2024/2025 portal/late decommits IU is interested in

3 hours ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Only one year of eligibility remaining. We can’t take too many of those types. 

Why not...you don't want to 2-3 year guys. You end up with Sparks. You are supposed to bring in High school guys to. We just don't have any. 

1 hour ago, Parakeet Jones said:

If we’re going down the portal hole, I hope we take the Cignetti approach. Get productive guys from a lower level rather than  guys who are disgruntled or didn’t play much on P5’s. I suppose Foster fits that bill. 

I agree at certain positions but it will be heavily dependent on scouting.  You don’t want Parker Stewart but you do want the right guys but the staff has to dig deep.  Personally I would not compromise on defense.  

Presumably we already have very detailed analysis on anybody who was a possibility for the portal so that we wouldn’t need to scramble.   With an excellent process we are set right now to be decisive on who we pursue hard and in the right order.  

We need everything but high end point guard is mandatory.  No shot without that. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I agree at certain positions but it will be heavily dependent on scouting.  You don’t want Parker Stewart but you do want the right guys but the staff has to dig deep.  Personally I would not compromise on defense.  

Presumably we already have very detailed analysis on anybody who was a possibility for the portal so that we wouldn’t need to scramble.   With an excellent process we are set right now to be decisive on who we pursue hard and in the right order.  

We need everything but high end point guard is mandatory.  No shot without that. 

Perhaps that was the problem. CMW was so focused on advanced scouting of the portal that there wasn't any time to teach fundamentals like dribbling, blocking out, protecting the basketball, defensive rotations, ball movement, transition defense, free throw shooting, passing out of double and triple teams, taking short threes instead of long twos, moving feet and not reaching or committing silly fouls 60' from the basket**takes a breath**, understanding screens and how to get around them, communicating, properly executing entry passes...

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

18 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

How does that fit with spending the summer watching film on players?

From a talent standpoint, this summer will be spent watching a lot of film on players because we're going to lose some players, I'm sure, and we're going to have to build around the core guys that are coming back. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

Perhaps that was the problem. CMW was so focused on advanced scouting of the portal that there wasn't any time to teach fundamentals like dribbling, blocking out, protecting the basketball, defensive rotations, ball movement, transition defense, free throw shooting, passing out of double and triple teams, taking short threes instead of long twos, moving feet and not reaching or committing silly fouls 60' from the basket**takes a breath**, understanding screens and how to get around them, communicating, properly executing entry passes...

You missed teaching big men to go up straight instead of reaching with their hands and committing fouls. 

38 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

How does that fit with spending the summer watching film on players?

From a talent standpoint, this summer will be spent watching a lot of film on players because we're going to lose some players, I'm sure, and we're going to have to build around the core guys that are coming back. 

Hopefully it’s to fine tune and confirm heavy scouting where the heavy lifting has been done.  There’s no reason why you couldn’t have dossiers on high school kids and then follow through on them year after year when you’re in a portal era.   You could easily have a full time admin guy (“gm”) with a staff of grad assistants who are dirt cheap but want to pay their dues to become a scout.  You would be scouring every conference in the country for the few bubbling up who are worthy of discussion.   Make your broad lists and whittle it down.  If you’re identifying guys now off their basketball reference page it’s way too late.  The competition would have mash ups ready on how the player would be used.  This isn’t 1985 where the school owns the player.