Morehead State Post Game Thread

KDB

Just now, IUFLA said:

This is senior leadership...Walker has the right mindset, and I think will be a solid piece for us the rest of the year...

I'm not saying we shouldn't ever play MR and KW together, but I firmly believe our best lineup right now is Gabe, Trey, MM, AW, and KW. That is a good defensive lineup, good rebounding lineup, and honestly a lineup that takes pretty good care of the ball.

When X gets back I think you can have a serious discussion about if the best lineup is three guards, MM, KW... but he isn't back and the space and pace we get with this lineup makes things work so much better. 

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

This is senior leadership...Walker has the right mindset, and I think will be a solid piece for us the rest of the year...

I remember when he announced for IU most were like what?? Staff knows the importance of having vets with so many new faces. Walker is quickly rising up the more minutes please.

Edit-I don't know if people look at this stuff during game but when Morehead St went up 15 they were a 97% probability of winning.

Edited by Seeking6
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

About the game--

We won. No style points earned. Don't care about metrics now. Most impressive aspect of the game was holding Morehead St. to 4 points over the last 8:47 minutes. 

About this thread--

I feel like I am in Bizarro World.

- After multiple games where this board has complained about not getting calls, we now have folks complaining that we got the benefit of the refs' whistles.

- @IU Scott is admitting he's human

- @Indykev is one of the more positive posters in the thread

I didn't see anyone complaining that we finally got favorable calls. I just think it was recognized that in spite of playing so poorly, IU was able to come back and win because the calls were so one sided. When was the last time IU was favored with foul calls 12-26? Part of that was MS taking 34 threes. But still, it was nice to finally have home cooking. Wouldn't count on it going forward, though. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Edit-I don't know if people look at this stuff during game but when Morehead St went up 15 they were a 97% probability of winning.

That's bigger than we had against Kansas even. Biggest that ever got I believe was an 89% chance of winning.

Two pretty epic comebacks/collapses in the Hall the past two games.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

as i continue to work through the game thread, i am confused.  Scott - i know you clarified it must be in game if you are going to be anything other than positive, but are you sure you are allowed to say such drastic and over the top things?  questioning the coach and saying you can't support him?  please respond and let me know that now that they game is over, you are back to being positive.  i even saw the king of sunshine complaining.  so next question - does this mean those of us who were already questioning and criticizing are okay to be fans now?  we may have been a little ahead of our time? gonna keep reading then start this thread...

Let me clarify I didn't mean I won't support him but just couldn't justify his style any longer

Edited by IU Scott
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

About the game--

We won. No style points earned. Don't care about metrics now. Most impressive aspect of the game was holding Morehead St. to 4 points over the last 8:47 minutes. 

About this thread--

I feel like I am in Bizarro World.

- After multiple games where this board has complained about not getting calls, we now have folks complaining that we got the benefit of the refs' whistles.

- @IU Scott is admitting he's human

- @Indykev is one of the more positive posters in the thread

Hard to complain when thinking about Morehead..:coffee:

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

One other thing on Walker...He said this...

“Just knowing that Woody trusts me down the stretch in specific games and just knowing that I always have to be ready.”

He knows he's not going to be called on every time...But when he is, he'll be ready...

There are a couple of guys on our bench that need to learn that lesson...

• Like 6

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

I'm not saying we shouldn't ever play MR and KW together, but I firmly believe our best lineup right now is Gabe, Trey, MM, AW, and KW. That is a good defensive lineup, good rebounding lineup, and honestly a lineup that takes pretty good care of the ball.

When X gets back I think you can have a serious discussion about if the best lineup is three guards, MM, KW... but he isn't back and the space and pace we get with this lineup makes things work so much better. 

....I mean, Walker deserves more minutes, plain and simple. Based performance last night was a testimony of what he can do and I think "willing" to do if he's given more opportunities. Any player sitting on the bench for extended minutes game after game has to be evaluating what he can do to help this team. I think Walker has really stepped up and put that evaluation to fruition. Now we need more of this from others.....JMO

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

I'll say it; we shouldn't ever play MR and KW together.  They are our two best players and both worthy of being starters, but we are much better defensively and offensively when only one is on the floor.

Sub them in for each other and give them the same number of minutes.  MR really plays like a center; having two centers in together creates floor spacing issues on offense.

• Like 1

i don't know why i am trying to pick fights today, but does it bother any of the other old guys that a player would call Mike Woodson "Woody?"  i know i'm old fashioned, but i still feel like it should be "Coach Woodson."  i feel like his close friends should call him "Woody."  if i met him, there is no way i would call him that unless he told me to and even then it would be tough.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i don't know why i am trying to pick fights today, but does it bother any of the other old guys that a player would call Mike Woodson "Woody?"  i know i'm old fashioned, but i still feel like it should be "Coach Woodson."  i feel like his close friends should call him "Woody."  if i met him, there is no way i would call him that unless he told me to and even then it would be tough.  

No

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

I talk to Coach Woodson all the time when I'm yelling at my television. I call him Mike. It doesn't seem to bother him.

• Haha 7

Just now, SawatchHoosier said:

I talk to Coach Woodson all the time when I'm yelling at my television. I call him Mike. It doesn't seem to bother him.

Judging from the game thread, I think others get much more creative in what they call him through TV :) 

And that doesn't bother him either ;) 

• Haha 2

For the first time in a long time I turned off the game at halftime. I actually followed this thread to see what was happening in the game. Seems like we need X back in a hurry…and I’m going to say this, I think our team is soft both mentally and physically. With our mental fit, yesterday’s game was rather predictable….we weren’t focused, lacked energy and didn’t seem to care. Not all the time, but part of missing free throws is a product of not focusing. 

This team is who they are. We are only fooling ourselves if we think someone like Banks or Gunn are going to all of a sudden flip a switch and become serviceable players.

Only Indiana wins and still manages to drop in metric rankings. The only positive that comes out of a game like that is we didn’t lose. 

Onto the next game. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

I'll say it; we shouldn't ever play MR and KW together.  They are our two best players and both worthy of being starters, but we are much better defensively and offensively when only one is on the floor.

Sub them in for each other and give them the same number of minutes.  MR really plays like a center; having two centers in together creates floor spacing issues on offense.

I don't think I agree that they're our two best players and I know I don't agree that they shouldn't ever play together. If for nothing else, I want KW getting ~35 minutes per game and you need more than 5 from Malik. But I thin other than the staring 5 starting each half, I'd like to see us predominantly play a smaller lineup - be that three guards and those two together (which was probably our best lineup early in the year) or two guards, MM, AW, and KW/MR. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

One other thing on Walker...He said this...

“Just knowing that Woody trusts me down the stretch in specific games and just knowing that I always have to be ready.”

He knows he's not going to be called on every time...But when he is, he'll be ready...

There are a couple of guys on our bench that need to learn that lesson...

I'm sure every player on the bench wants to play more.  But, what evidence do you have that some players have an issue about playing time to support your last sentence?

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

I'm sure every player on the bench wants to play more.  But, what evidence do you have that some players have an issue about playing time to support your last sentence?

It's not a comment on more playing time...It's about being ready when they call your number, and understanding that circumstances dictate who Woody is going to call on in a certain game...

You've seen the last couple of games...You think Banks was ready to play? Gunn? 

I watched on my phone, so I couldn't exactly tell how much contact there was on a given play, especially around the arms and hands, but the foul discrepancy seems entirely justified. We spent the day shooting in the paint and they shot jumpers. If anything, I feel like they were letting our big men get hammered in the paint - all the calls came on drives.

We also held them to below 30% from 3. With a couple of exceptions, I think we guarded their outside shots decently. Wish we could have forced more turnovers, hit our damn free throws and hit a couple more 3s. If we hit 70% from the line and 30% from 3, we win by 11.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

58 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

It's not a comment on more playing time...It's about being ready when they call your number, and understanding that circumstances dictate who Woody is going to call on in a certain game...

You've seen the last couple of games...You think Banks was ready to play? Gunn? 

A couple of other thoughts that occured to me while I was mucking stalls (I always think better when mucking 😉

I posted this in another thread, but I think it's salient here...

Watching Oakland-MSU the other night, and Dane Fife, who was doing the analysis said, 3 things young players have to do to get playing time is defend, rebound, and take care of the ball... Scoring should take a back seat to all of those things...

The second thing is, some people were salty that Anthony Walker didn't see much time in the 2nd half versus Kansas... But he sure didn't let it affect his attitude... 

If "Woody" or "coach Woody" was bothered by players calling him that, you think he would hold it in and not tell them? (hint: Not a chance in hell).

I remember the clip where players imitated Woody's behavior and mannerisms. Woody loved it. Confirms there is a real connection between the players and coach.

And yes, I can call him Woody, because he's several years younger than me. He's just a pup to me. To you Millenials and Gen Z'ers, he's an old man. But to some of us he's well into the "sweet spot" in life.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, IUalum said:

Well, we all know what Coach Knight would say if a player or a student called him "Bobby". And before anyone gets concerned, I loved Coach Knight.  Different era.  

I was at Football Camp at IU when i was a SR in high school and we were walking to the football field when one of the kids called Coach Knight "Bob or Bobby".  Coach Knight exploded on this kids and got in his ass for calling him that. 

• Like 2