Oumar Ballo, Commits to INDIANA

7 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

That's the thing. We actually shot it pretty well in TJD's last year, over 36% as a team, 48th in the country. In conference play we were even better: 38% and 3rd in the Big Ten. The problem is we were dead last in the conference in attempts, and 352nd overall in 3PA per game. Volume is going to be as important as percentage.

1000%... just like in school. It's better to have 20 test to divide by then just three or four of them your percentage would suck if you only had three or four test and they are all 50s and if you had 20 test and four of them were in the 50s four of them were in the 80s four of them were in the 70s. Your overall score wouldn't be that bad. I don't understand how you don't shoot the ball and let me tell you they were open.... especially at the free throw line...

Edited by Dawg Bawls

10 hours ago, kyhoosier29 said:

This is where I am. I’ll be extremely disappointed and angry if we don’t snag a couple sharpshooters. I have no faith next season will be much better without a couple. We’ve seen this story every year recently. The pickups so far are great and I’m happy with them, but for crying out loud FIND US A REAL SHOOTER OR TWO!!

Yes, please!

16 hours ago, DWB said:

All you guys make good points. No doubt the recruits we've got committed are talented. But talent doesn't equate to winning. 

I've been listening to Rabjohns on a podcast and he's saying IU's still going after yet another, big man. that would give us 3 bigs. All talented, all productive, but if don't have anybody that can stretch the floor, defenses will just clog the lane.

It's nice to see all you guys saying I'm wrong. Honestly hope you're right. But jury is still out for me on how productive and wins we get next year.

While I’m excited about the addition of Tucker, Rice and Ballo, I see a repeat of last year unless we get a couple of legitimate 3pt shooters…and I mean an in your face type of guy!

Someone talk me down off the ledge…please.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

While I’m excited about the addition of Tucker, Rice and Ballo, I see a repeat of last year unless we get a couple of legitimate 3pt shooters…and I mean an in your face type of guy!

Having guys like Carlye and Rice that can attack the basket, make mid range jump shots and make 3s at a 32-34% range will put pressure on the D. More so than a 40% shooter. Galloway added with those guys gives you 3 guys to attack off the bounce. Galloway proved to be a OK spot up shooter his Junior season. If he can get back to 32-34% range and MM shoots in the 35-37% as a volume shooter we will be in good shape. Scoring won’t be the problem. Rice and Carlye will be tougher to guard than a guy like Loyer or Essigan. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Saying we want 3 point shooters without naming names can't be debated very well...

The kid from Dayton who came out probably costs too much money right? CE is visiting today. Was his sophomore playing time cut down specifically due to his back injury? If so I think he’s very valuable. To back up Malik the kid from Evansville would be a better option than Malone (I haven’t looked at his stats but don’t see how it can be higher than the Evansville kid) but if he’s truly going to wait to decide then he’s probably gonna get paid more than we are willing to spend because I think it’s a strategy for him to wait for when teams miss out on the players they want then are scrambling and will over pay. Who else could we go after besides Conwell, Dayton kid, and CE? If others are gonna wait to announce they are entering the portal then hopefully we are talking to shooters in back channels.

1 minute ago, 94hoosier said:

Having guys like Carlye and Rice that can attack the basket, make mid range jump shots and make 3s at a 32-34% range will put pressure on the D. More so than a 40% shooter. Galloway added with those guys gives you 3 guys to attack off the bounce. Galloway proved to be a OK spot up shooter his Junior season. If he can get back to 32-34% range and MM shoots in the 35-37% as a volume shooter we will be in good shape. Scoring won’t be the problem. Rice and Carlye will be tougher to guard than a guy like Loyer or Essigan. 

Don’t forget Tuckers best strength is his midrange game too

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 94hoosier said:

Thank you!!

I am tring to think of thos years tip teams. Who had a real "designated sharp shooter"

It's a bit overblown.we just need good players that shoot it respectuffly. Not a designated sharp shooter.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

Freshman year: 32 games started, 23/76 3PT shooting, 30%.  Kind of meh, right?
Sophomore year, same coach: 36 games started, 88/220 3PT shooting, 40%. 

Say hi to Yogi Ferrell, btw. 

Kids develop skills.  Kids enhance skills.  Kids evolve their game. 

Watch TJD as a sophomore and tell me that this kid would be leading fast breaks as a senior.  Go back and watch DJ White as a freshman vs a senior: went from a high flying mid-range shot blocker into a low post beast. 

We have talented players, even ones that were on the roster last year.  Give them time. 

4 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

After this past year and in today's environment, I think the checkbook is wide open. 

As long as we have 8 donors that are willing to spend $1m a year or 4 donors $2m a year then you’re probably right. They also have to be committed to future inflation too

4 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

As long as we have 8 donors that are willing to spend $1m a year or 4 donors $2m a year then you’re probably right. They also have to be committed to future inflation too

You don't get to that level of wealth without knowing how to have a rate of return greater than inflation. 

10 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Freshman year: 32 games started, 23/76 3PT shooting, 30%.  Kind of meh, right?
Sophomore year, same coach: 36 games started, 88/220 3PT shooting, 40%. 

Say hi to Yogi Ferrell, btw. 

Kids develop skills.  Kids enhance skills.  Kids evolve their game. 

Watch TJD as a sophomore and tell me that this kid would be leading fast breaks as a senior.  Go back and watch DJ White as a freshman vs a senior: went from a high flying mid-range shot blocker into a low post beast. 

We have talented players, even ones that were on the roster last year.  Give them time. 

Crean and Tim Buckley were excellent at developing shooting skills. Yogi, Vic, Watford, Zeisloft, Bielfeldt all improved their three point shooting under that staff. We haven't seen the same since then. 

• Like 3