IU / Illinois Post Game Thread

5fouls

1 minute ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Don’t agree with this. Our offensive scheme isn’t built around guards and wings showcasing. But maybe I just don’t see it. I am not very bright lol

Of course its built around the bigs, they are the best players but if you had shooters the kick out is there every time. we just dont do it, we just re feed the post again.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

Serious question…why would any guard or shooter want to play in this style of offense? I hope Mcneeley isn’t watching these games lol. 

you will get minutes and open shoots. We miss and pass up a lot of good looks 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Indykev said:

I hope when Woody watches this tape and he sees A.Leal on the court big mins., he thinks to himself, damn i suck as a recruiter. I dont get the college game of today.

I am 99% sure he was told he couldn’t play Gunn, either by Dolson or the conference. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ForHumanity said:

How do gds. get confidence when it's all about throwing it inside and it rarely comes out again?

So much for shooting 62% inside to offset 3's.

You cannot trade 2's for 3's and expect to win.

Another low for the year of lows. 

This! The offense isn't designed to get any good, rhythm 3's. 

Reneau is a gamer and incredibly skilled around the basket, but our entire offense can't be to pass it to him and everyone stand around until he forces it or reluctantly passes. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, ForHumanity said:

But it's ok to play after grabbing some mixed nuts?

Well if it was the conference, it would be that they deemed what CJ did as fighting.

If it was Dolson, it would be more like enough is enough.

Either way, I don’t love that someone besides our head coach is intervening to discipline our team. The only other time I recall suspensions under Woodson it was TJD that made him do it. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Indykev said:

you can play through your bigs and still have plenty of 3 opportunities. MR never passes out of double or triple teams.

Yes, there are open looks, but our shooters never seem to be ready. It is a bit concerning that Tamar started shooting at a much higher percentage on Mizzou. I fear our offense doesn’t inspire confidence in shooters because they don’t seem to shoot in rhythm. 

Tamar is very efficient this year….

image.thumb.png.b84630a1dbe2e9530f3d4f05b1d988e0.png

12 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Of course its built around the bigs, they are the best players but if you had shooters the kick out is there every time. we just dont do it, we just re feed the post again.

Reneau had 1 assist and he just doesn’t pass. I understand where you’re coming from but I wouldn’t want my guard kid to go to iu at this moment

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ForHumanity said:

Surely, with the number of students that attend IU, somewhere in the stands is a 3 pt shooter.

Dress him.

Isnt there a team manager name Hordy Julls that was a decent shooter in HS?  Might be worth giving him a chance to see what he can do? 🤷‍♂️

Liked the effort and defensive intensity in this game. Was always going to be though to get a road win against a top 10 team.

That being said, the shooting - both 3 point and free throw - is atrocious. If we were even just below average in either we win this game. It’s just frustrating to watch thinking everything has to go right to win.

At this point in the year, we basically have to go 8-3 the rest of the way just to be in the tourney conversation. The one bright spot in this game is we finally got  a glimpse of good Xavier. We will need that consistently if we want any chance at finishing strong.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Hoosierdave said:

I said I would give them until the end of the month but I think for the first time ever I’m officially not planning my day/evening around a game. Not making the tournament, this team picks and chooses when they want to play with heart and hustle, style is painful to watch and super low basketball IQ from players and coaches.

Its negatively impacting my mental health tbh and I’m struggling to find a reason to justify allowing a hobby to feel like a chore. 

Your team losing shouldn't ever bother your mental health. It isn't that important to let it bother you that much.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Tough loss, lots of missed opportunities. But the game changed when it was tied with a minute left and Shannon completely plowed over XJ and somehow the refs inexplicably called the foul on XJ. 

An atrocious call. Instead of the ball with a chance to take the lead, we were down 2 with under 1:00. 

Didn't help that XJ missed 1,567 free throws in the last minute either. 

That was just horrible call

• Like 2