Oumar Ballo, Commits to INDIANA

56 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Not a lot, but Purdue had five: Smith, Loyer, Gillis, Colvin & Heide

And I was only asking for 3. (Actually I meant to say 3-4 "good shooters", not necessarily 40% guys, but I'd take it.) After all, if you are serious about winning a Natty, you need more than one good shooter.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

So how many players actually shot over 40% this year in college basketball 

Around 40 based on what another poster said in the Fire Mike Woodson thread. Oh that rhymed lmao. 

edit decided not to be lazy and it's 36. Back to being a bum now.

Edited by SawatchHoosier
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

What good is a 40% shooter if they don’t shoot. How many of those averaged more than 4 attempts a game. 

And if all you need are 40% 3 pt shooters to win, why didn’t Gillis, Colvin, and Heide play more? 

Edited by ledies22
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, IU Scott said:

So how many players actually shot over 40% this year in college basketball 

Those that took over 100 3 point shots? 36.  11 from high-major conferences. 

15 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Take Heide and Colvin out.  They only shot 58 and 40 3s all season. 

26 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

What good is a 40% shooter if they don’t shoot. How many of those averaged more than 4 attempts a game. 

And if all you need are 40% 3 pt shooters to win, why didn’t Gillis, Colvin, and Heide play more? 

Gillis averaged over 21 minutes per game.  He played quite a bit, and one of the more underrated players out there, IMO.  Is he a first round prospect? No, but he's a great bench asset and you know what you're getting: 6-10 points, 4-5 boards, a career 40% 3 point shooter and an 86% free throw shooter.  When he announced he was transferring, my first thought was "I'd take him".  He'd never do it because he'd get slaughtered going back to West La-la-land, but still. 

6 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Take Heide and Colvin out.  They only shot 58 and 40 3s all season. 

That would have put them third and tied for fifth on the IU roster ahead of Cupps and Leal. I wasn't basing it on 100 minimum attempts. I'd love to find a young transfer or two who shot 40% plus, but didn't get a lot of playing time on a very good team. 

10 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

That would have put them third and tied for fifth on the IU roster ahead of Cupps and Leal. I wasn't basing it on 100 minimum attempts. I'd love to find a young transfer or two who shot 40% plus, but didn't get a lot of playing time on a very good team. 

Number of attempts matters. I don’t think anyone would argue that IU had two sharpshooters last year because Ware and Leal made 40%+ of their threes at low volume. Teams weren’t particularly concerned with Ware shooting threes, despite the high percentage, because he didn’t do it very often. IMO, a 35% shooter that shot 150 threes is better than a 45% shooter who shot 40.

I also think Purdue in particular has a little bit of an inflated 3% all around due to how much attention Edey drew. Plug those guys into most other teams, and they don’t get nearly as many clean looks.

Edited by Kdug
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, 13th&Jackson said:

And they were fifth and sixth on Purdue's roster in terms of 3s attempted.  Point being, it's a small sample size. 

In fact, Heide and Ware shot the same number of 3s all season with Heide making exactly one more than Ware.  And Heide got about 14 minutes per game, so he wasn't exactly devoid of playing time.  Ware is a guy that CAN hit a 3, but he's not what I'd call a 3 point threat, only because his sample size is so low. 

On 4/17/2024 at 11:07 AM, IUFLA said:

Saying we want 3 point shooters without naming names can't be debated very well...

How so?  

The debate would be whether or not more outside shooters are needed.

We definitely need better outside shooting much more than we needed another big body clogging up the post.  I would rather that 1.2 million (or some of it) go towards the best shooting guard in the portal.

Edited by iuswingman
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

How so?  

We definitely need better outside shooting much more than we needed another big body clogging up the post.  I would rather that 1.2 million (or some of it) go towards the best shooting guard in the portal.

According to 24/7, the number one ranked SG/CG in the portal is a senior that is a career 36% three point shooter, but as a freshman, he only shot 23%. 

The number two ranked SG/CG in the portal is a freshman that shot 32% from three this season. 

Sounds like either one would be a good pickup, right? The senior is established, and the freshman is almost as good as the senior with room for more improvement. 

The #2 ranked SG/CG in the portal is Kanaan Carlyle. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

How so?  

Because there's way more to the game of basketball than simply being a good 3 point shooter...

If you say, "we need outside shooting" in a generic sense, I'd agree...

But without getting a specific name, there's not much to discuss...

And, as I pointed out yesterday, we might be well positioned there anyway, with Mac, Rice, and possibly Carlyle...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Because there's way more to the game of basketball than simply being a good 3 point shooter...

If you say, "we need outside shooting" in a generic sense, I'd agree...

But without getting a specific name, there's not much to discuss...

And, as I pointed out yesterday, we might be well positioned there anyway, with Mac, Rice, and possibly Carlyle...

Ballo down low, Reneau either down low or floating midrange and having MM, Rice, Carlyle and Galloway to kick it out to? That's a significant upgrade from this past year. 

• Like 5

Just now, Zlinedavid said:

Ballo down low, Reneau either down low or floating midrange and having MM, Rice, Carlyle and Galloway to kick it out to? That's a significant upgrade from this past year. 

And Essegian if he's coming

• Like 1

Just now, IUFLA said:

And Essegian if he's coming

If you've got 5 "shooters" and Trey Galloway is the worst 3 point shooter of the group.....I'll take it.  Because I think Trey's shooting will improve if he's not having to run the entire backcourt by himself. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

According to 24/7, the number one ranked SG/CG in the portal is a senior that is a career 36% three point shooter, but as a freshman, he only shot 23%. 

The number two ranked SG/CG in the portal is a freshman that shot 32% from three this season. 

Sounds like either one would be a good pickup, right? The senior is established, and the freshman is almost as good as the senior with room for more improvement. 

The #2 ranked SG/CG in the portal is Kanaan Carlyle. 

And I will be happy when KC announces.

The problem still is the addition of Ballo means we are going to again clog the post with bigs which is why adding him was great and bad at the same time.

Edited by iuswingman

11 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

The problem still is the addition of Ballo means we are going to again clog the post with bigs which is why adding him was great and bad at the same time.

And having Reneau as our only "big" isn't going to get much done either. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

Having two excellent post players wasn't our problem last year, and won't be this year. The issue was we offered next to nothing in the backcourt to balance them out. Adding Rice and Carlyle, with Mgbako, Galloway and Tucker on the wing, has real potential to change that dynamic.

• Like 5

Adding someone like Ballo was absolutely necessary, due to out lack of front-court depth and MR's propensity to get in foul trouble. Also have to remember how many total roster spots we needed to fill, and how many we still need to fill. Plenty of spots available for all positions.

It's worth pointing out that Reneau and Ballo's minutes aren't likely to be carbon copies of one another. Yes, they will share the court together (and it remains to be seen how they compliment or contradict the other), but it's likely that the minutes will be staggered in many ways. Just because we have both doesn't mean they'll be subbed in and out at the exact same times, so each will have an opportunity to be a post focus.

More than anything, the team needs to be malleable next year. Yes, we need shooters, and it looks like that is being addressed.

We also had success with two bigs, and perhaps Reneau is the one to expand his footprint a little more so that Ballo can own the low paint.

3 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

perhaps Reneau is the one to expand his footprint a little more so that Ballo can own the low paint

This is what I'm hoping for.  If Reneau can float between the low post, mid range and occasionally step out for a 3, we're in good shape and could play him and Ballo together without any issues.  I don't expect Reneau to be a 3 point sniper, but if he can step out and at least make the defense respect his shot, he's going to be a major asset. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

This is what I'm hoping for.  If Reneau can float between the low post, mid range and occasionally step out for a 3, we're in good shape and could play him and Ballo together without any issues.  I don't expect Reneau to be a 3 point sniper, but if he can step out and at least make the defense respect his shot, he's going to be a major asset. 

Malik's 3 point shooting and ability to handle the ball were considerably better last season. There were times our guards were pressured full court that Malik ended up bringing the ball up the court. If he continues to improve those areas of his game, he might compliment Ballo better than we think.

Imagine if Ballo's man helps out on Malik or tries to block his shot. Ballo will be free for lobs or put backs. That's exactly Ballo's game.

• Like 3