2024 Transfer Portal

44 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

JHS disagrees with your take.

JHS didn't come from the transfer portal.  And, JHS didn't make his decision based o what we saw this season.  Two pretty critical factors to my point.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Money makes the world go round.  I. Not excited about Woody but with a crap ton of minutes and cash guards will come.  For many, it's reason 1 and 2.  

And, those players that make it both Reason 1 and Reason 2 are usually not winners.  

i mean, who doesn't like to have talent on their team?  i'm all for getting studs this off season.  will hopefully make next season bearable.  as i said before, does anyone think Woodson can take a group of Purdue type/level of kids and have a good year?  hell no.  he needs all the talent he can get.  that said, i still contend that it will be tough to bring in many that are as highly regarded as Taco or Ware were.  he has Liam.  gonna need at least one more stud and that's assuming Taco is back.  Reneau?  Galloway?  

12 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

And, those players that make it both Reason 1 and Reason 2 are usually not winners.  

A few booms, 2 bust that I can remember.  And that's with high school recruits.  That ship has sailed unless we can grab one more later this spring like we have 2 in a row.  

6 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

A few booms, 2 bust that I can remember.  And that's with high school recruits.  That ship has sailed unless we can grab one more later this spring like we have 2 in a row.  

My point is not against NIL.  My point is that, if I have a chance at a guard who wants to play at IU for a chance to win and to improve as a player versus a guard who is playing for the money, I want the guy who is looking to improve and win.  Problem is that type of guard may be reluctant to come to IU based on how the IU backcourt was utilized this year.   

• Like 6

4 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Cupps makes that money because he's the cute white boy heart throb.  Same as Galloway.  There are only a few fanbases that would provide the same type of NIL for those dudes.  Galloway might as a 5th year do it all glue guy to put you over the top portal addition but again, not many programs are going to pay him what he makes here.  Maybe 10 in the country would be my stab.  

Don't forget, Leal paid off his sister's student loans.  

Just an fyi cupps gets the money because he a lot of followers prior to come to IU because of his relationship with bron and bronny. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

My point is not against NIL.  My point is that, if I have a chance at a guard who wants to play at IU for a chance to win and to improve as a player versus a guard who is playing for the money, I want the guy who is looking to improve and win.  Problem is that type of guard may be reluctant to come to IU based on how the IU backcourt was utilized this year.   

you know i love old school, but i just don't think that's how it works any more.  the kids who just want to go to IU and just improve and not worried about the money aren't good enough to help us.  

4 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

you know i love old school, but i just don't think that's how it works any more.  the kids who just want to go to IU and just improve and not worried about the money aren't good enough to help us.  

Yep…they all go to Purdue and have them ranked #1 seed in tournament.

Marcus Greene...6'2 dynamic scoring PG entered the portal today. 43% from 3. 

One other thing I saw last night and maybe someone closer to the situation can explain. AJ Storr kissed the court when he was done. He said he was just doing it for Wahl but someone to keep an eye on along with 500 others. 

55 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Marcus Greene...6'2 dynamic scoring PG entered the portal today. 43% from 3. 

One other thing I saw last night and maybe someone closer to the situation can explain. AJ Storr kissed the court when he was done. He said he was just doing it for Wahl but someone to keep an eye on along with 500 others. 

He’s shopping for 💰💰💰

17 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Cool. We have it. Let's roll.

Honest question: what makes you think you can assemble a winning roster by just recruiting a cast of players who left their prior schools in search of big paydays? The problems with that approach seem abundantly evident to me.

Edited by IUProfessor
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, IUProfessor said:

Honest question: what makes you think you can assemble a winning roster by just recruiting a cast of players who left their prior schools in search of big paydays? The problems with that approach seem abundantly evident to me.

Because our Coach has 30 years experience of dealing with players who have been or looked for money in the NBA. He also knows this is it so motivation to make this work is high....but again I won't know the final answer until we know who is coming back.

This doesn't have to be a hard fix if the right 3-4 guys come back. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Problem with these early entry into the portal guys is they all come from very poor losing programs we need some winners.

I want guys who come from winning programs and know what it takes to win. You look at our guys from the portal mist came from losing programs. I think Walker is the only one who came from a winning program.

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I want guys who come from winning programs and know what it takes to win. You look at our guys from the portal mist came from losing programs. I think Walker is the only one who came from a winning program.

And he barely played.  There was a lot of WTF moments last years portal.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

This is the type of guy that transfers to Wisconsin, Illinois or Iowa, and absolutely kills us.

I may be wrong, but I think part of the problem with our recruiting is that we focus too much on 5 stars, and ignore guys like this. Maybe we’ll get to the point again where we have our pick of the “elite” talent, but we’re nowhere near that right now.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 3/7/2024 at 6:00 PM, 5fouls said:

My friend i'm not sure your first guy is out there anymore sadly... i will quote Coach Prime, "even the 2 star players are looking for a bag!!! Every body wants a bag now."

Edited by Indykev
  • Sad 1