2024 Transfer Portal

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

One thing about the portal is that there will be about 1000 entrants so buckle up for the long haul. One that has me more intrigued is the kid from UT Martin. Jacob Crews. 6'8 guard. 42% from 3. Looks like a Liam clone.

So, you're saying that there will be plenty of guards? 😎

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

It's going to drag on but I won't be a bit surprised to see a quick commit.  We have money, kids know it and we have minutes.  Hulls and Walsh are probably sifting through conversations as we speak, as they should.  Guys putting up points at bad small schools aren't the fish we want jumping in the boat but I some have already peaked my interest.  And remember the quote late summer, early fall about being way more prepared for the portal next year?  I would love for someone to explain to me what that means going forward.   

Portal doesn't open until the 18th 

29 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Oooo, legal tampering season or no?  So dumb.  I'm sure these dudes have heard from 100 schools already.

A lot of players have agents. So you don’t have to tamper and break a rule. Just talk to the agent. 

• Like 1

On 3/10/2024 at 5:52 PM, Hoosier4Life53 said:

He had 43 today in the ASUN championship game…5-9 from three.

He should be a no brainer, if he hits the portal. 

Asking my mentor about him now. He coached against him twice each year for last 3 years. Will provide feedback if I hear back.

Update from my mentor: He is very streaky…hot and cold. I think he is most successful as a volume guy. Not sure he can be very impactful if he is a 3rd option shooting 8 shots a game. He has as many 3-15 shooting game as he does 10-15 games. If you can live with the streaky results at the 8pt game to get the occasional 30pt game then it’s fine. He does a good job of creating shots and getting to the FT line most games. Also can’t guard his shadow. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

One thing about the portal is that there will be about 1000 entrants so buckle up for the long haul. One that has me more intrigued is the kid from UT Martin. Jacob Crews. 6'8 guard. 42% from 3. Looks like a Liam clone.

Anthony Wright on Twitter said people shouldn’t freak out about losing Liam because there will be lots of him that are the exact same as him but 3 years older. Already true.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

Anthony Wright on Twitter said people shouldn’t freak out about losing Liam because there will be lots of him that are the exact same as him but 3 years older. Already true.

This is way the portal and NIL have changed the game. Easy to fill holes in your roster. Taking experience players over one and done freshman really not a big deal. Meshing portal guys with 3 and 4 year players that you can develop is key. Would have like to had McNeely but certainly not  the killer to the season 

7 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

Agree all day and Ant is pretty solid. A year ago today nobody knew (except the 1%) who Dalton Knecht was.....there's another one or 5 out there.

9 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

Disagree with this on multiple levels.  The decommit says something and everyone should be listening.  It was also our only recruit for '24 and looked to be a proven player.  And lastly, while there is a possibility that there might be a 3 year older version of him in the portal, much like last year, none of them chose IU last year.  Its on the more unlikely side that those same level of players choose IU this year.  

I mean it could happen, but i am not putting all my chickens in the portal basket.

But we can hope.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

Have McNeely or his family commented publicly on his decommit yet?

I haven't seen anything... Not saying it's not true, because I know numerous outlets reported it, it's just that usually the recruit puts something out himself... 

13 minutes ago, 94hoosier said:

This is way the portal and NIL have changed the game. Easy to fill holes in your roster. Taking experience players over one and done freshman really not a big deal. Meshing portal guys with 3 and 4 year players that you can develop is key. Would have like to had McNeely but certainly not  the killer to the season 

I agree but my issue is we could’ve had love and knecht and instead ended up with Walker and sparks. Woodson botched that though so my concern isn’t the players being there it’s Woodson’s ability to close on guards.

9 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Disagree with this on multiple levels.  The decommit says something and everyone should be listening.  It was also our only recruit for '24 and looked to be a proven player.  And lastly, while there is a possibility that there might be a 3 year older version of him in the portal, much like last year, none of them chose IU last year.  Its on the more unlikely side that those same level of players choose IU this year.  

I mean it could happen, but i am not putting all my chickens in the portal basket.

But we can hope.

I completely agree. Also losing out on Liam it kinda screws up our pipeline to Montverde.

7 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Have McNeely or his family commented publicly on his decommit yet?

I haven't seen anything... Not saying it's not true, because I know numerous outlets reported it, it's just that usually the recruit puts something out himself... 

I haven’t seen anything