Morehead State Post Game Thread

KDB

8 minutes ago, NWOHoosier said:

Anyone have any idea what was up with Reneau after the game?  Seemed very upset and had to guided off the court by Sparks. Didn’t seem to have anything to do with a Morehead player. Kept looking toward the stands. 

Probably some loud mouth "fan" who never played at a level close to where Reneau is, giving him $&#@ because he can't talk smack to his Purdue-fan coworkers tomorrow.

9 minutes ago, MSHoosier said:

Totally agree. And this wasn't the only time coming down the stretch. When Banks was in he grabbed an offensive rebound trapped under the under the basket and still tried to force it up rather than dribble out and reset. I have been observing this same thing going on all season, and my conclusion is that CMW is coaching them to go up no matter what and avoid passing or resetting after an offensive rebound. Only explanation.

Mgbako did the same thing in the second half and scored. Must be a coached thing*.

*Which may mean that CMW also doesn't have full trust in his shooters on the perimeter. Better chances of scoring down low or drawing a foul, I guess.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

Mgbako did the same thing in the second half and scored. Must be a coached thing*.

*Which may mean that CMW also doesn't have full trust in his shooters on the perimeter. Better chances of scoring down low or drawing a foul, I guess.

I’m not opposed to guys getting rebounds and going back up strong if it’s there. Just wish we had guys smart enough to know when it’s a good shot and when it’s not. Up 1 with .27 secs left and .20 secs on the shot clock isn’t one of those times to go right back up, especially when you have three guys on you (like MR did at the end). 

• Like 2

Relying heavily on two freshmen and two sophomores is creating problems for IU. The lack of maturity and composure stands out. They have to play through it and learn how to be ready for every game.

The reality is the game is much more difficult when you can only hit a few three pointers per game and back that up by missing 12 free throws. 

If this game was on the road they lose by double digits.

What frustrates me is they ended up so thin at guard one injury has put the season in jeopardy. Playing your starters 30+ minutes and then asking them to do it again threedays later is  probably not going to turn out well long term.

Edited by Euroclydon
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Euroclydon said:

Relying heavily on two freshmen and two sophomores is creating problems for IU. The lack of maturity and composure stands out. They have to play through it and learn how to be ready for every game.

The reality is the game is much more difficult when you can only hit a few three pointers per game and back that up by missing 12 free throws. 

If this game was on the road they lose by double digits.

What frustrates me is they ended up so thin at guard one injury has put the season in jeopardy. Playing your starters 30+ minutes and then asking them to do it again two days later is  probably not going to turn out well long term.

Agree with all of this. But, I think the freshmen are growing into their roles. MM is much better than he was a and I thinks Cupps is getting better as well. It's a lot to ask this early in the season. They've taken quite a bit of criticism but I'm proud of them.

• Like 2

When searching for a positive from tonight, I think it gives us a great and immediate  (Thursday) chance to see if this team is willing or able to grow from a game like this. They should get a clear look at what it looks like when energy is lacking and they just flat don’t play consistently hard. Usually a Christmas break game with North Alabama would be a snoozer but we’ll know a lot more about this team’s chances to reach any of their goals by the end of Thursday. 

1 hour ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I’m not opposed to guys getting rebounds and going back up strong if it’s there. Just wish we had guys smart enough to know when it’s a good shot and when it’s not. Up 1 with .27 secs left and .20 secs on the shot clock isn’t one of those times to go right back up, especially when you have three guys on you (like MR did at the end). 

And I’ll add, get bailed out and miss both free throws.

• Like 1

I believe all of this came with just one of Ware/Reneau in the game.

Shooting aside, the space and pace is much better without them both. This is similar stuff that XJ was running on his hot streak at the end of the ‘22 season.

I really hope the coaches look at this and play more this way moving forward. Not saying we should never have the two bigs in together, but lots of three guard lineups and lineups with Walker at the four with just one of the two bigs need to happen. 

• Like 5