2024 Transfer Portal

2 hours ago, ledies22 said:

keep on posting. They have options. They can go somewhere else, or not read your posts, or take them as absolute. 

Thanks for your information.

There are 350 schools in D1 basketball and roughly a third of that in high major basketball.  Of course they have options...

1 hour ago, hoosierfan615 said:

Seems very short sighted and selfish and NOT in the best interest of IU basketball like Woodson says he’s all about. 

Me thinks if Dusty May doesn't take a different gig this year, there is a plan in motion.  Personally, I was hoping for the Painter year as an assistant thing, but Woodson has too big of an ego for that.  I think Woodson goes one more, then Dusty takes over.  Just my personal opinion based on nothing lol. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Woodson will be here until he dies on the court.  He isn't being fired, retiring or any other reason.  He will be our coach until the day he doesn't want to.  Regardless of how the seasons play out.

purgatory  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ThePaulieWalnuts said:

Going to need $8-10 million to make anything happen in the portal, especially if someone like Cupps gets that much, going to take a lot more to bring in people that can contribute to winning.

Cupps makes that money because he's the cute white boy heart throb.  Same as Galloway.  There are only a few fanbases that would provide the same type of NIL for those dudes.  Galloway might as a 5th year do it all glue guy to put you over the top portal addition but again, not many programs are going to pay him what he makes here.  Maybe 10 in the country would be my stab.  

Don't forget, Leal paid off his sister's student loans.  

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

FWIW-- a poster mentioned the Simons are going to equip Woodson with more NIL $$ to get more of who he wants in the portal. 

Hopefully that helps.  I'm just going to have to resign myself to the fact we are becoming a portal dependent program.  Hopefully Woody can find a way to make it work.  I"m not a fan of it, but I'm a fan of IU so I will be pulling for him to be successful with this. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, btownqb said:

FWIW-- a poster mentioned the Simons are going to equip Woodson with more NIL $$ to get more of who he wants in the portal. 

That's what's going on. Simons and Buckner weren't on board with a change so Woodson is back with a lot of NIL money. Basically IU is planning on buying a team in the portal. So we'll see what happens. What could go wrong?

• Haha 4

9 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

That's what's going on. Simons and Buckner weren't on board with a change so Woodson is back with a lot of NIL money. Basically IU is planning on buying a team in the portal. So we'll see what happens. What could go wrong?

we pull in 4 front players and a guard?

• Haha 5

11 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

we have an empty roster in '25 and need to buy 7 more players again

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

Cupps makes that money because he's the cute white boy heart throb.  Same as Galloway.  There are only a few fanbases that would provide the same type of NIL for those dudes.  Galloway might as a 5th year do it all glue guy to put you over the top portal addition but again, not many programs are going to pay him what he makes here.  Maybe 10 in the country would be my stab.  

Don't forget, Leal paid off his sister's student loans.  

I doubt most if Cupps money comes from NIL but more from social media

2 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Woodson will be here until he dies on the court.  He isn't being fired, retiring or any other reason.  He will be our coach until the day he doesn't want to.  Regardless of how the seasons play out.

Woodson was never coaching past his 6 year contract at most 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

What a terrible approach.  We need structure and a long term plan not a one year boon.   Not to mention this plan is fully reliant on getting players to come to IU.  Not sure this staff has the ability to do that based on last year.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Laughing because why wouldn’t you have just given him the money this past offseason so he could land the players he wanted/needed and put us in the best position to string back to back successful seasons? Now all the momentum built from last year has evaporated and Woody has to convince guys to come despite being on the hot seat, which will be brought up by other schools. 

Not to mention, not like you need all the money in the world to field a good team. You can field a top 25 team with just Indiana kids (see Purdue) or mid major guys (Domask, Jones, Knecht, Nelson, Dennis, Abmas, Baldwin, Battle, Estrada, Timberlake, etc) that don’t demand as much compensation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DC2345 said:

Two things 

1.  Even though I don’t agree with the plan or like the plan, it makes me feel better to know there is a plan. Like you said, we will see what happens. In spite of my personal feelings about it, I’m pulling like heck for it to work.  I am in the acceptance phase here. 

2.  As a Pacers fan as well, it kind of ticks me off. They’re generally cheap as crap with the Pacers. How about being some big spenders on the team you actually own?

Edited by Parakeet Jones

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

I grew up in Indiana idolizing the Hoosiers.  But, if I was a 20 year old elite college guard, and IU offered me more NIL money than any other school, I'm not taking it.  

As a guard, I would not want to play in this system or for the coaching staff that runs this system.  I would leave a few NIL dollars on the table to play in a system where I could succeed, even if pkaying for that team was my childhood dream.

Can IU overpay for a 2nd tier guard?  Sure they can.  But, how much does that help the team?

On the flip side, if I'm an athletic big like TJD and Ware, I'm begging this staff to take me.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I grew up in Indiana idolizing the Hoosiers.  But, if I was a 20 year old elite college guard, and IU offered me more NIL money than any other school, I'm not taking it.  

As a guard, I would not want to play in this system or for the coaching staff that runs this system.  I would leave a few NIL dollars on the table to play in a system where I could succeed, even if pkaying for that team was my childhood dream.

Can IU overpay for a 2nd tier guard?  Sure they can.  But, how much does that help the team?

On the flip side, if I'm an athletic big like TJD and Ware, I'm begging this staff to take me.

Money makes the world go round.  I. Not excited about Woody but with a crap ton of minutes and cash guards will come.  For many, it's reason 1 and 2.  

8 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

JHS disagrees with your take.

• Confused 1