Rutgers Pre-Game Thread

IUFLA

• IUFLA changed the title to Rutgers Pre-Game Thread

Great opportunity to grab a win on the road which we are going to have to do multiple times. That’s been a tough place for us over the years and I expect it will be Tuesday as well.  A win here would be big for us and that is certainly something we can do. 

I really hope Gunn builds on what he did last night. He had a good game at Michigan and then kind of disappeared until last night. We need some consistency out of him because I like what the CJ we got last night brings. Consistency starts with putting two games together in a row. Hopefully that starts Tuesday. 

• Like 3

This game could be a huge one for IU move forward. Last year, around this point of our BIGTEN schedule, we lost 3 games in a row…..

1/5/23 - @ Iowa 89-91

1/8/23 - Northwestern 83-84

1/11/23 - @ Penn St. 66-85

Not only were the fans questioning IU’s toughness, but TJD was getting called out too. Trayce had enough.

I know we don’t have the same players, but we went on to finish the regular BIGTEN, 11-4. 

We are in a very similar situation right now. We’ve been lacking team toughness as well as a “rudder”.  For starter, XJ’s play was the much needed missing “rudder” that we desperately needed last night. In addition we’ve got to have a much stronger and tougher Ware at the post down the stretch. If we can get consistent production from Gunn’s defense and shooting it will be a welcome addition to our lacking guard play. I know he’s only a freshman, but MM is a big key to our success down the stretch.

Go IU!

• Like 2

Beating Ohio State improved our NET from 111 to 98.  I believe that Rutgers would be another Q2 win.  So we would probably get ourselves into the 80's with another win.  Our goal has to be winning the winnable road games (and this should be one) while also stealing wins against better teams at home.

If we win the next two, I think how we perform in that following 4 game stretch is going to make or break the season. Purdue, @Wisconsin, @Illinois, and Iowa.  That is 3 top 20 NET teams and another in the 60's.  We need to play well in the two away games and win the two at home and we will have given ourselves a chance.

That all starts Tuesday.  It is a must win for post season chances IMO.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Beating Ohio State improved our NET from 111 to 98.  I believe that Rutgers would be another Q2 win.  So we would probably get ourselves into the 80's with another win.  Our goal has to be winning the winnable road games (and this should be one) while also stealing wins against better teams at home.

If we win the next two, I think how we perform in that following 4 game stretch is going to make or break the season. Purdue, @Wisconsin, @Illinois, and Iowa.  That is 3 top 20 NET teams and another in the 60's.  We need to play well in the two away games and win the two at home and we will have given ourselves a chance.

That all starts Tuesday.  It is a must win for post season chances IMO.

I don’t think the team thinks that it’s a must win unfortunately. 

44 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I don’t think the team thinks that it’s a must win unfortunately. 

To be fair, it's not a must win. That term is a bit overused.

A one and done playoff game is a must win.

If one more loss mathematically eliminates you, that's a must win.

If we lose to Rutgers but then beat Purdue, Illinois and Wisconsin (granted very unlikely) then we are in great shape.

Yes, I am being pedantic here. I know. It just seems every game from game 1, somebody is calling a must win.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

If we lose to Rutgers but then beat Purdue, Illinois and Wisconsin (granted very unlikely) then we are in great shape.

Yes, I am being pedantic here. I know. It just seems every game from game 1, somebody is calling a must win.

love the use of pedantic

• Haha 4

54 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Yeah, I mean understand the term 😂, but given performances, metrics, likelihood of quality wins, we REALLY need this one. We can keep kicking the bucket down the road and saying, “well we can upset such and such, or maybe we can win out, or maybe we can win the Big10 tournament” but I think we all know that’s a long shot. Need to win games like this. 

• Like 7

16 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Yeah, I mean understand the term 😂, but given performances, metrics, likelihood of quality wins, we REALLY need this one. We can keep kicking the bucket down the road and saying, “well we can upset such and such, or maybe we can win out, or maybe we can win the Big10 tournament” but I think we all know that’s a long shot. Need to win games like this. 

Oh, I 100% agree with your sentiment. 

1 hour ago, bluegrassIU said:

To me every game is a must win. The team only needs to worry about the next game which is the most important game. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Yes, we're 3-4 against Rutgers in their building...This was before we beat them at our place on Feb 7th of last year

image.thumb.png.a40b49398ec878871906f6c31d60151b.png

I guess the 2-8 record in the last 10 matchups is coloring my recollection...

• Like 1