Iowa Post Game Thread

KDB

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good job Hoosiers!

Credit where it’s due. Looked much better tonight on both ends, and essentially without Reneau.

I don’t have a good understanding or explanation yet for what happened in the first part of the second half, but we looked much better the rest of the game. Especially in the first half.

2 hours ago, Maedhros said:

I'll add that the officiating was truly pathetic. Not a chance that was a flagrant on Xavier, nor was it goaltending on Ware. But both got called/reviewed because the Iowa bench asked for it. Just like the Wisconsin and Illinois games. Yet the undercut that led to Xavier's injury wasn't reviewed at all. It's clear there's a hierarchy in this conference, and Woodson is getting the short end of that sick.

You thought the officiating was poor? That was the best officiated game I’ve seen in the Big10 this year IMO. Who cares that they reviewed X’s foul, it WAS intentional, but they got it right. He could have actually just gone for the ball to try to steal it instead of blatantly fouling, which made it look awkward. And I thought the ball was coming down when Ware blocked it. He does that A LOT by the way…. interested to know how many goaltendings he has this year. 

Enjoyed the style of play tonight much more than usual. Great effort on D for the most part. My only two complaints, FREE THROWS!!! and I’ll never understand why you even allow Sandfort to catch the ball. Guy was feeling it and there were multiple moments where our guys weren’t even looking at him or ready to guard him. 

Edited by kyhoosier29
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, kyhoosier29 said:

You thought the officiating was poor? That was the best officiated game I’ve seen in the Big10 this year IMO. Who cares that they reviewed X’s foul, it WAS intentional, but they got it right. He could have actually just gone for the ball to try to steal it instead of blatantly fouling, which made it look awkward. And I thought the ball was coming down when Ware blocked it. He does that A LOT by the way…. interested to know how many goaltendings he has this year. 

Enjoyed the style of play tonight much more than usual. Great effort on D for the most part. My only two complaints, FREE THROWS!!! and I’ll never understand why you even allow Sandfort to catch the ball. Guy was feeling it and there were multiple moments where our guys weren’t even looking at him or ready to guard him. 

XJ did a good job of making a play for the ball unlike Loyer @Maryland 

Iowa is a tough matchup if bigs are hitting midrange & Sandfort is bombing 3’s.  Ware’s length seemed to bother Iowa 

Haven't seen it, but really happy for Leal looking at the box score. Kid deserves it!

Big bummer about the injuries, but next man up. Cupps can do more than he has shown thus far.

Am I correct that we played a little smaller and more perimeter oriented this game? That's just looking at the box score, but the minutes distribution and three point attempts suggests we did? 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, IU Scott said:

If XJ and Reneau is out Saturday who is starting.

Galloway 

Leal 

MM 

Ware 

For the fifth starter do you go Cupps or Walker

gonna be interesting.  i think i'd like to see Cupps, Leal, Galloway, Mtaco, Ware.  i bet the ball would move and we'd play smart bball.  not much depth if we're missing X and MR.  very intrigued for Sat now.  i still think we win that one at home even if both are out.  so all we'll be able to do is speculate up until then.  are bets that X broke his arm?  are bets that MR will be able to play Sat or soon after?  those are my thoughts at this point.  absolutely gotta get it though.  we have two auto losses coming up with at OSU and at Purdue.

don't know how you can't be happy for Leal.  just an easy guy to cheer for!  have enjoyed watching Ware all season.  he has made a rough season more exciting.  good to see Mtaco shooting more.  his % is rough, but hopefully that will be the next thing to come.  gonna be really interesting.    

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hoosierdave said:

Ware is a stud for battling through that injury. Can’t believe people question his heart and motor. 

At Oregon and in his early days here there was a reason for that...

But yesterday he gutted it out, played through pain, and grabbed tough rebounds which is just one more rung in his progression...

The last 2 games the refs have let us play, and our defense has been pretty good...

Hopefully see where we're at injury-wise soon... If we can get healthy, we can make some noise... 

9 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Cupps. Stone cold. Now all eyes on injuries. Ware's presence was obvious. Hope we get Malik and X back. 

As a fan this was a weird one. So happy, so ticked, so ticked, so happy...and a big sigh of relief. Onto the next.

That is the kind of play I was expecting from Cupps. I feel he has been holding back his scoring attempts a little for fear of missing and thinking too much. JMO

• Like 2

9 hours ago, SawatchHoosier said:

"It's not hard to stay ready." That's what Leal said about the opportunity in his post game interview. This is the kind of player you want at Indiana. I don't care that we barely won, that we did a screw job on a 15 point lead and that Iowa might suck. The fact of the matter is this is kind of kid we want on this team. If the rest of this team comes with 1/2 the preparation and heart the Leal comes with then good things will happen. I say let the Former Indiana Mr. Basketball and Bloomington South Guard loose at Purdue. I say ride or die with the Leal Estate Agent. I know I'm not supposed to be excited about this win but I got hyped up when I heard him Leal "It's not hard to stay ready." 

Those are the type of players that will run through a brick wall for you.

When Leal said, (paraphrase) "I can't wait to put on this IU jersey every game!,".....That says all you need to know about buy-in and commitment to this team, coaches AND Indiana University. 

Edited by Artesian_86
  • Like 5

Defense and rebounding were really good. It seems like they finally recognized that Ware is an elite rim protector who doesn’t foul. They don’t need to help off shooters. I think it was Bruce Weber who pointed out how late in the game Perkins would drive under the basket, look up at Ware and have nowhere to go. 

Would be shocked if X plays again. He was lying on the court screaming after landing with all his weight on his wrist. You could see the body language of the other players. They knew how bad it looked. 

Malik’s injury didn’t look that bad, but sometimes weird things happen.

5 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

Those are the type of players that will run through a brick wall for you.

When Leal said, (paraphrase) "I can't wait to put on this IU jersey every game!,".....That says all you need to know about buy-in and commitment to this team, coaches AND Indiana University. 

I hope CJ and Kaleb are taking notice... The way into the court under Mike Woodson is through practicing hard and carrying it over to games... 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

That is the kind of play I was expecting from Cupps. I feel he has been holding back his scoring attempts a little for fear of missing and thinking too much. JMO

The stretch in the first half when we were really 'clicking' was when Leal & Cupps were in the game together.  The offense looked fluid and we were moving the ball.  Maybe that combo won't always work because of matchups, but it felt like having two floor generals on the floor, working in unison.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I hope CJ and Kaleb are taking notice... The way into the court under Mike Woodson is through practicing hard and carrying it over to games... 

It’s been true the past two games, but it hadn’t been true all season. Gunn and Banks were getting playing time while Leal was buried on the bench. I don’t think Anthony just started practicing hard. Not sure that Gunn and Banks were getting that clear message. 

38 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

What i've noticed is Cupps as a catch and shoot guy is a very good shooter...when he struggles still is on the move.  When he comes of a ball screen and goes into a pull-up shot he often fades as he shoots to the side...some of it is game speed that I never had I am sure, but he seems to be floating to the side quite a bit.  On catch and shoot plays he has been pretty good. His mechanics are great, its just a matter of him controlling his body, in my humble opinion.

• Like 3

So I had things going on last night and had to record the game.  I haven't been able to watch it yet but have two thoughts:

1. Nice to get back in the W column and more importantly,

2.  I saw that Leal had a really good game and I could not be happier for that guy.  He has done nothing but come in and do what he has been asked for 4 years.  Glad to see him get an opportunity after all that hard work and also glad to see that the opportunity was taken advantage of.  I hope the kid goes on a tear to end the year.  He represents what I used to love about college athletics that we really don't get much of a chance to see anymore.

• Like 5