ODU ranked 61st on D while SP+ had them ranked 92nd. For reference, FPI had IU ranked 97th on D and SP+ had IU ranked 75th. So ODU was roughly comparable, maybe marginally better than IU was on D last year.

Not sure how that would translate to an individual player basis.

• Like 1

Regarding the two safeties we got from ODU, like to see the productivity.  I liked Dunnam’s ball skills but let’s be honest we had guys who didn’t wrap up.  Our tackling wasn’t good enough.  I bet CCC saw that and went got two safeties who will bring you down.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Great news.  Reinforcement that CCC’s players like playing for him.  That’s double digit guys who want to play for him.  Sarratt had no shortage of options.  

Kansas State, Utah, South Carolina, Cal, Wisconsin, Purdue ... to be exact. 

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if others didn't show interest because they assumed he'd follow Cignetti. 

• Like 2

I'm officially pretty excited now. The WR corps is real.

McCulley, Cross, EJ Williams, and Sarratt is a crazy way to start a WR group. Then throw in the 3 transfers and Omar Cooper... that is excellent. I don't think we see that group all make it to the fall, but that's fine. 

OL- added 3 kids with a lot of experience in the portal, plus brought back two of our own with some starts under them. 

I think we have DB covered. Find some depth at safety (or maybe a WR moves to defense)... LB is probably close to being done, I feel like we have to add some DL. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Common Sense said:

I like this team.  8-9 wins?  We probably have the best coaching staff to get us there. 

We need to stop thinking of Ohio State and Michigan as automatic losses too.  Teams change every year.   

Ehh.. man. Idk. 

When was the last time someone NOT OSU/UM beat OSU/UM? I mean, basically, Penn State can hardly compete with them, which is scary.

I checked-- UM, in the last three seasons, has 3 losses-- Mich St 2 years ago when MSU was Top 10, UGA 2 years ago (one of the best college teams ever assembled), and TCU last year in the Semis. 

OSU- since 2012- has 17 total losses lol--- Top 10 Missouri, Top 10 Oregon, Michigan x3, UGA (CFP), Bama (CFP), @Purdue lol, Top 5 Oklahoma, @Top 10 Iowa, @ Penn State, Clemson (CFP)x2, Top 10 MSUx2, Virginia Tech, Top 10 Clemson (not CFP)

Maybe we can be Purdue from 2016 or whatever it was and pull a once-a-decade upset? Those two programs are just-- the elite of the elite though. 

27 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Ehh.. man. Idk. 

When was the last time someone NOT OSU/UM beat OSU/UM? I mean, basically, Penn State can hardly compete with them, which is scary.

I checked-- UM, in the last three seasons, has 3 losses-- Mich St 2 years ago when MSU was Top 10, UGA 2 years ago (one of the best college teams ever assembled), and TCU last year in the Semis. 

OSU- since 2012- has 17 total losses lol--- Top 10 Missouri, Top 10 Oregon, Michigan x3, UGA (CFP), Bama (CFP), @Purdue lol, Top 5 Oklahoma, @Top 10 Iowa, @ Penn State, Clemson (CFP)x2, Top 10 MSUx2, Virginia Tech, Top 10 Clemson (not CFP)

Maybe we can be Purdue from 2016 or whatever it was and pull a once-a-decade upset? Those two programs are just-- the elite of the elite though. 

All true. They are among a handful of programs who are the gold standard of college football. But beating them starts with believing you can. I wouldn't want to coach a team that went into any game thinking it had already lost.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, cthomas said:

All true. They are among a handful of programs who are the gold standard of college football. But beating them starts with believing you can. I wouldn't want to coach a team that went into any game thinking it had already lost.

Ok I mean, of course, but just... it's like asking Columbus North to beat Center Grove in the sectional. Columbus North could be an excellent football team and they ain't hanging with CG. We'll see. 

I will contest the games against OSU, PSU, UM weren't/aren't really our issue though. Going to OT with a MAC school, getting waxed by Maryland/Rutgers, and playing like complete shit against Purdue, MSU, and ILL when it mattered are all BIG issues compared to those other three games. 

• Like 3

CCC said he likes production over potential.  Man, he’s totally delivering on that.  He has gotten productive players.  And what’s more, he somehow has gotten productive guys into crowded rooms.   That tells us he is finding guys who aren’t afraid of competition and earning it.  That’s another thing he said he wants.  

You might not have electric, high end five stars.   But what hopefully we see—and nothing is ever perfect in a sport with this many moving parts—but I think a roster is coming together where each individual does his job.   Guys on defense who will actually get the ball carrier on the ground instead of bouncing off, backs who make the block in pass pro, a running back who hits the right hole, the receiver who runs the right route and hangs on to the ball, and right down the line.  Guys who don’t drop punts.  Teams like that can be a bitch to beat.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Ok I mean, of course, but just... it's like asking Columbus North to beat Center Grove in the sectional. Columbus North could be an excellent football team and they ain't hanging with CG. We'll see. 

I will contest the games against OSU, PSU, UM weren't/aren't really our issue though. Going to OT with a MAC school, getting waxed by Maryland/Rutgers, and playing like complete shit against Purdue, MSU, and ILL when it mattered are all BIG issues compared to those other three games. 

THIS^^ Getting regularly beat by similar or lesser programs is what cost CTA's job. Same thing will happen to Cig. I just don't see it happening unless he's the biggest bullsh*t artist of all time. He could be, but his track record backs what he's saying. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, btownqb said:

I'm officially pretty excited now. The WR corps is real.

McCulley, Cross, EJ Williams, and Sarratt is a crazy way to start a WR group. Then throw in the 3 transfers and Omar Cooper... that is excellent. I don't think we see that group all make it to the fall, but that's fine. 

OL- added 3 kids with a lot of experience in the portal, plus brought back two of our own with some starts under them. 

I think we have DB covered. Find some depth at safety (or maybe a WR moves to defense)... LB is probably close to being done, I feel like we have to add some DL. 

Sarratt was the #1 guy I was hoping for from JMU.

This is the best IU receiving room I can remember. Good top end talent and deep.

• Like 2