IU / Illinois Post Game Thread

5fouls

29 minutes ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

Game was over when Reneau fouled out, but surprised it was that close when you go 0-9 from 3, 12-22 at the FT line, and get doubled up on the offensive boards 14-7.

On another note Gunn and Banks didn’t see the floor….anybody think they’re back next year?

Banks no shot… I think I heard he wanted to leave last season but his parents made him stay? Idk maybe I’m making that up in my head but I think I heard that. Gunn maybe but probably not back

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

That was just horrible call

And the the ref gave him a make up call, just like they do in the pros, and he missed both free throws -- game over.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

That was just horrible call

Edited by MSHoosier
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Tough loss, lots of missed opportunities. But the game changed when it was tied with a minute left and Shannon completely plowed over XJ and somehow the refs inexplicably called the foul on XJ. 

An atrocious call. Instead of the ball with a chance to take the lead, we were down 2 with under 1:00. 

Didn't help that XJ missed 1,567 free throws in the last minute either. 

I think that would’ve been Shannon’s 5th foul too.

The stretch that ended it started there. Missed call leading to 2 points for Illinois, Xavier misses 2 free throws, Illinois goes down and scores. Go from tied to down 4 just like that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MSHoosier said:

And the the ref gave him a make up call, just like they do in the pros, and he missed both free throws -- game over.

That wasn’t a makeup call, that was just a normal foul.

• Like 2

I am done with this style of offense because it makes it an uphill battle to win games.  If Woodson can't or won'take changes then he needs to step down at the end of the year.

The good from the game

Team played hard and with some passion. They competed until the end. Reneau had another good game. Besides his stupid play at the end of the half I thought Johnson played well.

The bad

3 point shooting

FT shooting

Defensive rebounding

We talk about bad calls all the time. It's not with just IU. I am seeing all over college basketball.

I saw a foul called in the OSU vs Wisc. game where a player trips himself and a foul was called on a player a step and a half away from him. Unreal!

The refs can easily control what team will win by a few bad calls.

The refs need to be held accountable by fines or suspensions. NOT just downgrading.

Just now, Parakeet Jones said:

Did I miss something somewhere?  I mean are we sure he didn’t play Gunn because he’s just not that good?  

Yeah, unless I missed something this seems way more likely. He didn’t play Gunn because he made a dumb play and has been bad.

I’d be shocked if that came from Dolson.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I am done with this style of offense because it makes it an uphill battle to win games.  If Woodson can't or won'take changes then he needs to step down at the end of the year.

The good from the game

Team played hard and with some passion. They competed until the end. Reneau had another good game. Besides his stupid play at the end of the half I thought Johnson played well.

The bad

3 point shooting

FT shooting

Defensive rebounding

Hard to rebound when they are over your back and shoulders! But the rest is spot on! When your best 3 pt shooter does't have a few plays run for him! Like the effort but game over on the foul charge call!!

• Like 1

Sorry, its not just the wins/losses or the roster. 

This coach's/staff's overall approach to the game is not going to get it done.

Rebounding: D+, free throws: F, shot selection (from the scheme): D-, overall offensive scheme: C-, defense: D+. And some of these issues have been present and noticeable for all 3 years are are NOT being adequately addressed.

It's NOT just a talent problem. This isn't working and "better guards" isn't going to fix the structural issues.

Hate to say it but Woodson is failing. 

Conclusion: there is enough evidence to conclude that this is not going to work as is and there has been no visible or tangible demonstration to date that needed adjustments are going to be made.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

I missed most of the game.  What was the technical foul?

It was absolutely terrible.  X scored before half and then threw the ball to Hawkins right as the buzzer sounded.

Hawkins wasn’t looking, then got pissed and almost started a fight. Technical foul called on X. 

8 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Did I miss something somewhere?  I mean are we sure he didn’t play Gunn because he’s just not that good?  

There wasn’t an announcement but I honestly would be shocked if Woodson just chose to not play him in this game. 

15 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

The good from the game

The bad

3 point shooting

FT shooting

Defensive rebounding

I'm pretty done with this offensive system too. The offense very Archie-esque. 

If I was Dolson, I'd need a crystal clear plan of system changes Woodson plans to make in order for him to get another season. 

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, Kdug said:

Yeah, unless I missed something this seems way more likely. He didn’t play Gunn because he made a dumb play and has been bad.

I’d be shocked if that came from Dolson.

I mean our guards were bad today, and they played the most minutes they’ve gotten all year. Woodson is on record saying he didn’t think CJ did anything wrong.

So either Dolson told him to sit him or the league considered it an act of fighting and it was an automatic suspension. 

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

I mean our guards were bad today, and they played the most minutes they’ve gotten all year. Woodson is on record saying he didn’t think CJ did anything wrong.

So either Dolson told him to sit him or the league considered it an act of fighting and it was an automatic suspension. 

Yeah, unless you have info I don’t, that didn’t happen. I’d imagine Woodson didn’t play Gunn because he’s been bad most of the year, and he made a dumb play.

It’s laughable to think Dolson would tell him not play him. It’s even more laughable to think the league suspended him but didn’t tell anyone.

• Like 1