Rutgers Pre-Game Thread

IUFLA

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

According to their "insiders" their backcourt has an issue with bigger guards... Simpson (who I think will draw Trey) is 6'3 and Fernandes (XJ) is 5'11...

Also think they'll use Omoruyi on Malik and Mag on Ware which is a mismatch deluxe...

Looking for XJ, Trey, and Walker, as seniors, to create energy... 

Yeah, matchups will be interesting tonight. It's seems like a trend lately for teams to put their center on Reneau. 

I understand analytics and metrics are a hot-button issue right now, but to your point about Anthony Walker, I was looking at some numbers. Below are where he ranks on the team in some key metrics:

ORtg: 3rd

DRtg: 5th

PER: 3rd

He's having a really impactful season. 

• Like 5

I know Rutgers has a bad offensive team, but I still think how we defend them is going to decide if we have a shot to win. The Army game showed that if you let bad teams get comfortable they can score. And considering how good Rutgers is on defense and they’re at home, I think it’ll be tough for IU to have a high scoring game in this one.

I haven’t watched Rutgers this year, but I’m assuming they’re going to be physical on defense. That worries me with Ware since it seems like physicality has been what causes him to struggle.

This is the type of matchup we need to win if we want to make the tourney. Road games are always tough, but this isn’t a good Rutgers team.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Yeah, matchups will be interesting tonight. It's seems like a trend lately for teams to put their center on Reneau. 

Ohio State started out putting Okpara on Malik, but then switched to Mahaffey for some reason, which was a huge mismatch...

8 minutes ago, Kdug said:

I haven’t watched Rutgers this year, but I’m assuming they’re going to be physical on defense

Yes, very...

• Like 1

22 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I think with Rutgers having 3 small, quick guards they rotate, that Gabe will get some run here...

I also think Walker and Gunn will get some time on Mag and Hyatt...Not sure Mac is a good fit for either one...

You know I trust you.  You have as good of a feel as anyone on how teams matchup because you understand other teams’ personnel.  What you say makes sense.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I could be wrong.  But I felt like Woody really felt like he needed Malik to go to work in the post in our half court offense.  He beyond emphasized it and wanted it.  I think that’s why Ware was out.  He wanted to give Malik room to function.  And he swept from wide toward the basket and he just used a lot of space to get himself into position.  I think more than anything that’s why Ware was out.   

Yes we got pounded on the boards and I don’t excuse that.  But if Ware plays more, that gap narrows.  I think it’s how Woody felt he could win the game.  

• Like 2

Cautiously optimistic about tonight. On paper it might not be a huge win, I do think it would be an important win in building the tournament resume. It’s one of those games I think we need to win because I think a loss hurts the resume here more than a win helps it.  

Edited by Parakeet Jones
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I could be wrong.  But I felt like Woody really felt like he needed Malik to go to work in the post in our half court offense.  He beyond emphasized it and wanted it.  I think that’s why Ware was out.  He wanted to give Malik room to function.  And he swept from wide toward the basket and he just used a lot of space to get himself into position.  I think more than anything that’s why Ware was out.   

Yes we got pounded on the boards and I don’t excuse that.  But if Ware plays more, that gap narrows.  I think it’s how Woody felt he could win the game.  

100%! The staff did a lot with lineups and sets to create space for Malik and our guards in the 2nd half of the OSU game. While we went through Reneau a lot, it wasn't the old 'two bigs in the paint with everyone standing around" sets that IU has relied on earlier in the season. 

Here's one example:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Cautiously optimistic about tonight. On paper it might not be a huge win, I do think it would be an important win in building the tournament resume. It’s one of those games I think we need to win because I think a loss hurts the resume here more than a win helps it.  

Agree. It's a game that neither team can really afford to lose, but a win doesn't move the needle much. Rutgers is currently 94 in the NET, IU is 98. 

For IU, it would be a Quad 2 win or loss, for Rutgers a Quad 3

Rutgers has a very strange schedule. They've played 7 Quad 1 (1-6) and 7 Quad 4. No Quad 2 or 3. 

Edited by 13th&Jackson

6 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Agree. It's a game that neither team can really afford to lose, but a win doesn't move the needle much. Rutgers is currently 94 in the NET, IU is 98. 

For IU, it would be a Quad 2 win or loss, for Rutgers a Quad 3

Rutgers has a very strange schedule. They've played 7 Quad 1 (1-6) and 7 Quad 4. No Quad 2 or 3. 

I actually think a win here would love the needle some for IU, if it held as a Quad 2 road win. 

If IU is going to find a way into the Tournament it's probably going to be because of 2 things, 1) no Quad 3 or 4 losses and 2) a solid Quad 1+2 record. 

I don't see us racking up a ton of Quad 1 wins, so we really need to stack Quad 2 wins. 

This specific one might not shoot IU up the NET rankings immediately, but stacking Quad 2 wins over time will get us there. 

• Like 4

I'm sure someone has brought this up before but was having breakfast this morning with my client and he's like us. Loves IU and he was diving into his desire of wanting us to use Spain Pick and Roll more with Malik. Anyone who understands that more than I give me the 10 second tutorial on what it does (besides the double screen) to help free up Malik? Or is that just it? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm sure someone has brought this up before but was having breakfast this morning with my client and he's like us. Loves IU and he was diving into his desire of wanting us to use Spain Pick and Roll more with Malik. Anyone who understands that more than I give me the 10 second tutorial on what it does (besides the double screen) to help free up Malik? Or is that just it? 

Here's a clip of IU running this on Saturday. It's a version of "screen the screener" and IU got Malik matched up on a guard. 

I'm not sure we really executed it great in this clip, but you can see the action. Looks like IU's spacing was a bit off in this instance, but Reneau made it work. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Here's a clip of IU running this on Saturday. It's a version of "screen the screener" and IU got Malik matched up on a guard. 

I'm not sure we really executed it great in this clip, but you can see the action. Looks like IU's spacing was a bit off in this instance, but Reneau made it work. 

Tony is the best.  Appreciate his work a lot. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Probably been asked before, but if you cant watch live, does Peacock have an 'On Demand' feature, and if so, how soon after the game is it usually available?

Yessir...

Screenshot_20240109-132318.thumb.png.3024441385a16100a86b63157cc41b2b.png

I think I was able to get to the Michigan game the next day... 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Thanks 1