Wisconsin post game thread

8 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Lots of the regular posters not on the game thread. Don’t blame you a bit.Wonder your thoughts though 

Apathy…I didn’t have enough energy or well care to post much. I was watching on my phone because I was out of town so to take time to flip over and say something just didn’t seem worth it. 

My thoughts really haven’t changed much in the past 10 years…IU is Nebraska football. No longer relevant in the college landscape…at this point just hoping to make the tournament every year is our goal. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Indykev said:

cant say what you dont mean.

Im assuming Woody just wanted to see some fight….any fight in the team…but it’s still embarrassing the fake tough guy act by Gunn. This team is pretty sad. A lot of selfish individuals have the talent..and those that look like they care don’t have much..they don’t communicate so their defense is terrible and they are selfish on offense and don’t share the ball until they can’t find a way to force a shot up.

8 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Questions for Coach:

1.  What was the thought about doubling the post when they get going fron 3? We don’t think they’ll make all of them

2.  When Klesmit got hot, what was the strategy to adjust to that? Who? The little guard?

3.  What’s your opinion on your guys frequently shooting long two’s even to the point where their heel is on the three point line? We’ve learned we can get that shot any time

4.  Why have you had two ejections and several flagrant fouls the past few games?   Boys like to roughhouse. I remember one time when I was 12….

5.  What are you doing to instill the IU culture you grew up in? I tell a lot of stories. The guys really like that

6.  What’s your opinion of the team’s ball movement? I always remind them to wear a jock strap

• Haha 4

Think we all can agree that common sense says you don't take the bait. Should CJ have done it no was it stupid yes but that doesn't make it right. I thought when we cut it to seven we might actually do something. I don't think running balcony stairs will do the trick this time.

9 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Lots of the regular posters not on the game thread. Don’t blame you a bit.Wonder your thoughts though 

I was at a high school game.  Got home at halftime.  Had the tv on in the background for the start of 2nd half while I was loading the dishwasher and folding some laundry. 

After finishing those chores, I decided to sit down with the Ken Follett book I'm currently reading.

All in all, I enjoyed the night much more than I would have if I had watched the game.

Found out this morning about Gunn's ejection.  Just smh at the state of things right now.

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I didn't watch it. It was over before it started and as I have said many times I am sick and tired of garbage basketball and coaching.

We are the cellar dwellers of the league and have regressed to where Northwestern and Wisconsin were 30 years ago.

10 hours ago, Danomatic said:

"In my 51 years behind this microphone I will say something that I've never said before: I'm embarrassed for this team, and it has nothing to do with the score."
- Don Fischer 

I decided to read the post-game thread specifically to see if anyone referenced this.  If that does not get someone's attention, nothing will.

• Like 9

10 hours ago, Cbp4IU said:

Welp.  Woodson just said we are still trying to figure each other out.” He realizes we are onto game like 20 right?

Comments like this from Woodson concern me more than anything else right now.  It's basically an admission that he has no idea how to fix it.    

• Like 4

2 hours ago, jojo123 said:

Kid did punk him. The kid got the response he was looking for. The he knew he would get. 

Exactly. Can we stop pretending Gunn “elbowed him in the face”? Sure it was a dumb move on his part, only because it wasn’t going to cause harm to the other guy and with replay, he was going to get caught.
That said, he couldn’t have been more gentle if he tried. The reaction by Wisconsin was pathetic and soft. Gard is the parent no one wants their kids to play with because he raises nothing but whiny b*tches who act like aholes and cry home to mommy and daddy because their fragile sensibilities were hurt.
The refs had every opportunity to review, ascertain that it was in fact provoked, that no actual pain/harm was inflicted, and move on. The X criticism is well warranted  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Comments like this from Woodson concern me more than anything else right now.  It's basically an admission that he has no idea how to fix it.    

It makes it all the more confusing that he is defensive on the occasions he is asked tactical questions about his scheme or his lineups.

The formula for beating us is incredibly simple. You attack our defense by getting your best shooter set up near either a guard penetrating or on the side of a post feed so that when we go to help that shooter has a wide open look.

You guard us by not helping off of Ware. Double Malik when he touches it from any of the perimeter players and we don’t execute well enough out of that to hit open shooters. 

3 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

Exactly. Can we stop pretending Gunn “elbowed him in the face”? Sure it was a dumb move on his part, only because it wasn’t going to cause harm to the other guy and with replay, he was going to get caught.
That said, he couldn’t have been more gentle if he tried. The reaction by Wisconsin was pathetic and soft. Gard is the parent no one wants their kids to play with because he raises nothing but whiny b*tches who act like aholes and cry home to mommy and daddy because their fragile sensibilities were hurt.
The refs had every opportunity to review, ascertain that it was in fact provoked, that no actual pain/harm was inflicted, and move on. The X criticism is well warranted  

Regardless of everything you just said, it was a flagrant 2 by rule.  Even if the douche bag Wisconsin kid deserved a tech for taunting or whatever it would have been.  A flagrant 1?

Edited by NotIThatLives

1 minute ago, Hoosier82 said:

I think it should have been a flagrant 1.  The kid kept putting his head on him and CJ moved the body part he was on to get him off.  Next time he just needs to walk into the kid when he is doing something like that to establish his personal space as well.

The Gunn thing was the least of my complaints.  It wasn't smart to get baited like that but I think the ejection wasn't warranted.

2 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

If for sake of discussion I agree with everything you posted up until the last two sentences, the referees still handled it exactly how they had to.

There was absolutely nothing they should or could call on Wisconsin prior to the elbow. And there is absolutely no room for interpretation in the rules that a guy elbowing someone in the face, on purpose, away from the ball is a flagrant 2 ejection.

It was a stupid, and dirty, play from Gunn. The fact that Walsh seemed like the only guy on the bench who understood was surprising, and the fact that Woodson defended it even more so.   

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I think it should have been a flagrant 1.  The kid kept putting his head on him and CJ moved the body part he was on to get him off.  Next time he just needs to walk into the kid when he is doing something like that to establish his personal space as well.

The Gunn thing was the least of my complaints.  It wasn't smart to get baited like that but I think the ejection wasn't warranted.

It was warranted and there really wasn’t any wiggle room. That was about the easiest call the referees had all night to eject Gunn and  it call anything on Wisconsin.

There is absolutely nothing about an offensive player leaning into their defender that warrants that. 

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

It was warranted and there really wasn’t any wiggle room. That was about the easiest call the referees had all night to eject Gunn and  it call anything on Wisconsin.

There is absolutely nothing about an offensive player leaning into their defender that warrants that. 

We will just have to agree to disagree on that.  I think Wisconsin gets away with that sh** all the time.  Gunn got caught on the reaction and it wasn't malicious.  It is the type of movement you do if someone licks their finger and keeps sticking it on your upper arm.  You shake your arm to get it off.

Was it smart?  No.  Malicious?  Nah. 

1 minute ago, IUCrazy2 said:

We will just have to agree to disagree on that.  I think Wisconsin gets away with that sh** all the time.  Gunn got caught on the reaction and it wasn't malicious.  It is the type of movement you do if someone licks their finger and keeps sticking it on your upper arm.  You shake your arm to get it off.

Was it smart?  No.  Malicious?  Nah. 

There’s literally nothing to agree to disagree on. It’s a black and white interpretation of the rule.

We don’t ask referees to determine if there is malicious intent. 

2 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

There’s literally nothing to agree to disagree on. It’s a black and white interpretation of the rule.

We don’t ask referees to determine if there is malicious intent. 

They do interpret it all the time.  I could make the argument it wasn't intentional contact with the head.

Just now, IUCrazy2 said:

They do interpret it all the time.  I could make the argument it wasn't intentional contact with the head.

That would be a terrible argument. He intentionally elbowed a guy in the head in a non-basketball play. It was the easiest call of the game. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

That would be a terrible argument. He intentionally elbowed a guy in the head in a non-basketball play. It was the easiest call of the game. 

No, a guy kept putting his body on his and he shook him off and made contact with the head because that is what the guy was hitting him with.

We aren't going to agree.  I hear your point and just disagree.  I think it should have been an F1 and the Wisconsin player should have got a technical.

Edited by IUCrazy2

Just now, IUCrazy2 said:

No, a guy kept putting his body on his and he shook him off and made contact with the head because that is what the guy was hitting him with.

Gunn’s elbow came all the way up above Gunn’s own shoulder. He didn’t elbow at chest height, he targeted his head.