Iowa Post Game Thread

KDB

28 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

It’s been true the past two games, but it hadn’t been true all season. Gunn and Banks were getting playing time while Leal was buried on the bench. I don’t think Anthony just started practicing hard. Not sure that Gunn and Banks were getting that clear message. 

Apparently not, and now they're paying the price...

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I hope CJ and Kaleb are taking notice... The way into the court under Mike Woodson is through practicing hard and carrying it over to games... 

You and I both have posted on here time and time again about Leal's potential to help this team. Many posters on here didn't give Leal the time of day and often spoke of him sort of as a novelty. 

I hope we see a lot more of Leal in some capacity from here on out.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Apparently not, and now they're paying the price...

That seems to be an assumption that Banks and CJ don't practice hard 

I have heard just the opposite, that both players put in work and effort. 

It may just be that Leal got his chance and had a great game 

That doesn't necessarily mean Banks and Gunn are slacking. They may just not be very good yet  🤷‍♂️

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

That doesn't necessarily mean Banks and Gunn are slacking. They may just not be very good yet  🤷‍♂️

I've never said they don't practice hard, but their  performance doesn't carry over to the games, at least not consistently...

They've had numerous chances to produce, and haven't at the level Coach Woodson expects... 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, btownqb said:

It was nice to see A Leal hit shots for us. Huge. 

Worried about Malik not making it back to the bench... I assume XJs lower wrist/ arm is broke.  

He came back out. There’s a tweet someone posted on page 3 of him sitting around where Tim Garl usually sits clapping when a basket is made. I don’t know if he stayed there all game or what but he was there at least for a bit. 

FUN GAME.

- A lot of reviews, but beyond that the officials actually let a good flow to develop. It was actually……entertaining.
- I was one of the doubters, but beyond happy to see Leal get his moment. 
- Ware put this team on his shoulders - that kid wanted to WIN tonight. 
- So hard to watch XJ writhing in pain.
- Hope Malik comes back soon, if not, let’s look at the silver lining and hope it inspires smaller lineups more often. 
- Can this team learn to close out the first half in the near future???? The turnovers, bad shots, mental mistakes and bad fouls. It seems like it was the 10th time in a row that happened. 

On to the next. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

I think that’s likely accurate. I’m sure Woodson likes their length and athleticism. If they weren’t working hard, it’s odd that they were playing while Leal was buried on the bench all season

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

I've never said they don't practice hard, but their  performance doesn't carry over to the games, at least not consistently...

They've had numerous chances to produce, and haven't at the level Coach Woodson expects... 

Well, that's fair. I think the part I may disagree with (or at least say there is no way to know) is saying that they didn't get the message 

Sometimes not playing well is because it jist hasn't clicked yet, not because you aren't getting the message.

I see your point. But by that theory, Anthony Leal didn't get the message for 4 years.   😜

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, IUskim said:

He came back out. There’s a tweet someone posted on page 3 of him sitting around where Tim Garl usually sits clapping when a basket is made. I don’t know if he stayed there all game or what but he was there at least for a bit. 

It was reported in Indy Star that Malik was on crutches 

2 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

I think that’s likely accurate. I’m sure Woodson likes their length and athleticism. If they weren’t working hard, it’s odd that they were playing while Leal was buried on the bench all season

I don’t think it’s trivial. When they play, their mistakes make them a liability. They put up bad shots and are loose with the ball. I think they’re relatively good one on one defenders, but not good system defenders.

Despite Leal’s lack of athleticism, he can pretty much coach that team. He knows where to be. IF he continues hitting shots at a good enough clip to spread the defense, he’ll take a lot of their playing time. 

• Like 4

Just now, bluegrassIU said:

Well, that's fair. I think the part I may disagree with (or at least say there is no way to know) is saying that they didn't get the message 

Sometimes not playing well is because it jist hasn't clicked yet, not because you aren't getting the message.

I see your point. But by that theory, Anthony Leal didn't get the message for 4 years.   😜

I think the part that's not clicking is they use games to try to elevate their games instead of just doing their job... 

I've said this before, both should concentrate on defense and rebounding, and let the other parts of his game come to them...

They both have more physical ability than Anthony Leal does... But with Leal's experience he understands what he's out there for... 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I think the part that's not clicking is they use games to try to elevate their games instead of just doing their job... 

I've said this before, both should concentrate on defense and rebounding, and let the other parts of his game come to them...

They both have more physical ability than Anthony Leal does... But with Leal's experience he understands what he's out there for... 

Agree. CJ only got 5 minutes last night but he aggressively pulled down two rebounds. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, HoosierDom said:

I didn't see what happened to Malik, did it look bad?

I can't imagine X comes back this year. I've hurt my knee and ankle before where it hurt real bad right away but then got better quickly and I was fine. Never had that happen to my arm.

I have if it was a dislocated elbow like it looked. I was in a sling for 2 weeks then started 2 a days for football just couldnt lift or anything for another 2 weeks. 

32 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

it’s odd that they were playing while Leal was buried on the bench all season

Honestly, I've been struggling with this question all year watching guys like Gunn, Banks, and even Cupps struggle.  Why not give Leal a chance?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Honestly, I've been struggling with this question all year watching guys like Gunn, Banks, and even Cupps struggle.  Why not give Leal a chance?

Agree

You know what you get with Leal. He will play hard and be in good position on D. Might get beat off the dribble but he will compete. He is capable of making the open shot moves the ball. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Let's be real here people.

The first time Leal goes 0 for 4 and gets beat off the dribble by a super quick guard we will all be ranting at Woody for thinking he should play a "mid major talent" at IU.   

It's what we do.  🤣

True, he got burned a few times in the second half on D.

14 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Let's be real here people.

The first time Leal goes 0 for 4 and gets beat off the dribble by a super quick guard we will all be ranting at Woody for thinking he should play a "mid major talent" at IU.   

It's what we do.  🤣

I think Anthony's experience will keep last night from going to his head...

Now watch him go out and go all Rick Mount on us against Penn St to make me a liar 🙂

Edited by IUFLA

19 minutes ago, 94hoosier said:

Agree

You know what you get with Leal. He will play hard and be in good position on D. Might get beat off the dribble but he will compete. He is capable of making the open shot moves the ball. 

Agree.  But, don’t TG and X get beat off the dribble too? I see TG running alongside his guy all the time.  Seems he often can’t hold a position.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I think Anthony's experience will keep last night from going to his head...

Now watch him go out and go all Rick Mount on us against Penn St to make me a liar 🙂

i am happy for AL, not sure he is this type of player every night, but who the hells knows.  maybe he is the missing link and just needs to get more time on the floor with that line up.

Great win for the team, thought they were going to choke it up but played great D down the stretch to keep iowa from scoring back to back buckets when they took the lead.

Injuries are going to kill us down the stretch.  Even Ware was playing through his hurt leg, lost Malik for a few and who knows on X.

TG HAS TO BE BETTER!!  He has to find some consistency.  He has to play better.  Value the ball more and play under control.  As a Sr starter, he just has to be better for the team.  I think he is more important than XJ for the success of this team. 

On to the next!  Go Hoosiers 

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, John S said:

Agree.  But, don’t TG and X get beat off the dribble too? I see TG running alongside his guy all the time.  Seems he often can’t hold a position.  

Perkins made some tough ones though... Kid is a gamer... 

• Like 2