Oumar Ballo, Commits to INDIANA

3 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Ballo will be free for lobs or put backs. That's exactly Ballo's game.

I don't quote Dickie V all that often, but Ballo does fit the definition of a Windex man perfectly.  Keeping the glass clear and cleaning up the messes around the rim. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Officer Obie said:

It's a really short and easy drive from Indianapolis to Bloomington, Caitlin. Maybe, when you can spare a minute or two, you can drive south and teach the boys how to put the ball in the hoop... 

🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

I don't quote Dickie V all that often, but Ballo does fit the definition of a Windex man perfectly.  Keeping the glass clear and cleaning up the messes around the rim. 

I asked a page or two back if Ballo fit the description of glass cleaner, thanks for clarifying.😂

5 minutes ago, Officer Obie said:

It's a really short and easy drive from Indianapolis to Bloomington, Caitlin. Maybe, when you can spare a minute or two, you can drive south and teach the boys how to put the ball in the hoop... 

Would she start at Bloomington South? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kdug said:

Number of attempts matters. I don’t think anyone would argue that IU had two sharpshooters last year because Ware and Leal made 40%+ of their threes at low volume. Teams weren’t particularly concerned with Ware shooting threes, despite the high percentage, because he didn’t do it very often. IMO, a 35% shooter that shot 150 threes is better than a 45% shooter who shot 40.

I also think Purdue in particular has a little bit of an inflated 3% all around due to how much attention Edey drew. Plug those guys into most other teams, and they don’t get nearly as many clean looks.

Volume does matter. However, the 40% shooter isn't as elusive as it appears. They are just concentrated on teams that made a concerted effort to recruit and develop shooters. We already talked about Purdue. However, KY had four, Baylor had three, Northwestern had three, Dayton had two plus another at 39%, Duke had three, Colorado had three, etc. All of those players had significant attempts (a couple were below 100). 

4 hours ago, Maedhros said:

Having two excellent post players wasn't our problem last year, and won't be this year. The issue was we offered next to nothing in the backcourt to balance them out. Adding Rice and Carlyle, with Mgbako, Galloway and Tucker on the wing, has real potential to change that dynamic.

Having 2 players in the post that have no outside games clogs the inside and replacing Ware with Ballo makes that issue even worse than it was last season.   

4 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

This is what I'm hoping for.  If Reneau can float between the low post, mid range and occasionally step out for a 3, we're in good shape and could play him and Ballo together without any issues.  I don't expect Reneau to be a 3 point sniper, but if he can step out and at least make the defense respect his shot, he's going to be a major asset. 

So basically if Reneau turned into MM?

I like Reneau in the post on offense but his defense and rebounding wouldn’t be good enough, as of now at least.   He can also improve his passing.   

Ballo from what I saw (not a ton, mind you) can come out and hunt screens.  That might be a clever way to give Reneau space inside.   
But on D he can be essential.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno

4 hours ago, iuswingman said:

Having 2 players in the post that have no outside games clogs the inside and replacing Ware with Ballo makes that issue even worse than it was last season.   

If ballo will pass out. Force Mr to also.  And the lane is clogged, where did those clogging hairballs come from? Maybe, possibly, … from the back line?, outside defenders who now are n”clogging” the lane, are not defending shooters! 
Clogging the lane, is a good thing, if the front lane passes and we take back court shots. 
if opponents don’t “clog the lane”, MR, Mtaco, Ballo eat all day every day. 

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to OB and his family. Congrats to CMW and staff. 

Watched the highlight reels again. OB is a monster. IU hasn't had this combo of size, strength, and ability in a long time. I do think we need to acknowledge what he brings to the table.

He's a space eater. An old school big. He seals the defender and finishes. He's not bouncy. If he gets near the basket with his feet under him he'll dunk the ball and his opponent, but he won't be a TJD who can jump twice before the defender gets off the floor once.

On defense, he will wall up. The opponent is going to bounce off of him before he gives ground. Still, he doesn't rack up fouls like someone we know. If you go right at him he can block a shot but he's typically not going to cover wide areas. Again, he's not TJD who erases his teammates mistakes all over the place. A different type of athlete, but still impressive for his size.

IU still has work to do. If OB or MR miss time it really puts them in a tough spot. They need someone with size who can defend and help on the glass as insurance. If nothing else you need five more fouls to work with in an emergency.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Euroclydon said:

Welcome to OB and his family. Congrats to CMW and staff. 

Watched the highlight reels again. OB is a monster. IU hasn't had this combo of size, strength, and ability in a long time. I do think we need to acknowledge what he brings to the table.

He's a space eater. An old school big. He seals the defender and finishes. He's not bouncy. If he gets near the basket with his feet under him he'll dunk the ball and his opponent, but he won't be a TJD who can jump twice before the defender gets off the floor once.

On defense, he will wall up. The opponent is going to bounce off of him before he gives ground. Still, he doesn't rack up fouls like someone we know. If you go right at him he can block a shot but he's typically not going to cover wide areas. Again, he's not TJD who erases his teammates mistakes all over the place. A different type of athlete, but still impressive for his size.

IU still has work to do. If OB or MR miss time it really puts them in a tough spot. They need someone with size who can defend and help on the glass as insurance. If nothing else you need five more fouls to work with in an emergency.

We need one more big to put on the bench to cover for MR nad OB

• Like 1