2024/2025 portal/late decommits IU is interested in

40 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

My least favorite effect of a losing season is the compulsion some feel to then shit all over absolutely everything connected to the program. As though there is nothing of worth to be found from the wreckage. Some of y'all need to be better at holding two thoughts in your head at the same time.

We're calling for Malik Reneau to transfer? Really? The kid has flaws in his game, sure. This is college, everyone does. He'll be the first to tell you he fouls too much, as anyone who saw his post game interview can attest. He's also just a sophomore, took a leap last year, and there's no reason think he won't continue improving. Already he was comfortably our second best player last season. If you're worrying about all the spots we have to fill in the portal, why would you want that guy to leave?

There are rumors Malik might transfer, and it's because he's getting serious offers from other schools. Programs that see the value he has and believe he can contribute to winning. But y'all want to cut him loose, I guess because we lost a lot of games in a season where everyone knew our backcourt was going to be a concern. You want players who stick at Indiana for multiple seasons? You want players who develop and improve? Then you want Malik Reneau.

Great post

50 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

My least favorite effect of a losing season is the compulsion some feel to then shit all over absolutely everything connected to the program. As though there is nothing of worth to be found from the wreckage. Some of y'all need to be better at holding two thoughts in your head at the same time.

We're calling for Malik Reneau to transfer? Really? The kid has flaws in his game, sure. This is college, everyone does. He'll be the first to tell you he fouls too much, as anyone who saw his post game interview can attest. He's also just a sophomore, took a leap last year, and there's no reason think he won't continue improving. Already he was comfortably our second best player last season. If you're worrying about all the spots we have to fill in the portal, why would you want that guy to leave?

There are rumors Malik might transfer, and it's because he's getting serious offers from other schools. Programs that see the value he has and believe he can contribute to winning. But y'all want to cut him loose, I guess because we lost a lot of games in a season where everyone knew our backcourt was going to be a concern. You want players who stick at Indiana for multiple seasons? You want players who develop and improve? Then you want Malik Reneau.

Agree.  I remember when everyone was done with Crean I pointed out his ability to identify lower-rated talent and project it to this level.  Guys like Anunoby.  My point was the same as yours, that things are not so black and white.   But I got shot down by others who just didn’t want to hear it because people lost confidence in him.  You see that now with Woody and things like player development.  Some don’t want to give him any credit for TJD (even when TJD himself does) or Galloway as an initiator etc.  

But, I would say that this is hardly anything particular to IU fans and it is part of human nature.  In the “real world” I have seen the same concept repeatedly.  Once an employer loses confidence in an employee, it’s like they can’t do anything right or need severe micromanagement.  

While I agree that once someone is struggling, that doesn’t mean every single thing is terrible.  But human nature is that once people lose confidence in you, and especially after you alienate a huge chunk of the constituents, as happened here, it’s a huge upset to regain trust and confidence.  It’s not an IU thing, it’s human.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Then he really shouldn’t play much IMO. Doesn’t really fit. Give me this guy from Stanford and tell Reneau he needs to find another home. Can’t have a guy his size that doesn’t rebound, doesn’t play D, turns it over like crazy, and doesn’t shoot it well from outside of 5 ft. 

MR: 15.4 pts, 6 rebs, 2.7 ast, 2.8 TO, 68% FT, 59% FG on 11 attempts/gm, 33% 3p on 45 attempts, ORtg 109.2, DRtg 109

Raynaud: 15.5 pts, 9.6 rebs, 2.0 ast, 2.5 TO, 78% FT, 57% FG on 11 attempts/gm, 36% 3pt on 61 attempts, ORtg 113, DRtg 103

4 hours ago, DC2345 said:

Reneau. That was a typo. Reneau is undersized, doesn't rebound well enough, isn't a rim protector and is in constant foul trouble. If he's the starting 5 then IU will most likely be worse than they were this year in the B1G.

Correct…I don’t think Reneau is winning type of player. He is good in the post but his game doesn’t translate to success on the floor because he is a minus defender and rebounder…and you can’t play him at the 4. I’d prefer he move on honestly but if he is going to stay…he will have to learn to rebound and play the 5 with a lot more effort on the defensive end. That or he play the backup 5. It just is what it is with him.  I get it he is one of the few players on this team that can create his own shot but that doesn’t make him a winning player. Some just are high usage and best option on a poor offense.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The issue with Reneau is overall fit, not offensive statistics. If Reneau could defend the 5 then he'd be a no brainer building block given his offensive prowess. The problem is that -- rightly or wrongly -- the widely held perception is that he can't be a quality defender and rebounder at the 5 without consistently being in foul trouble. Thus, Woodson feels compelled to pair him with a rim protector. But covering Reneau defensively like that not only exposes him against 4s on defense, but also clogs up the offense with two post players.

Again, Reneau is a fantastic scorer. I don't think anyone is denying that. Some just question whether he can be part of a championship level team given his other shortcomings, especially given how Woodson seems determined to use him.

Edited by IUProfessor
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

But, I would say that this anything particular to IU fans and it is part of human nature.  In the “real world” I have seen the same concept repeatedly.  Once an employer loses confidence in an employee it’s like they can’t do anything right or need severe micromanagement.  

That kind of attitude has ruined a many good thing! Take this board for instance, it seems about 2/3rds of the board have lost confidence in being able interact without the never ending smearing going on! The only ones left are the smear Queens and those who will support IU no matter how bad it gets.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Drroogh said:

That kind of attitude has ruined a many good thing! Take this board for instance, it seems about 2/3rds of the board have lost confidence in being able interact without the never ending smearing going on! The only ones left are the smear Queens and those who will support IU no matter how bad it gets.

This board is exactly like all the other IU boards…and it’s a direct correlation to IU athletics…all that is left is the hard core fans…so good and bad extremes are the likely result. Any “normal” “regular” fan has long since lost interest in anything IU. The school athletics just aren’t relevant for them to be engaged…so here we are…with only us crazies left to care.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, IUProfessor said:

The issue with Reneau is overall fit, not offensive statistics. If Reneau could defend the 5 then he'd be a no brainer building block given his offensive prowess. The problem is that -- rightly or wrongly -- the widely held perception is that he can't be a quality defender and rebounder at the 5 without consistently being in foul trouble. Thus, Woodson feels compelled to pair him with a rim protector. But covering Reneau defensively like that not only exposes him against 4s on defense, but also clogs up the offense with two post players.

Again, Reneau is a fantastic scorer. I don't think anyone is denying that. Some just question whether he can be part of a championship level team given his other shortcomings, especially given how Woodson seems determined to use him.

Well said. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, IUProfessor said:

TJD has issues being the #5 defender in the B1G many of times.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Where do the people that always want to tell others how to think fall in? Is that the smear Queens?

1 hour ago, ledies22 said:

TJD has issues being the #5 defender in the B1G many of times.

TJD’s motor, effort on the boards, and effort on D was never where MR was this past year. I don’t dislike MR the person one bit, although the constant whining about fouls drives me insane. I just don’t think he fits the modern style of basketball we should be playing. He in no way or form should be a 4, but he doesn’t rebound or protect the rim well enough (maybe an effort issue? Not sure) to play the 5. That’s my beef. It’s a conundrum that will hamper us again next year IMO. The conundrum will look a lot less damaging IF we can add 3-4 shooters to the team, but nonetheless I don’t see where he fits. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

TJD’s motor, effort on the boards, and effort on D was never where MR was this past year. I don’t dislike MR the person one bit, although the constant whining about fouls drives me insane. I just don’t think he fits the modern style of basketball we should be playing. He in no way or form should be a 4, but he doesn’t rebound or protect the rim well enough (maybe an effort issue? Not sure) to play the 5. That’s my beef. It’s a conundrum that will hamper us again next year IMO. The conundrum will look a lot less damaging IF we can add 3-4 shooters to the team, but nonetheless I don’t see where he fits. 

I dont disagree with that. But we do have to remember MR was only a sophomore after not much PT freshman year. Of course there are things for him to work on, but i dont think anyone had MR putting up some of the stats he did this year.

Its extremely hard for me to throw away MR when the cupboards are already bare. By all means, if we can recruit over him, so be it. to me no one is safe from last year including the managers. 

• Like 2

I want Reneau back. He made big strides from his 1st year to his 2nd year, even if it unraveled a bit down the stretch. Foul less, sure. Also I'd like to see him pass out of the double-team more often and more effectively instead of going 1 on 2 or 1 on 3 so much, although the running theory in my head all season was he did that due to knowing we did not have shooters.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ledies22 said:

MR: 15.4 pts, 6 rebs, 2.7 ast, 2.8 TO, 68% FT, 59% FG on 11 attempts/gm, 33% 3p on 45 attempts, ORtg 109.2, DRtg 109

Raynaud: 15.5 pts, 9.6 rebs, 2.0 ast, 2.5 TO, 78% FT, 57% FG on 11 attempts/gm, 36% 3pt on 61 attempts, ORtg 113, DRtg 103

A +0.2 net ratings vs a +10 net rating is a pretty huge difference. Granted, individual defensive ratings are very noisy, but that plus rebounding are the biggest weaknesses for MR

Walker has two years of eligibility left. I like that. I’m not going to pretend I know anything about these guys we have reached out to, but he seems like he would be a nice piece to add. 

You know one thing that I find encouraging about him, and I might be completely out to lunch on this, he is 6’1”. That’s a smaller guard than Woody has seemed to pursue in the past. Maybe he is broadening his thinking about what we need and adapting. At least that is my hope. 

• Like 1