The NO NEGATIVE COMMENT Thread - Only positive vibes. (seriously!)

If Ware can get himself into the 1st round of the NBA draft after transferring to IU, that will catch the eye of other portal players with NBA aspirations.

Malik is going to be an absolute beast if he stays at IU.  Think of some of the recent great 4-year players we've seen in the Big Ten the last 10-15 years, and that is the kind of trajectory Malik is on.

• Like 5

It’s really nice to see Mgbako expand his game lately. Still a lot to improve on (especially defensively) but he’s no longer just a three point threat. He’s able to drive and work in the post against smaller defenders. He’s progressed a lot in a couple months

• Like 6

Mike Woodson is a good man...

He's a pillar of the program. Woody and many others built this program into Blue Blood status, as a player, advocate, and now trying to get back there as a coach. He wants to do things the right way, especially by the kids he's coaching. He wants them to get an education and become good men. He wants to win with integrity. 

Regardless of what we read or here during a pretty rough stretch, he's a damn good coach. I know plenty of things have been posted to the contrary, but I consider the source. People like Larry Brown think so...

“He’s a terrific human being. He’s knowledgeable as hell. I mean his grasp of the game is as good as any."

“But Woody, aside from being an unbelievable X and O guy, he’s got unbelievable people skills, which today I think is more important than Xs and Os.”

I've heard pretty much the same thing from people like Jim Jackson, Carmelo Anthony, Raymond Felton, Jamal Crawford...As a matter of fact, I'm not sure if you scoured the internet you'd find many "bad" things about Mike Woodson, basketball or personality wise...Not from people who really know, anyway...

And despite what's been posted, he's been fairly successful in his tenure here...Of course we want to shoot for higher, but it takes time. Most things hastily cobbled together don't last...You wonder why Purdue and Wisconsin are so successful? Look no farther than the fact they didn't let one year throw them off course through a panic move...

And I believe fully that no matter how this season ends, Scott Dolson isn't going to do anything rash. Woody, God willing, will be here next year.

And I'll be behind him 100%...

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Agree with everyone on Ware. He's been a huge brightspot. It's been fun watching him shed the "lazy" label that was attached to him and prove his doubters (looking at you Dana Altman) wrong!

I'll don't think he'll be back, but it would he really fun to see one more year of Ware in an IU uniform. 

• Like 2

In a world where Ware goes pro, but Mgbako sticks with it another season, I can actually see us turning this around fairly quickly. Reneau, Mgbako, McNeeley is a frontcourt that gives you spacing. The key is going to be landing effective guards in the portal. Galloway if he comes back, and Newton if he's available, are drivers instead of shooters. Cupps might still be a year away. Gotta go all out for shooters and ballhandlers in the portal, but if we can do that I'll be real excited for the upcoming season again.

• Like 7

I can't find the tweet that I shared last week in the IUBB 2023-24 thread, and I'm not sure how/if the numbers might have changed since Saturdays game, but there was a stat I shared along with video from Coach Adranga on how much our perimeter defense had changed/improved since Big Ten play started. 

It was something like IU had the best 3pt defense in conference play, and Adranga had video clips of how the coverages and helping had changed since the start of the season. 

Love seeing those adjustments from the staff and players. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 02Hoosier said:

It’s really nice to see Mgbako expand his game lately. Still a lot to improve on (especially defensively) but he’s no longer just a three point threat. He’s able to drive and work in the post against smaller defenders. He’s progressed a lot in a couple months

Mgbako hoes have a really nice baseline drive to the rim.  Its not exactly like Calbert C but i think it could be if he keeps working on it.  He has a quick first step and is big enough to fight through the contact he usually gets.  Will be nice when he has the confidence to do that automatically instead of having to think about it.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

In a world where Ware goes pro, but Mgbako sticks with it another season, I can actually see us turning this around fairly quickly. Reneau, Mgbako, McNeeley is a frontcourt that gives you spacing. The key is going to be landing effective guards in the portal. Galloway if he comes back, and Newton if he's available, are drivers instead of shooters. Cupps might still be a year away. Gotta go all out for shooters and ballhandlers in the portal, but if we can do that I'll be real excited for the upcoming season again.

Agree with this entirely.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Mgbako hoes have a really nice baseline drive to the rim.  Its not exactly like Calbert C but i think it could be if he keeps working on it.  He has a quick first step and is big enough to fight through the contact he usually gets.  Will be nice when he has the confidence to do that automatically instead of having to think about it.

I said before that Mac can be our version of AJ Storr next year if he stays...

Storr is really the only significant difference between a Wisconsin team that missed the tourney last year, and the one that is currently tied for the Big 10 lead...

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I said before that Mac can be our version of AJ Storr next year if he stays...

Storr is really the only significant difference between a Wisconsin team that missed the tourney last year, and the one that is currently tied for the Big 10 lead...

I would love our play from this point forward to resemble Wisconsin's from this point forward last year, that would build a lot of momentum into the off-season IMO. Agree that if we have Mgbako next year he could be a very big key for us. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

If it keeps him here, I fully support Mgbako hoes

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Ware has really been a pleasant surprise. That was a big question mark coming into the season. He's really delivered. Kudos to the coaching staff to get him to this point, but he clearly has it in him. Otherwise it wouldn't matter. Not only to average 16 and 11 and be capable of bigger games, but he's a reliable rim protector who doesn't foul. 

Malik is just a dependable workhorse. You know what you'll get with him. Has really stepped up from year 1. 

• Like 3

Would love to see a NIL push the chips in, figure out how to keep Mtaco, Malik, and Ware together for one more year.  Pillage the portal for the 3 best guards in it.  Winning big improves stock some doesn't it?  Get paid kore than you would as a non drafted or 2nd rounder for one year.  Be on a mission.  Win.  Go first round instead.  

3 hours ago, Maedhros said:

Me too!

I have to admit I was extremely frustrated after Saturday’s loss, but let’s get real, we’re not going to fire Woodson for one mediocre season, so let’s get behind this team, and start preparing for next year…we have a lot to build on. All this talk about firing coach is a real drag on the program and recruiting. 

• Like 4