Wisconsin post game thread

Just now, KoB2011 said:

Gunn’s elbow came all the way up above Gunn’s own shoulder. He didn’t elbow at chest height, he targeted his head. 

See above, I don't want to go around and around on it.  I just disagree on the severity of the punishment given what was going on.

26 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

Exactly. Can we stop pretending Gunn “elbowed him in the face”? Sure it was a dumb move on his part, only because it wasn’t going to cause harm to the other guy and with replay, he was going to get caught.
That said, he couldn’t have been more gentle if he tried. The reaction by Wisconsin was pathetic and soft. Gard is the parent no one wants their kids to play with because he raises nothing but whiny b*tches who act like aholes and cry home to mommy and daddy because their fragile sensibilities were hurt.
The refs had every opportunity to review, ascertain that it was in fact provoked, that no actual pain/harm was inflicted, and move on. The X criticism is well warranted  

The reaction from Gunn tells all. 1. He needs to grow up and quit thinking he’s the victim. The goes for x as well. Nobody is trying to hold them down or back. Become your own man. 2. Wisky was just taking advantage by exploiting a young man’s mental weakness.3. As a team we are mentally weak! 4. As a player why would you be afraid or not want to go to someone’s gym and not live beating the hell out of them and bringing down the boo birds? Absolute best feeling I ever had as a player. These players want to crawl in hole? 

Just now, KoB2011 said:

My last words on it.  I disagree.  I have seen the play several times and I don't agree with the ejection.  We aren't going to change each other's minds.  Which is fine.  You feel you are right and I can live with tthat.  I just disagree.

We get another chance at these guys in Bloomington.  I hope Gunn is ready to talk with his play on the return trip.

• Like 3

Just now, jojo123 said:

The reaction from Gunn tells all. 1. He needs to grow up and quit thinking he’s the victim. The goes for x as well. Nobody is trying to hold them down or back. Become your own man. 2. Wisky was just taking advantage by exploiting a young man’s mental weakness.3. As a team we are mentally weak! 4. As a player why would you be afraid or not want to go to someone’s gym and not live beating the hell out of them and bringing down the boo birds? Absolute best feeling I ever had as a player. These players want to crawl in hole? 

I don't think these guys want to lose.  I think they have been set up to lose because their coaching staff isn't doing their job.  At a certain point they know the definition of insanity too.  Bates left our program and suddenly became a better player.  The system holds them back and that has to get frustrating.

Heck, the reaction from Gunn is at least some emotion.  I would have lost my sh** about the state of things awhile ago.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I don't think these guys want to lose.  I think they have been set up to lose because their coaching staff isn't doing their job.  At a certain point they know the definition of insanity too.  Bates left our program and suddenly became a better player.  The system holds them back and that has to get frustrating.

Heck, the reaction from Gunn is at least some emotion.  I would have lost my sh** about the state of things awhile ago.

There is definitely a system in play here that needs to be destroyed! Who’s running the system? Don’t tell me the fans are the reason we can’t get a great coach. The fans at Duke, Kentucky, Kansas are no different. 

25 minutes ago, southsidehoosier said:

One of the assistants (former Wisky player) was high fiving Klingsmith after that occurred. They baited CJ by just being annoying with the forehead shtick and it worked.

Sure, but what’s your point? It isn’t illegal to bait someone. 

2 hours ago, jefftheref said:

I didn't watch it. It was over before it started and as I have said many times I am sick and tired of garbage basketball and coaching.

We are the cellar dwellers of the league and have regressed to where Northwestern and Wisconsin were 30 years ago.

Nah. IU has some nice pieces. Bring back Reneau and Mgbako, with McNeeley, and then go fill out the rest of the roster in the portal.

If you need to send some kids packing, well it’s nothing personal, just business. 

I don’t think Woody knows how to assemble a roster, and why would he ? NBA coaches don’t do that. He needs a GM. 

Just my unsolicited two cents.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Boiler Sam said:

Nah. IU has some nice pieces. Bring back Reneau and Mgbako, with McNeeley, and then go fill out the rest of the roster in the portal.

If you need to send some kids packing, well it’s nothing personal, just business. 

I don’t think Woody knows how to assemble a roster, and why would he ? NBA coaches don’t do that. He needs a GM. 

Watching Indiana is like going to a funeral. There is zero excitement and enthusiasm. We need a coach that can not only build a roster, develop talent, instill discipline within the program and create excitement and energy. I never thought I would say this but a guy like Bruce Pearl would do that. It doesn't have to be Pearl but someone with that personality. Woodson and Dolson are like brothers from a different mother. Boring as hell with a personality of a cardboard box. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

Watching Indiana is like going to a funeral. There is zero excitement and enthusiasm. We need a coach that can not only build a roster, develop talent, instill discipline within the program and create excitement and energy. I never thought I would say this but a guy like Bruce Pearl would do that. It doesn't have to be Pearl but someone with that personality. Woodson and Dolson are like brothers from a different mother. Boring as hell with a personality of a cardboard box. 

Maybe, but I mostly think it’s a poorly constructed roster. I don’t know that the 3 five stars fit with each other, let alone the rest of the rotation. 

With NIL/Portal I don’t know that you need a dynamic recruiter as much as you need someone who knows how to build a cohesive basketball team. 

And player development is another component that the NBA guys seem to struggle with. I made fun of Crean, but kids got better under him. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, jojo123 said:

There is definitely a system in play here that needs to be destroyed! Who’s running the system? Don’t tell me the fans are the reason we can’t get a great coach. The fans at Duke, Kentucky, Kansas are no different. 

The fans have been the only thing keeping this place appealing for a long while.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Boiler Sam said:

I agree but my concern is that Woody refuses to play Reneau or Mac at the positions that maximize their skill set (5 and 4 instead of 4 and 3). Either those 2 players have convinced themselves they are something they aren’t, or the coaching staff is suffering from hubris and thinks they can rapidly develop them into what they want to be. If Mac is seen as solely a SF, him or Liam will go elsewhere. They won’t split time when both have vocalized their goal to be OAD. 

To me, Liam you have to do everything in your power to keep him. His skill set is ideal for a small forward and any guard or big would love to play with a 3-level, high volume scorer. That skill set to me is priority number 1. If we have to gut the roster, I can at least feel optimistic Building a team around him. 

11 minutes ago, Hoosierdave said:

I agree but my concern is that Woody refuses to play Reneau or Mac at the positions that maximize their skill set (5 and 4 instead of 4 and 3). Either those 2 players have convinced themselves they are something they aren’t, or the coaching staff is suffering from hubris and thinks they can rapidly develop them into what they want to be. If Mac is seen as solely a SF, him or Liam will go elsewhere. They won’t split time when both have vocalized their goal to be OAD. 

To me, Liam you have to do everything in your power to keep him. His skill set is ideal for a small forward and any guard or big would love to play with a 3-level, high volume scorer. That skill set to me is priority number 1. If we have to gut the roster, I can at least feel optimistic Building a team around him. 

I read somewhere that the staff promised Mgbako that he would play the 3 if he came to IU. Don’t know if that’s true obviously. 

8 minutes ago, Boiler Sam said:

I read somewhere that the staff promised Mgbako that he would play the 3 if he came to IU. Don’t know if that’s true obviously. 

i would be willing to bet that it is.  i don't really even fault that though.  i'm sure that's an important selling point to his NBA future.  it just ain't workin.  

34 minutes ago, Boiler Sam said:

Maybe, but I mostly think it’s a poorly constructed roster. I don’t know that the 3 five stars fit with each other, let alone the rest of the rotation. 

With NIL/Portal I don’t know that you need a dynamic recruiter as much as you need someone who knows how to build a cohesive basketball team. 

And player development is another component that the NBA guys seem to struggle with. I made fun of Crean, but kids got better under him. 

100% agree with this.  you have to be able to manage people and do it quickly in today's bball society.  that means you have to be able to be cool, but also be the disciplinarian.     

7 minutes ago, Boiler Sam said:

Oh totally, which is evident by the fact we haven’t seen Mac play a single minute at power forward. 

I just think any decent coach with a spine would tell these two that we tried it your way and it unfortunately didn’t work. That being said, we see the potential in you and what you need to improve on to have a long NBA career and well pull our resources together to develop you in your free time. 

Im terrified at the idea that our staff potentially is looking at Queen, Reneau, Mac and Liam all starting together. 

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

Sure, but what’s your point? It isn’t illegal to bait someone. 

I thought my point was stated. They baited him and it worked. They knew they could get under CJ’s skin. It’s lack of mental toughness/focus. I never said it was illegal, dirty or anything of that nature. 

Edited by southsidehoosier
  • Like 1