Morehead State Post Game Thread

KDB

Well, at least we got the win and avoided completely blowing our tournament chances. 

That was not good. 

Good to see IU not give up. Excellent performance by Walker. As poor as we played, I think Woodson deserves some credit for sticking with Walker at the 4 and platooning Ware/Reneau at the 5. 

Going with a smaller, more athletic lineup directly impacted the improved defense down the stretch. 

Didn't love that one 3 from Galloway late, but had absolutely zero issues with the one Mgbako took. 

Some big rebounds and strong D late from Cupps. But, is he this bad of a shooter?

• Like 2

Watched the Andranga clip, and our setting of screens and use of the screens stinks. Many times the ball handler moves before screen is fully set, giving defense plenty of room to fight over it (without much fight). (it also increases the potential for a "moving screen" offensive foul.

And rarely does the screener actually get up into the defensive player, and our ball handler doesn't "rub" off the defender by moving closer to the screener.

No wonder we have trouble getting good looks.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I believe all of this came with just one of Ware/Reneau in the game.

Shooting aside, the space and pace is much better without them both. This is similar stuff that XJ was running on his hot streak at the end of the ‘22 season.

I really hope the coaches look at this and play more this way moving forward. Not saying we should never have the two bigs in together, but lots of three guard lineups and lineups with Walker at the four with just one of the two bigs need to happen. 

Totally agree.

haven't read the game thread or this one yet.  only saw a little of the game.  looking at the stats, i applaud the subbing.  7 man rotation with 8 and 9 getting a little time.  for the folks calling for home cookin from the refs, i know at one point the foul count was 9-1 in our favor and we were still down 4 at home to Morehead St.  at least it was a "bad win" instead of a "bad loss."    

• Like 1

i do appreciate Scott clarifying the rules about complaining, being negative, being critical, whatever.  i didn't realize we were allowed to do so in the moment, but not after the game.  i think that's a fan rule i had previously missed.  thanks Scott!  just remember to not let it impact your life.  stay positive.  sunshine and rainbows!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

as i continue to work through the game thread, i am confused.  Scott - i know you clarified it must be in game if you are going to be anything other than positive, but are you sure you are allowed to say such drastic and over the top things?  questioning the coach and saying you can't support him?  please respond and let me know that now that they game is over, you are back to being positive.  i even saw the king of sunshine complaining.  so next question - does this mean those of us who were already questioning and criticizing are okay to be fans now?  we may have been a little ahead of our time? gonna keep reading then start this thread...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Last night I couldn't shake the feeling I was watching Archieball all over again.

• An offense reliant on individual players going to the rim, or getting the ball inside.
  • Can't shoot, from deep or at the line, but also there's no emphasis on shooting in the program, to the point it seems guys are actively discouraged from taking even open shots.
  • Can't contend on defense with athletic guards/wings.
  • Constantly allowing wide open threes due to overhelping.
  • And worst of all body language is terrible. No one plays connected and everything seems like a chore. For fans watching, too.

Categorically speaking, is Woodson doing all that much different than his predecessor? The Archieball experience was miserable as a fan. I don't want to go through that again, but this season feels all too familiar.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Another thing I found out tonight is that I am such a hypocrite 

in all seriousness Scott, admitting that is pretty cool.  i think all most of us want to see is just you understanding that we are IU fans whether we are praising the team or complaining about it.  maybe don't come at everyone so strong all the time when you think they are being too negative.  that's all.  i honestly have started agreeing with you more the older i get and the more i see others on this board.  hopefully we look better tomorrow night!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Maedhros said:

Last night I couldn't shake the feeling I was watching Archieball all over again.

• An offense reliant on individual players going to the rim, or getting the ball inside.
  • Can't shoot, from deep or at the line, but also there's no emphasis on shooting in the program, to the point it seems guys are actively discouraged from taking even open shots.
  • Can't contend on defense with athletic guards/wings.
  • Constantly allowing wide open threes due to overhelping.
  • And worst of all body language is terrible. No one plays connected and everything seems like a chore. For fans watching, too.

Categorically speaking, is Woodson doing all that much different than his predecessor? The Archieball experience was miserable as a fan. I don't want to go through that again, but this season feels all too familiar.

He has been a bit better than Miller (2 NCAA appearances in 2 tries as opposed to going 0 for 5) but they both have systems that appear a bit outdated for modern basketball and teams with a tendency to not play up to the sum of their parts on a consistent basis.  They also both have/had recruiting issues where the loss of a player at a key spot really leaves them behind the 8 ball because of lack of quality depth and/or development.

Woodson has been bringing in better players overall and I think that has been the major difference.  Miller's main issue was failure to land players.  Woodson is landing players but he hasn't done a good job of constructing a winning team (IMO).

I think the most maddening part of this year is that we have an open scholarship and even me, as someone who hasn't coached and doesn't have the pedigree of our staff and blah, blah, blah could see that we needed another shooting guard.  Failure to land another combo guard or shooting guard that could get his own shot up is a big miss, particularly with 2 of our recruited guards sitting out all year or a major portion of the year.  That was a big miss by the staff.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, BGleas said:

Well, at least we got the win and avoided completely blowing our tournament chances. 

That was not good. 

Good to see IU not give up. Excellent performance by Walker. As poor as we played, I think Woodson deserves some credit for sticking with Walker at the 4 and platooning Ware/Reneau at the 5. 

Going with a smaller, more athletic lineup directly impacted the improved defense down the stretch. 

Didn't love that one 3 from Galloway late, but had absolutely zero issues with the one Mgbako took. 

Some big rebounds and strong D late from Cupps. But, is he this bad of a shooter?

No, he’s just a freshman feeling the pressure of big time basketball. He’ll be fine, but we need XJ back for the B10 season.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Another thing I found out tonight is that I am such a hypocrite 

Enh, getting emotional during the games is part of what makes people fanatics.  To your in the heat of the moment point, no, we don't need to fire Woodson.  What we probably need to come to grips with is that he is hopefully just a bridge. We are doing some things as a school that appears to be having us modernize the program.  Woodson is helping that process off the court (if not completely on it).

This program was an absolute dumpster fire when he took over.  We have been more bad then good for over 20 years now.  We need Woodson to get and keep us at a point where we are mostly a tournament team.  He needs to make the program look like a good buy for the next guy in 3 to 5 years.  We have now done the "Bob Knight Guy" hire.  Dolson has proved me a bit wrong in how he has handled some stuff with both basketball and football.  I think we just need to position ourselves to show that A)We have the resources and B)we have the institutional support to make a coach a winner here.

I am hoping we can squeak into the tournament this year (going to be an uphill climb IMO) and then we see the staff actually go out and retool the team like they said they were going to do this year.  Get a few deeper runs in the NCAA towards the end of the Woodson tenure and then have him hand over a better program to the next guy than he was left.  The next hire is more likely to be the "guy" if we can do that.

• Like 3

Yikes.

The room for error is so small and this team keeps on screwing around. The same problems persist: bad rebounding, lack of focus, lack of energy, lack of shooting and a lack of coaching. History says we can turn it around, but I’m concerned it can’t be turned around quick enough before we shoot ourselves in the foot and play ourselves out of the tournament. 

If Moorehead State is going to out-execute us by packing the paint, we are in for a rude awakening in B1G play. 

…which leads me to my next point. The use of Malik is beginning to drive me crazy. He’ll make a handful of good plays, but it overshadows his liabilities. His ill-advised 3’s early in the shot clock in the Kansas game provided that momentum swing that ultimately lost us the game. He’s stepping into smaller shooters and committing bad fouls. The offense stalls every time he touches the ball - he can draw triple teams but rarely passes out of them and when he does pass out of them it’s too late to make a good pass because his passing lanes are obstructed. Unfortunately right now, I think our best line-ups do not include him on the floor - offensively and defensively - and I think his presence/positioning takes away from Ware’s effectiveness. I don’t think this is all on Malik, it’s clearly a roster construction issue that was predictable in June, and one that we will be stuck with until we can give him meaningful minutes at the 5, where he can play along side a more athletic, perimter oriented 4 (you know, a guy like Mgbako). 🤦‍♂️ 

Sorry, had to get that off my chest. I love the players individually (even Malik), but I don’t like them as a unit. We’re too unbalanced and undisciplined, which makes for some frustrating basketball viewing. But I’ll keep on watching because I’m a glutton for punishment. 

….until my next edition of ‘talk me off the ledge.’

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

About the game--

We won. No style points earned. Don't care about metrics now. Most impressive aspect of the game was holding Morehead St. to 4 points over the last 8:47 minutes. 

About this thread--

I feel like I am in Bizarro World.

- After multiple games where this board has complained about not getting calls, we now have folks complaining that we got the benefit of the refs' whistles.

- @IU Scott is admitting he's human

- @Indykev is one of the more positive posters in the thread

• Like 4
  • Haha 3