2024/2025 portal/late decommits IU is interested in

1 minute ago, DC2345 said:

To me there are ways to handle all of that offensively but not with Woodson's stone age offense. 

agreed.  i get that you have to make some promises when recruiting.  however, you can also explain why you need to switch it up some here and there, etc.  should be able to sell that to them as the coach.  

26 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

it is quite the conundrum.  Reneau is better suited offensively as the 5 but defensively as the 4. and doesn't want to play the 5.   Mtaco is better suited as a 4, but doesn't want to play there.  is Galloway really a 2?  or a 1?  ugh.  here we go again.  still think Taco isn't back though.  

How about we put Reneau in the portal, no more issue, on to the next issue.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DC2345 said:

Reneau. That was a typo. Reneau is undersized, doesn't rebound well enough, isn't a rim protector and is in constant foul trouble. If he's the starting 5 then IU will most likely be worse than they were this year in the B1G.

Then he really shouldn’t play much IMO. Doesn’t really fit. Give me this guy from Stanford and tell Reneau he needs to find another home. Can’t have a guy his size that doesn’t rebound, doesn’t play D, turns it over like crazy, and doesn’t shoot it well from outside of 5 ft. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Then he really shouldn’t play much IMO. Doesn’t really fit. Give me this guy from Stanford and tell Reneau he needs to find another home. Can’t have a guy his size that doesn’t rebound, doesn’t play D, turns it over like crazy, and doesn’t shoot it well from outside of 5 ft. 

Not happening. He's Woodson's favorite. In fact with offer he has right now he will be over payed if he comes back

Just now, DC2345 said:

Not happening. He's Woodson's favorite. In fact with offer he has right now he will be over payed if he comes back

Then we have zero shot to do anything special next year. MR is a one trick pony. If Woodson values him that much, then he truly is clueless.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Which leads to a question I have been pondering, are we going to overpay so much to bring guys back that it hampers what we have to use in the portal?  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Not that I want MR gone (because he has a lot of raw skill and I don’t think our staff can handle landing 8+ Impact portal players) but he needs at the very least to accept backup minutes at the 5. TJD is doing fine in the NBA so it shows MR can be successful too if he works on adding a motor and athleticism this off-season. That seems more manageable/attainable than expecting him to start shooting perimeter jumpers and beating guys off the bounce facing the basket regularly. 

If our staff is adamant on playing him 35+ minutes at the 4, they will struggle getting enough guards/wings to want to play in that type of scheme. 

16 minutes ago, Indykev said:

“He is a winner and absolutely the toughest player on the floor.”

For his career at Chipola, Albury guided the Indians to a 59-11 overall record, two conference titles, two trips to the NJCAA National Tournament, and a Region 8 State Championship.

"Deyton is first and foremost a competitor," said Chipola Head Coach Donnie Tyndall. "He is a tough hard-nosed very versatile player that can play and defend multiple positions!

https://queensathletics.com/news/2023/4/27/mens-basketball-royals-land-standout-guard-deyton-albury.aspx

1 minute ago, Maedhros said:

My least favorite effect of a losing season is the compulsion some feel to then shit all over absolutely everything connected to the program. As though there is nothing of worth to be found from the wreckage. Some of y'all need to be better at holding two thoughts in your head at the same time.

We're calling for Malik Reneau to transfer? Really? The kid has flaws in his game, sure. This is college, everyone does. He'll be the first to tell you he fouls too much, as anyone who saw his post game interview can attest. He's also just a sophomore, took a leap last year, and there's no reason think he won't continue improving. Already he was comfortably our second best player last season. If you're worrying about all the spots we have to fill in the portal, why would you want that guy to leave?

There are rumors Malik might transfer, and it's because he's getting serious offers from other schools. Programs that see the value he has and believe he can contribute to winning. But y'all want to cut him loose, I guess because we lost a lot of games in a season where everyone knew our backcourt was going to be a concern. You want players who stick at Indiana for multiple seasons? You want players who develop and improve? Then you want Malik Reneau.

i pretty much agree with you, but not that Malik would be the first to admit he fouls too much.  i don't think Malik believes he has ever committed a foul.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

“He is a winner and absolutely the toughest player on the floor.”

For his career at Chipola, Albury guided the Indians to a 59-11 overall record, two conference titles, two trips to the NJCAA National Tournament, and a Region 8 State Championship.

"Deyton is first and foremost a competitor," said Chipola Head Coach Donnie Tyndall. "He is a tough hard-nosed very versatile player that can play and defend multiple positions!

https://queensathletics.com/news/2023/4/27/mens-basketball-royals-land-standout-guard-deyton-albury.aspx

That ASUN conf. has some head turners.

4 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

My least favorite effect of a losing season is the compulsion some feel to then shit all over absolutely everything connected to the program. As though there is nothing of worth to be found from the wreckage. Some of y'all need to be better at holding two thoughts in your head at the same time.

We're calling for Malik Reneau to transfer? Really? The kid has flaws in his game, sure. This is college, everyone does. He'll be the first to tell you he fouls too much, as anyone who saw his post game interview can attest. He's also just a sophomore, took a leap last year, and there's no reason think he won't continue improving. Already he was comfortably our second best player last season. If you're worrying about all the spots we have to fill in the portal, why would you want that guy to leave?

There are rumors Malik might transfer, and it's because he's getting serious offers from other schools. Programs that see the value he has and believe he can contribute to winning. But y'all want to cut him loose, I guess because we lost a lot of games in a season where everyone knew our backcourt was going to be a concern. You want players who stick at Indiana for multiple seasons? You want players who develop and improve? Then you want Malik Reneau.

I agree with you. Everything does need shit all over. i'm too stupid to think otherwise.

the-waterboy-the.gif

mike-woodson-dissapointed.gif

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i pretty much agree with you, but not that Malik would be the first to admit he fouls too much.  i don't think Malik believes he has ever committed a foul.   

Every player reacts that way on the court. This is Reneau after the season ended to Nebraska. I'm rooting for this kid:

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

Every player reacts that way on the court. This is Reneau after the season ended to Nebraska. I'm rooting for this kid:

again, i am a fan of MR.  i will have to disagree that he isn't excessive in his reaction to every single foul.  that annoys me and every IU fan that i know.  maybe not you?  other than that, i hope he is back personally.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

TJD: 19.1 pts, 9 rebs, 1.4 ast, 2.2 TO, 65% FT, 51% FG% on 13 attempts

MR: 15.4 pts, 6 rebs, 2.7 ast, 2.8 TO, 68% FT, 59% FG% on 11 attempts, 33% 3pt

Both sophomore years. Do we forget that MR is a sophomore. Are MR expectation too high to even reach? WTF are we talking about?

Edited by ledies22
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1