Wisconsin post game thread

5 minutes ago, Cbp4IU said:

CBI?

If any AD at Indiana accepts an invite to that garbage they should be fired.  I think they have had to accept NIT in the past.  Back in the day you could make an argument that the extra time for that was worthwhile but not in today's environment.  Players coming and going too often at this level to think you are getting any development there.  The extra time ends up being to the benefit of some other program in most cases.

4 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

If for sake of discussion I agree with everything you posted up until the last two sentences, the referees still handled it exactly how they had to.

There was absolutely nothing they should or could call on Wisconsin prior to the elbow. And there is absolutely no room for interpretation in the rules that a guy elbowing someone in the face, on purpose, away from the ball is a flagrant 2 ejection.

It was a stupid, and dirty, play from Gunn. The fact that Walsh seemed like the only guy on the bench who understood was surprising, and the fact that Woodson defended it even more so.   

I don’t disagree. Gunn forced their hand to call it that. I just wish some context was allowed to be invoked there. It was a classic, “looked way worse than it was” act and I don’t believe his intent was to elbow him in the face. Also, his face had no business being where it was in the first place. 

1 hour ago, Maedhros said:

Having now seen the full video leading up to the incident, I'd be more embarrassed as a fan by Wisconsin's bullshit than Gunn's reaction to it. It never ends with that program. A better conference would have cleaned that shit up years ago.

Yeah, they and Rutgers are both punk programs, but we constantly allow both to punk us

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

Whoa, CJ didn' do anything that Wisky doesn't do nearly every play. The sad part was that it was a weak ass attmempt that the wisky player should be nominated for an oscar for. We can't even be bad boys properly. I mean who half asses a F2?  IU, that's who.

It was another example of the intentionally biased officiating courtesy of the Big Ten. Scott has already been supplied with my thoughts on the subject.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Hoosierdave said:

Oh totally, which is evident by the fact we haven’t seen Mac play a single minute at power forward. 

I just think any decent coach with a spine would tell these two that we tried it your way and it unfortunately didn’t work. That being said, we see the potential in you and what you need to improve on to have a long NBA career and well pull our resources together to develop you in your free time. 

Im terrified at the idea that our staff potentially is looking at Queen, Reneau, Mac and Liam all starting together. 

I have nothing against the Queen kid, but I am almost wishing he doesn't come here if Malik returns.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

If for sake of discussion I agree with everything you posted up until the last two sentences, the referees still handled it exactly how they had to.

There was absolutely nothing they should or could call on Wisconsin prior to the elbow. And there is absolutely no room for interpretation in the rules that a guy elbowing someone in the face, on purpose, away from the ball is a flagrant 2 ejection.

It was a stupid, and dirty, play from Gunn. The fact that Walsh seemed like the only guy on the bench who understood was surprising, and the fact that Woodson defended it even more so.   

I was trying to to see what Walsh was saying to him.

13 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I was at a high school game.  Got home at halftime.  Had the tv on in the background for the start of 2nd half while I was loading the dishwasher and folding some laundry. 

After finishing those chores, I decided to sit down with the Ken Follett book I'm currently reading.

All in all, I enjoyed the night much more than I would have if I had watched the game.

Found out this morning about Gunn's ejection.  Just smh at the state of things right now.

I finished the most recent book last week.

Love the Follett historical novels 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I finished the most recent book last week.

Love the Follett historical novels 

I love them as well.  Being the cheapskate I am however, I have to usually wait 3-4 years for them to come out in mass-market paperback.  It takes forever for his books to work their way from hardback, to large paperback, to mass-market paperback.  I'm currently reading 'Never'.   Might be a while for 'The Armout of Light' to come out in the mass-market edition.   

7 hours ago, ForHumanity said:

What happened??

The pace of play there was much slower. Now he always has a hand near by on defense.  And I also think he’s not dealing well with being just another team mate. He needs to think he’s the guy. His ego took a hit and he can’t recover.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MSHoosier said:

I have nothing against the Queen kid, but I am almost wishing he doesn't come here if Malik returns.

His sit or get off the pot clock expired for me a while ago, and no matter how much I love Malik, as a parent, I've gotta tell the kid. NOT YET. you are not ready YET. Doesn't mean you wont be ready, but you are not ready yet.

Queen, if you are not on the bus now then ride a different tram. We don't need another mentally ill ex wife . Your ride or die time has passed, we don't care anymore since you couldn't make up your mind. good luck.  Our offer is closed.

On 1/20/2024 at 10:26 AM, KoB2011 said:

Sure, but what’s your point? It isn’t illegal to bait someone. 

Exactly.  Instead of elbowing him right in front of the ref, use the same tactics.  

I said immediately he was getting ejected in the game thread. It is not that I’m prescient, it’s just that it was so obvious that’s what would happen.  

And of course it precipitated Fisher’s comment.  He’s around the team, goes to some practices, does interviews with the players, the staff talks off the record with him, etc.   Don is a significant figure and, let’s be honest, he’s not usually critical of IU.  He’s always made clear he knows who butters his bread.  He tends to be an IU apologist, at least publicly.  So this isn’t a minor issue when he speaks out. He carries weight.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 7

40 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

weren't you the one that said the reaction should never be punishable after the XJ incident?

I don’t think I said it should never be punishable, but I did think they called the XJ nut shot correctly. They called a personal foul on the Rutgers players and I was good with it not rising to more. I guess they could have called an F1 on Rutgers but I think in light of him getting hit in the nuts that would be an overreaction from the refs. 

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

I don’t think I said it should never be punishable, but I did think they called the XJ nut shot correctly. They called a personal foul on the Rutgers players and I was good with it not rising to more. I guess they could have called an F1 on Rutgers but I think in light of him getting hit in the nuts that would be an overreaction from the refs. 

And, by the way, your link at the bottom of your posts goes to a Twitter comment by Coach Adranga, nothing to do with Fisch, who by the way has clarified his comments during the Wisconsin game to explain that he was not criticizing the coaching or the team, but upset over another flagrant 2 call.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Agree with Woodson somewhat on this. CJ was an idiot for reacting and deserved to be ejected IMO, but the Wisconsin punk should have at least gotten T’d up for the head to the chest, bc it WAS intentional. My question, what the hell are the officials looking at to not reprimand the Wisconsin kid? Are those officials THAT ignorant and blind? That’s frustrating when you have replay and it’s right in front of your face and you still don’t get it right. Disclaimer: This had no impact on the outcome of the game.

Edited by kyhoosier29
  • Like 3

36 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Agree with Woodson somewhat on this. CJ was an idiot for reacting and deserved to be ejected IMO, but the Wisconsin punk should have at least gotten T’d up for the head to the chest, bc it WAS intentional. My question, what the hell are the officials looking at to not reprimand the Wisconsin kid? Are those officials THAT ignorant and blind? That’s frustrating when you have replay and it’s right in front of your face and you still don’t get it right. Disclaimer: This had no impact on the outcome of the game.

So I get the point that the head to chest was irritating and led to the elbow, but I don’t really know what you call on him there.

If CJ doesn’t elbow him it’s nothing, right? If CJ gets upset and makes a stink to the refs and they go review it, it’s still nothing, right? And we are probably laughing that CJ got so upset about it.

It was a live ball but away from the play, stationary players are going to lean on each other, grab each other, talk crap, etc and 99.999% of the time there won’t be a reaction like CJ’s. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

And, by the way, your link at the bottom of your posts goes to a Twitter comment by Coach Adranga, nothing to do with Fisch, who by the way has clarified his comments during the Wisconsin game to explain that he was not criticizing the coaching or the team, but upset over another flagrant 2 call.

I am sure he did, several days later, after being told to shut his pie hole by the administration lol

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

for me it's not the secondary head to chest, it's the intentional head butt prior, that happened to miss. Followed by the insignificant contact. If we are going to come one here and blame XJ for his actions and leave the Rutgers kid off scot free, we have to do the same in this situation, no? I realize XJ's actions were a lot worse but so was the reaction from Rutgers. Same here, the head butt wasn't terrible, but the reaction was also nothingness.