2024/2025 portal/late decommits IU is interested in

8 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

Maybe Conwell is butt hurt we didn’t go after him sooner as in previous years, high school, beginning of portal this year. 

Maybe it’s because he’s a high volume 3 point shooter and we don’t shoot 3’s at a high volume. He averaged a little over 7 attempts per game. In comparison, our highest volume shooter from 3 was MM; he averaged 4.6 attempts.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Maybe it’s because he’s a high volume 3 point shooter and we don’t shoot 3’s at a high volume. He averaged a little over 7 attempts per game. In comparison, our highest volume shooter from 3 was MM; he averaged 4.6 attempts.

Of all the things, i dont think that's it.

Conwell: "I want to shoot 7 threes a game."

Woody: "Nope. You're only allowed 2."

• Haha 6

5 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Probably part of the negative recruiting DC2345 referenced

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

IU doesn't make any sense for Conwell now for what he's looking for not to mention there is negative recruiting going against IU when it comes to the other teams involved with him. The reality is that Rice, Carlyle, Galloway, Mgbako, and Tucker will all be getting a lot of minutes and that's not counting any other guards/wings that will get minutes. IU will add a shooter or 2 but it won't be someone at the level of Conwell that's looking for a place to best set him up for an NBA opportunity. 

That's fine. I'd prefer Carlyle for the starting 2 guard spot, anyway. I think the whole of the INST project was greater than the parts. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, IUProfessor said:

Is that because IU prioritized Carlyle over Conwell? Or did IU prioritize Carlyle only once it was apparent there wasn't going to be traction with Conwell?

A bird in the hand is greater than 2 in the bush. Plus Carlyle is more proven at the high major level. People like to think he'll translate alright but nobody really knows for sure. Plus things got moving with Carlyle quicker. 

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

3 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

That would be correct

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, IUProfessor said:

Is that because IU prioritized Carlyle over Conwell? Or did IU prioritize Carlyle only once it was apparent there wasn't going to be traction with Conwell?

I think Kanaan prioritized Indiana. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

7 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

3 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

That would be correct

I don't know if it's accurate, but there was some chatter that Hickman had concerns with IU's offense and his visit didn't dispel those concerns.

12 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

It’s not rocket science and it’s not some devious conspiracy. Just show him the stat sheet. He knows Ballo is coming in, thus the ball will be going into the post a lot. He knows he’d be sharing what’s left of those attempts with Mgbako.

He’s at the top of my wish list, but that’s all it is at this point: a wish.

This is just the way Woody plays. I’m sure they want the high volume/high percentage 3 point shooters many of us crave, but based on history and how our line up is shaping up, it’s going to be a hard sell.  

And it will continue to be a hard sell. 

Edited by tdhoosier
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

I don't know if it's accurate, but there was some chatter that Hickman had concerns with IU's offense and his visit didn't dispel those concerns.

Did he visit? Or did the staff go to his house because he lives in Bloomington?

Either way, he went elsewhere. 

Edited by tdhoosier

Came across these numbers while researching a different post. I'm excited for what Mackenzie Mgbako can do as a shooter with a full season under his belt. Turns out he and Carlyle share a crazy similar profile. Across three point percentage, attempts per game, attempts per 40 minutes, and percentage of field goal attempts that are taken from three, the two players are damn near identical. 

image.png.32fa01a4ceca2c1566df5ad74e0d829e.png

I haven't seen Carlyle play, but adding another Mgbako, plus that scouting report above, plus whatever he becomes as a sophomore, has me excited for what Carlyle can do for our spacing.

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

He did have offense concerns but his biggest thing was role and Drew Adams relationship that already existed

• Like 2

From ESPN on 4/15. Still looking for that elusive knockdown shooter.

Indiana landed Rice, looking for others in portal

Mike Woodson is wasting no time rebuilding his roster after a down year in Bloomington. The Hoosiers already landed Washington State's Myles Rice, one of the best point guards in the portal.

Outlook: They're also expected to host Stanford's Kanaan Carlyle for a visit this week. Carlyle is a former top-50 recruit capable of explosive performances. Neither Rice nor Carlyle is a knockdown shooter, but Indiana is also pursuing Connor Hickman (Bradley) and Ryan Conwell (Indiana State) to fill that role.

21 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I think the whole of the INST project was greater than the parts. 

That is the impression I got from watching them. Individually they were good, but not great. It was how they worked together that was impressive.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

Came across these numbers while researching a different post. I'm excited for what Mackenzie Mgbako can do as a shooter with a full season under his belt. Turns out he and Carlyle share a crazy similar profile. Across three point percentage, attempts per game, attempts per 40 minutes, and percentage of field goal attempts that are taken from three, the two players are damn near identical. 

image.png.32fa01a4ceca2c1566df5ad74e0d829e.png

I haven't seen Carlyle play, but adding another Mgbako, plus that scouting report above, plus whatever he becomes as a sophomore, has me excited for what Carlyle can do for our spacing.

One other thing to note, Carlyle shot 42% from 3 in his first 12 games (he missed the first 8 games of the season due to academic reasons) and only 21% in his last 11 games...maybe another "freshman wall" thing, and there are questions surrounding his shot selection, but he sounds and looks like (limited highlights) a really good player with an enormous upside...he's already on some NBA draft boards...

Edited by IUFLA

12 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

One other thing to note, Carlyle shot 42% from 3 in his first 12 games (he missed the first 8 games of the season due to academic reasons) and only 21% in his last 11 games...maybe another "freshman wall" thing, and there are questions surrounding his shot selection, but he sounds and looks like (limited highlights) a really good player with an enormous upside...he's already on some NBA draft boards...

Kanaan was also very good (for a Pw5 FR) in catch and shoot/spot up opportunities. That was his strength, he struggled to be a lead guard, on a bad team, as a FR. 

• Like 1

The fan reaction to Connor Essegian intrigues me. As a freshman he was a 36% shooter from three, on over 5 shots per game. The label of knockdown shooter was born.

But last year he was only 30%. His minutes fell way off, but his 3P attempt rate actually went up, as though he knew he was in there to do one thing.

So if he commits here, will we think we're getting the starter with good shooting percentage? Or are we getting the bench player who couldn't find that rhythm? Always fascinates me who gets called a Shooter and who doesn't.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

The fan reaction to Connor Essegian intrigues me. As a freshman he was a 36% shooter from three, on over 5 shots per game. The label of knockdown shooter was born.

But last year he was only 30%. His minutes fell way off, but his 3P attempt rate actually went up, as though he knew he was in there to do one thing.

So if he commits here, will we think we're getting the starter with good shooting percentage? Or are we getting the bench player who couldn't find that rhythm? Always fascinates me who gets called a Shooter and who doesn't.

Essegian was apparently dealing with a back injury much of the year last year.  If that was the case, that certainly could have impacted his playing time and performance.  I certainly believe he is better than his percentage last year. 

• Like 2