2024 Transfer Portal

29 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Because his roster sucked.  You get a semi generational guy like Romeo, get shooters around him to open up lanes.  Then you get a generational big in Trayce and he's triple teamed for 2 years because again, you still don't get shooters around him.  Bit explain it to me more simple so I can understand it.  

Nah, you're a smart guy...figure it out...

Mike Woodson will be retained or let go based on wins and losses, or in the event he does something illegal...

Y'all just gonna have to live with it...

Edited by IUFLA

We need to find another Kel'el Ware in the portal.  The Bible says love covers a multitude of sins.  Well, Ware covers a multitude of our problems.  Guards get burned?  Ware can alter shots.  Offense bogs down and we struggle to score?  Give it to Ware and let him take his man.  

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

We need to find another Kel'el Ware in the portal.  The Bible says love covers a multitude of sins.  Well, Ware covers a multitude of our problems.  Guards get burned?  Ware can alter shots.  Offense bogs down and we struggle to score?  Give it to Ware and let him take his man.  

Very solid point.  Replace Ware with an average or slightly above 6'8" guy and IU has even more losses this year.  I'm guessing below .500. He has been a huge difference maker. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, btownqb said:

How did we not get Ryan Conwell in the portal last year? A PIKE GRADUATE!!! 

The more I think about this, the more I want to throw up. We seriously were just like "yeah-- Gunn, Banks you're good enough.. heck who cares if Newton has one knee and we leave a scholly open."

Absolutely fireable decisions. 

Conwell- 16ppg 6r 2a 40% from 3 on 7 attempts a game.... instead of watching him play, we get to see Gunn shoot arrows and change his hairstyle every game. 

Agree.  He and Gunn are both Sophs out of Indy.  We picked the wrong one.  We do that a lot.

As a program, our scouting of in-state talent hasn’t been good enough.  If our coaching staff doesn’t have the energy to do the work or the eye to identify talent, then hire a personnel department who can evaluate talent get out there.  You can’t just let Matt Glenesk list the top 5 players in the state and then recruit off his list because the Indy Star anointed a few guys.

This isn’t just Woody although he inherited some of the prior staff too.  Gotta roll up the sleeves and find the Desmond Bane, Jake LaRavia, Craig Porter types who are all in the NBA from in-state schools yet we overlooked them.  It’s Braden Smith.  Matt Howard.  Bryant McIntosh.  We keep getting it wrong.  

Bob Knight figured out that he wanted Tom Coverdale and Brian Evans.  He went out of state to find a little known recruit named Kirk Haston. Our recent coaches wouldn’t have recruited any of these guys.  Overhaul player personnel.   

• Like 6

I have a theory that Archie Miller - perhaps overwhelmed by the Indiana job - knew at least that Indiana fans wanted players from the state, so he pulled up the rankings at 247 or Rivals and just went down the list. To be fair, he landed all those guys, but he couldn't fill in with anyone out of state, and they didn't make for very good teams.

Woodson seems to be stuck in an NBA comfort zone, thinking only guys with length and athleticism similar to what he's coached his whole will be able to help him win. You need players like Ware to hang banners, but you need to surround them with players like Leal to keep your team floating along in the regular season. Purdue bringing in 3-star, 328th ranked 6'1" Lance Jones from Southern Illinois might be why they get to their first Final Four in over 40 years.

With the availability of the portal, and the yearly turnover of rosters, I really do think any serious college program needs a GM role, to scout available talent, identify priorities, and make sure the pieces fit.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Agree.  He and Gunn are both Sophs out of Indy.  We picked the wrong one.  We do that a lot.

As a program, our scouting of in-state talent hasn’t been good enough.  If our coaching staff doesn’t have the energy to do the work or the eye to identify talent, then hire a personnel department who can evaluate talent get out there.  You can’t just let Matt Glenesk list the top 5 players in the state and then recruit off his list because the Indy Star anointed a few guys.

This isn’t just Woody although he inherited some of the prior staff too.  Gotta roll up the sleeves and find the Desmond Bane, Jake LaRavia, Craig Porter types who are all in the NBA from in-state schools yet we overlooked them.  It’s Braden Smith.  Matt Howard.  Bryant McIntosh.  We keep getting it wrong.  

Bob Knight figured out that he wanted Tom Coverdale and Brian Evans.  He went out of state to find a little known recruit named Kirk Haston. Our recent coaches wouldn’t have recruited any of these guys.  Overhaul player personnel.   

Brooks Barnhizer. Didn't shoot well today, but had 14 rebounds. Has had double digit rebounds 4 of the past 6 games. Swiss Army knife player. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I would argue we haven't developed those players and or taylored the team to fit the players we have gotten.  We keep trying to take high level square pegs and pound them in round holes.  Good coaches adjust to the talent they have.  

We could also just be unlucky a little in who we have selected (talent evaluation).  But more so i think we just have had good talent developing coaches..  

9 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I would argue we haven't developed those players and or taylored the team to fit the players we have gotten.  We keep trying to take high level square pegs and pound them in round holes.  Good coaches adjust to the talent they have.  

We could also just be unlucky a little in who we have selected (talent evaluation).  But more so i think we just have had good talent developing coaches..  

I think player development is 100% an issue and so is managing the trappings of being big man on campus which at IU is a special animal.  But we have consistently been mis-identifying in state talent for 20 years to the point that it’s not just luck or coincidence.  It’s not being handled right, and this far pre-dates Woody.

It’s not just in-state failures even though that’s the most acute issue.   Foreign talent acquisition is also a zero.  We need somebody in our player personnel group who needs to study Canada, Europe, Australia, etc   Heck, isn’t Tominaga literally from Japan?  I was reading about a 6’10 European kid in Canada.    Of course we aren’t listed with him.  We probably don’t know about him.   

It’s a department failure.  Yes, we spend a ton on recruiting.  This year we have exactly zero recruits.  The process needs to be overhauled.  When the head coach doesn’t get out and look at players, doesn’t know the names of on-campus visitors, etc., you need a player personnel department that is out looking at talent, figuring out that Conwell is better than Gunn even if Kyle Neddenriep doesn’t know it.  He’s a writer, not a scout.

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 4

51 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

I have a theory that Archie Miller - perhaps overwhelmed by the Indiana job - knew at least that Indiana fans wanted players from the state, so he pulled up the rankings at 247 or Rivals and just went down the list. To be fair, he landed all those guys, but he couldn't fill in with anyone out of state, and they didn't make for very good teams.

Woodson seems to be stuck in an NBA comfort zone, thinking only guys with length and athleticism similar to what he's coached his whole will be able to help him win. You need players like Ware to hang banners, but you need to surround them with players like Leal to keep your team floating along in the regular season. Purdue bringing in 3-star, 328th ranked 6'1" Lance Jones from Southern Illinois might be why they get to their first Final Four in over 40 years.

With the availability of the portal, and the yearly turnover of rosters, I really do think any serious college program needs a GM role, to scout available talent, identify priorities, and make sure the pieces fit.

Agree.  On the NBA issue, we would all like to have some of that talent.  But since the beginning of time there have been dominant college players who aren’t high level NBA players.  I haven’t gotten over Luke Harangody and Matt Howard.  Great college players.  We might have been happy that we signed Noah Vonleh but he wasn’t as good in college as those guys by comparison.  I want the right mix.   We have lacked that smart, tough, savvy Indiana boy.  We produce them like it’s an assembly line yet they aren’t being recruited by IU.  Sounds like Benter is in that mold.   It’s sheer insanity.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Some of yall are aiming way too low. Wait for the portal to open, there’s going to be some huge names and we have the money.

Guys like Domask and Ace Baldwin and many others have proven that good mid major players can fill very good roles up here.  I hope our staff has a much better handle on good, productive college players instead of the Anthony Walkers.  We were not involved with some of these guys but our competition was running circles around us in player identification.   

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Some of yall are aiming way too low. Wait for the portal to open, there’s going to be some huge names and we have the money.

I think that has been some of the problem. Aiming for ONLY the cream of the crop and striking out on all of them. Seems to be the same, be it in the portal or recruiting high school players.

• Like 1

Let’s say we get six new players.  There should be no more than 2 juniors. The most logical would be to bring 2 juniors, 2 sophs, and 2 freshmen.   Dolson will need to micromanage the roster makeup so the new staff in 2025 has a chance.  

PG

SG

CG

SF

SF

Rim protector 

Free throw shooting is a prerequisite.  Player skills should be complementary and not redundant. 

10 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Let’s say we get six new players.  There should be no more than 2 juniors. The most logical would be to bring 2 juniors, 2 sophs, and 2 freshmen.   Dolson will need to micromanage the roster makeup so the new staff in 2025 has a chance.  

PG

SG

CG

SF

SF

Rim protector 

Free throw shooting is a prerequisite.  Player skills should be complementary and not redundant. 

We did go 13-13 from the line today.LOL!

• Haha 2